Shit so small it's Irrelevant

LongRider

Just now, Larry of the Lake said:

This is essentially Dixon's response to Mason upon hearing his tale of being stranded in a ghost city during the calendar change in Mason & Dixon

Is that from the Pynchon book?

Well. As you recall, hangings are festive occasions, while foods and drinks are hawked and consumed.  At least for ... some.  Maybe next cycle the protestors could burn down the vastly wealthy Southern companies in Liverpool, who brought in the cotton auctioned on the Liverpool Cotton Exchange.  And, incidentally financed one way and another the CSA attempts to build a navy in the yards there, while continuing the import of cotton)?  Those guys sure did drink a lotta champagne ... until found out -- they were doing illegal stuffs, you betcha.

1 minute ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Yeah, only mentioned it because you expressed some interest in it when I quoted something from it awhile ago and I have become somewhat obsessed w the book according to friends and family

Ah, been looking for something to read, forgot about that one, but it's on hold at the library now.    :) 

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Well. As you recall, hangings are festive occasions, while foods and drinks are hawked and consumed.  At least for ... some. 

The 'Not Just the Tudors' podcast has an episode on 700 years of public executions in London.  Grisly, but fascinating. 

And I spent all afternoon scurrying about to bring in All the Things that we may need for a few very nasty days that include the full weekend, which is also Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and, again, the weekend, as storm rolls in, temps plunge below freezing along with last part of the rain and wind, etc.  Plus, you know, the tripledemic is so bad here, that again, we usual group for Christmas decided to not get together -- for third Christmas in a row.

Under the circumstances, I'm remarkable cheerful. Got this far, haven't we? Ha! :cheers:

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Under the circumstances, I'm remarkable cheerful. Got this far, haven't we? Ha! :cheers:

Oh yeah, I saw something about a blizzard heading East.  Lay low and eat all the sweets!   

Took the youngest and her friend up to the ski hill this morning. Oldest came along for the ride. We’re in the midst of a pretty rare cold snap with snow, but not complaining. Very mild here comparatively. 

There’s only two larger routes to get to my place. There was an accident. Route blocked. Didn’t figure that out until we saw the tape. Detour. So I turn bit earlier than the detour to head back and this driver just cuts the exit off to so the same thing but now I got to wait, and holy fuck if that didn’t piss me off. My oldest had this smirk on her face as I cursed like a motherfucker. But oh wait. Now the other route is fucked. Backed up again. People getting frustrated or pissed off and taking chances. Construction. 

It took me 35 minutes to drop the girls off at the hill. Almost 3 hours to get home. My oldest’s sense of humor turned out to be clutch lol

We're all in for it through the entire holiday weekend, one way or another. 

We'll get tons of rain and wind again, then ice due the temps quite far below freezing.  People are going to get hurt in all kinds of accidents, one fears, while the hospitals are overwhelmed with tripledemic already.

I'd bet on there being at least one massive, terrible fire, caused because so many won't have adequate heat provided and will improvise heating, with ovens, space heaters, and some, lordessa save us, even with bbq grills inside!

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I guess Ted Cruz will be heading off to Cancun again?

Inquired of my TX friends as to the whereabouts of this pos -- NOBODY KNOWS!  :ph34r:

But so far grid is holding, at least in Austin, where my friends headed out to play their scheduled gigs tonight, though it is indeed very cold.

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He'd get a warm welcome in Moscow. 

Comrade Snowden would welcome Comrade Cruz.  

edt; Comrade Snowden could discuss with Comrade Cruz many of the finer points in obtaining Russian citizenship. 

Well, if we’re doing the weather report this lovely Christmas Day….

We were ready for the huge storm, shovels and salt on the porch on Friday, but after heavy rain on Thursday and then the cold moving in to change it to snow Friday morning, the heavy precipitation moved on and after a day of snow drifting down we only got a few inches, not even 10 cm. Around 6 pm I went out and shoveled and cleared off most of the car, but my fingers were so frozen I had to go back in the house to thaw out. Then I went and finished the job, taking another half hour to get the undercoating of ice from the night’s rain off the car. It was fortunate that I could open the driver’s side door, the passenger doors wouldn’t open. I then did what my brother and I now call the Walmart trick. The local mall has a two level underground parking garage. You drive to the bottom level and wander around Walmart for an hour while your car completely defrosts. 

Last night at Christmas Eve dinner with my brother and SiL, my brother told me that friends of theirs, who moved to a suburb north of the city so they could buy a McMansion, told them the husband had already shoveled four times and there were massive piles of snow on everyone’s lawns. Nothing like living in the snow belt! And the snow went south of us as well. Poor Buffalo. It’s always, poor Buffalo. My brother said he watched the Buffalo news on tv and they explained that while the airport was open, the runways weren’t. 

The indigenous people used to winter here, smart people.

The only crazy thing has been the wind. I gather some of the gusts have hit 100 km.

Archived