Films or shows that are bad… but you sincerely love them anyway…

Ser Scot A Ellison

I rewatched Shakespeare in Love last night for the first time in twenty years.  

It’s bad.  The acting melodramatic, the directing pushes the actors to chew the scenery, and the way the story follows the plot of the play (Romeo and Juliet) Shakespeare is writing and directing is just saccharine.  The gratuitous display of female anatomy is absolutely unnecessary and given that Harvey Weinstein was one of the producers makes me very uncomfortable.

I still enjoy it.  It speaks to my youthful romantic heart and the desire for romantic love above all else.  Judy Dench is masterful and incredibly powerful in her turn as Queen Bess.  

Any films or shows that do that for you?  Discuss.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

I rewatched it a few months back and adored it as much as I did as when I first saw it in a theatre. It's joyous. It knows exactly what it's doing at all times. Stoppard's script is practically perfect.

I would love to see this in a theater.  My son is lobbying his high school theater troop to do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead for next fall’s production.  :)

5 hours ago, Ran said:

I rewatched it a few months back and adored it as much as I did as when I first saw it in a theatre. It's joyous. It knows exactly what it's doing at all times. Stoppard's script is practically perfect.

Exactly. That's almost the whole point of the script.  Not a single line of dialog is wasted. I sometimes question Paltrow's dedication and/or understanding of what was being done, but every other actor in the production is obviously enjoying every word they speak....

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I rewatched Shakespeare in Love last night for the first time in twenty years.  

It’s bad.  The acting melodramatic, the directing pushes the actors to chew the scenery, and the way the story follows the plot of the play (Romeo and Juliet) Shakespeare is writing and directing is just saccharine.  The gratuitous display of female anatomy is absolutely unnecessary and given that Harvey Weinstein was one of the producers makes me very uncomfortable.

I still enjoy it.  It speaks to my youthful romantic heart and the desire for romantic love above all else.  Judy Dench is masterful and incredibly powerful in her turn as Queen Bess.  

Any films or shows that do that for you?  Discuss.

Didn't it win the oscar?

Twister. That's my movie crack. If it's on, and I come across it, I'm watching at least ten minutes of it. Minimum.  

Some will say Shawshank is the movie that died this for them, but that movie is just genuinely unwatchable.  That's my hot take on that.  

Mine would mostly be horror films but Prophecy the killer mutant bear movie from the 70's is my favorite. It really walks that fine line between "so bad it's good" and legitimately watchable. It always reminded me of a long, great X-Files episode.  

I don't really have time for TV that I think is bad, but I'm one of the few people who likes True Detective's second season despite it's flaws. Same with John From Cincinnati which is really great even if I understand why it failed to grab people. I wonder if the wtf mystery element would have played better after Lost. 

32 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Final destination, I’m a sucker for all of em 

I remember liking the first two well enough, but I think good horror needs more than "whose next and how?" That was my problem with a few of the Friday the 13th sequels too. 

17 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Some will say Shawshank is the movie that died this for them, but that movie is just genuinely unwatchable.  That's my hot take on that.  

Wait, Shawshank is unwatchable? I love every minute of it!

Yeah, Chronicles of Riddick is up there for me. Also the Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift (I don't count 2 Fast coz I love that for its badness, and I don't count the rest of the FF films coz most of them are actually good so there)

On 10/30/2022 at 4:13 AM, Slurktan said:

Didn't it win the oscar?

To be fair, this isn't a cast-iron indicator of whether a film is good. Crash won an Oscar. 

20 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

On the one hand no-one will say that Shawshank did this for them coz no-one thinks Shawshank is bad, but on the other I sympathise because I fucking hate Forrest Gump, albeit I do think I'll get a bit more agreement there than you do on Shawshank. 

Archived