Films or shows that are bad… but you sincerely love them anyway…

Ser Scot A Ellison

53 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Wasn't Shawshank panned with it first came out? I seem to recall it was a critical and commercial failure on release.

No.  While it was undoubtedly a box office failure, other than an (in)famous LA Times review it was almost universally praised by critics and received 7 Oscar nominations.  I just can't believe @Jaxom 1974 can be so obtuse.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

No.  While it was undoubtedly a box office failure, other than an (in)famous LA Times review it was almost universally praised by critics and received 7 Oscar nominations.  I just can't believe @Jaxom 1974 can be so obtuse.

It only holds up of you watch it with the understanding that Andy really was a murderer and sociopath. 

You're going to tell me he dug a man sized hole in the wall of his cell over THIRTY years and only hid it behind a poster? And no one found it? Ridiculous. 

Supernatural... It's been pretty interesting at first but once they started popping people back from the dead whenever convenient, the quality dropped significantly. Still, I loved and watched it for years after that point.

31 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It only holds up of you watch it with the understanding that Andy really was a murderer and sociopath. 

You're going to tell me he dug a man sized hole in the wall of his cell over THIRTY years and only hid it behind a poster? And no one found it? Ridiculous. 

The first one doesn't make any sense and the second is whiny overreaction - of course it's ridiculous but at least it's meticulously established how he pulled it off throughout the film.  This is like saying Apocalypse Now sucks because the premise/mission is ridiculous and unrealistic.

37 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

You watching:

Toy Story: You telling me NOBODY noticed these toys are fucking alive when someone leaves the room?!

Back to the Future: You could never fit a nuclear powered reactor in the back of that car! You telling me some old guy could invent time travel and nobody would find out!

Superman / Spiderman / Batman: Yeah right, like nobody would recognise them underneath their costume!

*Storms out the theatre fuelled by self righteous rage!!

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

The first one doesn't make any sense and the second is whiny overreaction - of course it's ridiculous but at least it's meticulously established how he pulled it off throughout the film.  This is like saying Apocalypse Now sucks because the premise/mission is ridiculous and unrealistic.

Why? The first is sensible if you actually take the idea that he did kill his wife. That he isn't actually innocent.  I mean, he ends up running scam after shady scam in prison. He is not a good guy. You're supposed to believe he is, but when you peer closely you realize he's a terrible person doing terrible things for a purely selfish reasons.

The second is a glaring plot hole. One that takes me out of the story.

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why? The first is sensible if you actually take the idea that he did kill his wife. That he isn't actually innocent.  I mean, he ends up running scam after shady scam in prison. He is not a good guy. You're supposed to believe he is, but when you peer closely you realize he's a terrible person doing terrible things for a purely selfish reasons.

Right… like he had a choice.  “Lets see… gang rape… or money laundering.”  ^Clearly, the moral and ethical person would pick gang rape.^

:shocked:

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The idea he has to be sociopathic in order to facilitate the warden's schemes is absurd unless you expect all your protagonists to be Gandhi.

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

10yr old me loved Big Trouble In Little China.  Ridiculous and cheesy and somehow still awesome.  I’m terrified to rewatch in case I destroy it.

Just remember that Kurt Russell thinks he's the 80s action hero, but he's actually the comic relief sidekick who gets beaten up.  The movie holds up for the most part. 

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's crazy how many Nirvana shirts I see on like tweens and teens. I always wonder if it's the parents, or they actually like the music, or just think old bands are cool. 

It's just the old band t-shirts that are cool. My sons and nieces wear them without even listening to the music.

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Others thought Shashank is overrated or mislabeled as an all timer...

Inflammatory Headline to Make Your Blood Boil

Is it really about Redpetion...?

The LA Times thought it was not great upon release

Sure I'm not going to convince any of you, but know I'm not alone out there...

All five of you are entitled to be wrong.

:P

Archived