Sansa is slowly killing Sweetrobin

Kierria

Sweetrobin is slowly being poisoned.  It is not yet a crime of murder because the child is still alive but Sansa is part of the insidious plot to murder the child and take all that is his.  Will Sansa go through with the murder?  The odds are close to even but does lean lightly to Sansa doing the crime. 

Look back on Sansa's past and tell me what you think.  Tell me what you think will happen. 

I think this plot is an example of GRRM challenging his young hero characters as they grow and become more aware of their place in the world in all its complexities. Like Bran with Hodor, I don't think Sansa fully knows what's going on with Sweetrobin, although there is a part of her that seems to know.

If/when Sweetrobin dies, maybe that is when she wakes up and starts feeling like she played a part in it, and then backs off from the moral precipice that Littlefinger has slowly been pushing her toward.

There are a lot more unknowns in Sansa's chapters, though, so I'm pretty agnostic on where it will go.

1 hour ago, Darth Sidious said:

The murder of Robin Arryn will be the first time that Sansa kills with her own hands. Sansa will fall in love with Harry. He tells her to poison Robin so they can inherit. 

Harry has to gain her trust first. Easy enough for Joffrey, but Sansa's already wary of him.

First of all, the last time Sansa gave Robert sweetsleep, it was with a maester's permission (A Feast for Crow, chapter 41: Alayne II):

“Just give him a cup of the sweetmilk before we go, and another at the feast, and there should be no trouble.”

“Very well.” They paused at the foot of the stairs. “But this must be the last. For half a year, or longer.”

Second (and following from the first) she can hardly be part of a plot to poison Robert when she learned of the plot only after administering the sweetsleep - she only learned of Littlefinger's plan after they went down from the Eyrie, where the above conversation happened.

Third, Sansa definitely doesn't want Robert to die (The Winds of Winter, sample chapter: Alayne):

If the gods are good and he lives long enough to wed, his wife will admire his hair, surely.  That much she will love about him.

So it's clear that Sansa isn't participating in any plot to kill Sweetrobin. At most you can accuse her of pretending not to notice others poisoning Sweetrobin, but there is hardly any evidence to reach such a conclusion.

Edited by GMantis

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Unless he's already on the way there (my headcanon is that he's received lead poisoning for years).

In my head canon, Sansa will have just had enough of the little snot, and will suffocate him with a pillow.

Edited by SeanF

I am almost sure of it.  Sansa will kill Robert Arryn.  By poison or strangulation doesn't matter.  Sansa will do this for personal gain.  She is known as a bastard and it will be hard to prove otherwise.  Her only way to power is through Littlefinger.  He wants to remove Robert Arryn and he will convince Sansa to do it.  

7 minutes ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

She is known as a bastard and it will be hard to prove otherwise.

All she has to do is stop dying her hair and stop pretending to be a bastard. People aren't stupid.

8 minutes ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Her only way to power is through Littlefinger.

More like Littlefinger's only way to power is through Sansa. He cannot rule on his own, that's why he needs to rule through Sweetrobin as regent and why he now needs Sansa. He's had to use other people to climb his way to the top. Jon Arryn, Robert, Lysa. He's no good on his own.

More and more, I am coming to the conclusion that Sweetrobin will survive the series outright. He just checks all the classic GRRM boxes for "unexpected survivor." He is in the category of "cripples, bastards and broken things," and I think George likes to have the traditionally "weak" or "fragile" characters, like Bran or Sweetrobin be the people who persevere due to some overlooked inner strength. What I'm saying is, Sweetrobin will live just to keep being a pain in the ass.

As to Sansa, contradictory things can be true. I believe she is slowly poisoning Sweetrobin, and deep, deep down she knows that he is being poisoned. I don't believe she wants him to die, and she appears to sincerely think that what she is doing will benefit him in the end. That said, Sansa has a real failing in her tendency for denial. It's too painful to contemplate that Sweetrobin is dying, so she deludes herself that he's just fine. It's even more painful to admit that he's dying because she is poisoning him, so she tells herself that actually the sweetsleep is helping him get better, somehow.

It gets even more complicated when you consider that, in small doses, the drug is fairly helpful to Sweetrobin. He wouldn't have gotten down the Eyrie without it.

Sansa is a complex character capable of having conflicting desires and motivations, which is why posts that boil her down to "stupid bitch who betrayed her family and is killing Sweetrobin for power because reasons" so often miss the point. Sansa has a choice to make in the future; does she keep poisoning Sweetrobin, knowing what she knows about Littlefinger's intentions for him, or does she choose to stop giving him sweetsleep? Given her internal thoughts about the child, I find it hard to believe she would choose the former, however tempting the alternative might seem.

Edited by Nathan Stark

Yep but it's not a plot from her POV, it's just to keep him pliable with minimal fuss.

Robert isn't going to die though but Littlefinger and Harry are, and Sansa is going to take control of the Vale through Robert. The Vale will do whatever Sansa wants because she'll tell Robert to do it and he will because he loves her, or she'll name a Lord Protector of her choosing who will do whatever she tells them because they owe her their position. And with the Vale in her back pocket Sansa will move onto bigger pastures.

If Sweetrobin lives or dies will depend entirely on if his living or dying is of benefit to Sansa's political position.

I think it's likely Sweetrobin has a systemic problem, which he already had before Sansa came along, when he was under Lysa's watchful glare from the start. Sweetrobin has some terrible seizures, and without the sert of technology we have, it's well likely that he'll die from the colatteral effects of his neurological issues. His issues would have to have started after she and Littlefinger came along for it to be compatible with poisoning.

29 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

It gets even more complicated when you consider that, in small doses, the drug is fairly helpful to Sweetrobin. He wouldn't have gotten down the Eyrie without it.

I agree with you here. What it seems to me is that he's under palliative care, but no one told Lysa or Sweetrobin that it was it.

Whatever else is going on, Sansa isn't deliberately poisoning Sweetrobin.  She has yet to deliberately harm anyone, and I don't see her starting with Robert Arryn.  Plus, she has no reason to do so.

She knows little about sweet sleep, and what she does know indicates some benefit for Sweetrobin.  Also, she is trying to make him stronger, not weaker.  As for Littlefinger's comment about Sweetrobin dying, everybody expects him to die soon.  Jaime said he "wouldn't live long enough to breed" and it's not homicide he's thinking of.  The boy is in very poor health.

Sansa isn't particularly ambitious, and I expect any ambition she does get to be directed toward events in the North, her homeland.  Sweetrobin isn't any kind of obstacle there and could potentially be helpful.

13 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

How does he get the lead poisoning? I don't recall any references to lead in the Eyrie. 

It's been a theory of mine that Lysa has been suffering from lead poisoning since she's mentioned to paint and powder her face as some types of face paint and powder used as late as the 18th century contained lead, while lead was used in paint as late as the late 20th century. Sweetrobin does seem to have symptoms of lead poisoning, particularly physical and developmental delays, irritability, and seizures; he could have absorbed lead through the placenta and breast milk.

As far as Sansa knows, Sweet Robin and Jon are her only living kin. She doesn’t know that Arya, Bran, and Rickon still live.  Also, her uncles aren’t available for her with Edmure in prison and the Blackfish AWOL.

Although, SR is a sickly brat, Sansa is growing fond of him, slowly.  I think she will save him from LF’s nefarious plans. 

Edited by LongRider