Films or shows that are bad… but you sincerely love them anyway…

Ser Scot A Ellison

Prometheus is a good movie, but it has flaws, notably some dumb shit characters do. I believe it got crushed because people were expecting an Alien movie and it was only loosely associated with the franchise. The follow up tried to overcorrect for that and it was pretty bad. I'd recommend taking a look at this if you didn't like the movie, but are willing to give it another chance:

I mostly hate Covenant not because it’s a bad Alien movie but it’s a bad sequel to Prometheus. I was holding judgement on Prometheus because a good sequel that built on what came before could have fixed my problems I had with it. 

Covenant did nothing of the sort though, of all the Alien sequels it was the most lazily derivative, the one that barely tried to do anything different, just recreate all the ‘stuff you stupid people like’. 

It didn’t build on the world or the mythology of the engineers, it didn’t answer any major philosophical questions, it didn’t wow us with the universes awe and majesty. It just did some boring alien shit.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Others thought Shashank is overrated or mislabeled as an all timer...

Inflammatory Headline to Make Your Blood Boil

Is it really about Redpetion...?

The LA Times thought it was not great upon release

Sure I'm not going to convince any of you, but know I'm not alone out there...

What say there, fuzzy britches?

Shawshank is an all-time great. Of all the movies to stand against...Shawshank? I can understand being irritated by knee-jerk responses to mediocrity based on media instruction, though...deleted Beatles rant.

For the thread question...Superman. I cannot stand Superman as a comic character but I love every Superman movie.

Do people like the Paranormal Activity movies? I like all those as well.

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Prometheus is a good movie, but it has flaws

Alarm bells started going when for some inexplicable reason, the crew of this Super Important Mission are introduced to each other only once they are a gazillion miles from Earth.

Still enjoyed it, dumb as it is.

44 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Alarm bells started going when for some inexplicable reason, the crew of this Super Important Mission are introduced to each other only once they are a gazillion miles from Earth.

Still enjoyed it, dumb as it is.

Doesn't the biologist first get infected and the cartographer gets them lost?

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I was amazed to discover today that my brother, a man with two English Lit degrees, is completely unfamiliar with the premise of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Gonna show him the Pearce/Cavaezel movie at the weekend.

I want to fight him. Also, I've seen that movie too many times. It's a pretty meh adaptation. 

28 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He's never seen Footloose either.

I've seen parts of Footloose...

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I was about to say it's the only one, then I noticed a Gerard Depardieu miniseries that scores 7.8 on imdb.

Have you seen that one?

No, and I checked, can't watch it here. There's a few older versions that are popular. In V for Vendetta, for example, V and Evey watch the 1934 adaptation. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I was amazed to discover today that my brother, a man with two English Lit degrees, is completely unfamiliar with the premise of The Count of Monte Cristo.

English literature, not French!

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

He's never seen Footloose either.

I'm liking him more already.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Gonna show him the Pearce/Cavaezel movie at the weekend.

It'd more shocking if he had a degree in French literature, wouldn't it?

Archived