Films or shows that are bad… but you sincerely love them anyway…

Ser Scot A Ellison

Bloodsport is the one that comes to mind when anyone asks this question. It's so utterly hilariously bad but at the same time I cannot switch it off. 

I think Inner Space is probably a pretty bad movie, but then it has Martin Short and Dennis Quaid being very good, so is it bad? Either way I love it and will watch when on.

Day After Tomorrow though is so insulting stupid that I derive no pleasure from it. I hated it when it came out, I hate it now. I hate everything Emmerich every did!

38 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Bloodsport is the one that comes to mind when anyone asks this question. It's so utterly hilariously bad but at the same time I cannot switch it off. 

I think Inner Space is probably a pretty bad movie, but then it has Martin Short and Dennis Quaid being very good, so is it bad? Either way I love it and will watch when on.

Day After Tomorrow though is so insulting stupid that I derive no pleasure from it. I hated it when it came out, I hate it now. I hate everything Emmerich every did!

More than “Moonfall”?

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Wait, Shawshank is unwatchable? I love every minute of it!

I said what I said.  

I mean, if you watch it with the belief that Andy actually was guilty of murder and that he actually a sociopath who's trying to escape, that helps a little...but overall, I still don't get the appeal.

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I still don't get the appeal.

This might help:
https://screenrant.com/shawshank-redemption-imdb-top-best-rated-movie-reason/#:~:text=Most importantly%2C The Shawshank Redemption,and enthrall in equal measure.

In an industry where opinion is constantly shifting, why does The Shawshank Redemption continue to court such passionate mass appeal?
Most importantly, The Shawshank Redemption is a roaring artistic success on every level. Not only do the performance of Freeman and Robbins rank among the best of all time, but Shawshank is filled with brilliantly realized supporting characters who surprise and enthrall in equal measure.

Despite being largely set in a less-than glamorous prison environment, The Shawshank Redemption offers fantastic visuals from Darabont and legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins. The character-driven story has a natural dynamism, allowing the audience the float along with Andy and Red's story during the uplifting moments, but bringing viewers to the edges of their seats during the intense, darker sequences.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The NOVA on the Ulfber+t was so much better than “Forged in Fire’s” version.

You mean this one? Watched it four or five times. :D

I am a massive fan of people doing amazing things with their hands. This guy is a legend.

34 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You mean this one? Watched it four or five times. :D

I am a massive fan of people doing amazing things with their hands. This guy is a legend.

Yes.  I’m acquainted with Ric Furrer online.  I want to take a sword making class.  :) 

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I genuinely enjoy Batman and Robin 

It's not a good movie, Schumacher in general is not a good director, but I like that style of camp. 

It's a GREAT movie.

Highlander: The Only One Movie That Was Made is a favorite guilty pleasure.

The TV series too, though I did try to rewatch it a while ago and the early ninties-ness of it was almost overwhelming (for someone who came of age in the 90's).

I cringe when I realize that grunge, baggy clothes, and ponytails are about to hit the cycle of 30 years later rediscovery.  My teenage son is already pulling out some of the shirts from the very back of my closet that should've been donated a decade ago.

4 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I cringe when I realize that grunge, baggy clothes, and ponytails are about to hit the cycle of 30 years later rediscovery.  My teenage son is already pulling out some of the shirts from the very back of my closet that should've been donated a decade ago.

It's crazy how many Nirvana shirts I see on like tweens and teens. I always wonder if it's the parents, or they actually like the music, or just think old bands are cool. 

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Highlander: The Only One Movie That Was Made is a favorite guilty pleasure.

That's a genuinely great movie, despite the best efforts of Christopher Lambert to screw things up.

Love it to bits.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Twister. That's my movie crack. If it's on, and I come across it, I'm watching at least ten minutes of it. Minimum.  

Some will say Shawshank is the movie that died this for them, but that movie is just genuinely unwatchable.  That's my hot take on that.  

Saw it in the theater. It was fantastic.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:33 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Mars Attacks! 

That's the right answer.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:47 PM, Raja said:

Should have just resurrected my old thread!

also in the theater.

On 10/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I am also guilty of enjoying the Riddick movies.

Chonicles was shit. Pitch Black was great. 

On 10/31/2022 at 5:57 AM, Heartofice said:

Wasn't Shawshank panned with it first came out? I seem to recall it was a critical and commercial failure on release.

15 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I genuinely enjoy Batman and Robin 

It's not a good movie, Schumacher in general is not a good director, but I like that style of camp. 

Sigh, another one I saw in the theater. I should have known something was up when the ice skates popped out of their boots.

-

This is a difficult one for me because stuff that I love I don't really consider "bad". But off the top of my head; Joe vs. the Volcano, Howard the Duck, and Predator 2. Armageddon Isn't a movie I love, but I find it hard to look away. 

19 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That's the right answer.

@Ser Scot A Ellison, 2-1, bitch! 

Also, Big Trouble in Little China, kinda qualifies. And I'm going to offend some people, but The Goonies belongs here too. 

Archived