Shit so small it's Irrelevant

LongRider

It's a bit morbid but the details coming out about the killing of the students in Idaho last year are a bit strange. I'd heard four people were killed and two housemates survived I'd just assumed they'd slept through it. Apparently at least one of the people killed was awake at the time though so presumably there was a struggle. The other two roommates killed had a dog in their room which, again, you'd think would make a lot of noise and finally one of the surviving housemates woke up saw a strange man walking through the house and yet didn't call the police until nearly 8 hours later.

Still, it seems like the police have done quite a good job to track down the killer so quickly.

Got into a vehicle accident this morning coming back from my coffee run. Was waiting at a light to head left, it turned orange, oncoming vehicle was slowing down, so I proceeded to make my turn and the person who was slowing down for the [now] red  light changed their mind and decided to run it.

Everyone is fine.

Probably 3 to 4k dmg to my truck [yes I know, I've been shopping, I don't need it here in BC] but like, fuck, man lol it's going to ding my resale. 

She thanked me for being calm. She was pretty rattled.

On 1/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, ljkeane said:

yet didn't call the police until nearly 8 hours later.

Perhaps -- terrified?

~~~~~~~~~~

10 minutes ago, JGP said:

Everyone is fine.

So glad to learn the damage was confined to vehicle, not you!

47 minutes ago, JGP said:

Got into a vehicle accident this morning coming back from my coffee run. Was waiting at a light to head left, it turned orange, oncoming vehicle was slowing down, so I proceeded to make my turn and the person who was slowing down for the [now] red  light changed their mind and decided to run it.

Everyone is fine.

Probably 3 to 4k dmg to my truck [yes I know, I've been shopping, I don't need it here in BC] but like, fuck, man lol it's going to ding my resale. 

She thanked me for being calm. She was pretty rattled.

Quoting myself like a scrub. 

Thinking about it now after all the phone tag is complete. She was really worried. The lady who witnessed it was also stiff giving off that whole, I got you vibe for the other driver [the way they guarded when I approached, whew] so like, are guys fucking losing their minds  at the scenes of accidents or this a Man thing? Both? 

Been in two fender benders. The first was a woman (panicking); second, man (fearful). The reasons for this was likely because they either had no insurance or a suspended license, while also being at fault.

During the course of calming them down and learning how miserable their lives were, I called it even and we all left without corporate / government involvement. Yes, it’s true; I’m a living saint.

46 minutes ago, JGP said:

Quoting myself like a scrub. 

Thinking about it now after all the phone tag is complete. She was really worried. The lady who witnessed it was also stiff giving off that whole, I got you vibe for the other driver [the way they guarded when I approached, whew] so like, are guys fucking losing their minds  at the scenes of accidents or this a Man thing? Both? 

Could be a financial thing, fear about the increase to insurance. I don’t know how much it goes up in BC. Maybe she had a previous accident. Maybe she needs her car for work and is upset about not having it while it gets repaired and the need to get a rental, even if covered by insurance. Also, women get emotional (not all women, but a lot). Maybe she’s afraid about what her husband or boyfriend or dad will say. Or mom.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Could be a financial thing, fear about the increase to insurance. I don’t know how much it goes up in BC. Maybe she had a previous accident. Maybe she needs her car for work and is upset about not having it while it gets repaired and the need to get a rental, even if covered by insurance. Also, women get emotional (not all women, but a lot). Maybe she’s afraid about what her husband or boyfriend or dad will say. Or mom.

Yeah, could be lots of things. I shouldn't over analyze it.

It'll probably be my fault [I was turning, oncoming has right of way] which is amusing since ICBC has swapped to no fault model to bring rates down, but no fault only applies to their insurance claim payouts I suppose, because of course. :p

I don't have a dash cam. Depends on the witness, but honestly, doesn't matter. My driving record is clean besides speeding. Won't affect my rate. Don't really care if it does, but my vehicle is on the cusp of being paid off [O% financing, so yeah, why wouldn't I finance it] and at less than 40k kms on a 2019 84k sticker price truck I hope I didn't lose too much value because of this, but no big either way at the end of the day I suppose.

22 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- credit for staying calm, though; which is usually the best approach :)

Calm is my default; unless I have to ask you to do something twenty fucking times, or I find a rotting sandwich stuffed into a drawer in the sidetable by your bed. 

The item I came to post about is really small compared to a car accident.

I was in the grocery store the other day and they just happened to have mandarin oranges on sale. The kind they have in a net bag, you know? Eight or nine in a bag? I grabbed a bag to buy and it just happened that the orange my fingers took hold off was soft, so about to go bad. Not wanting to buy it and have to throw one out immediately, or, worse, forget about it and then have several go rotten, I reached for another bag. It had a very soft orange as well.

I swear I checked at least ten bags, and every one of them had one very soft orange, looking fine if you just glanced at it and didn’t touch it, while the rest were firm. Cynical me says the packing company keeps a bin of old but not yet spoiled oranges and tosses one of these  into every bag. A win-win for them, they don’t throw out the almost bad oranges and if people don’t eat them immediately the bag might go rotten and then the people go buy more. I can’t imagine how else every bag had one soft orange in it, and only one.

Everybody has an angle.

2 minutes ago, JGP said:

Gala > all other Apples.

My fav! Though I bought some Golden Delicious and Granny Smith yesterday to make this wonderful French Apple Cake I saw on a PBS cooking show a while ago. You peel and slice the apples and then gently cook them in butter and some brandy, then make the batter while the apples cool, mix them together and bake in a springform pan. The mix of sweet and tart makes a delicious cake!

Archived