The Witcher S3: Bye Bye Henry

Ran

Season 3 is not likely to air before Summer 2023, but Netflix had to let people know about season 4 (which is obviously greenlit)... and the fact that Henry Cavill will be departing the role of Geralt and Rivia, to be replaced by Liam Hemsworth for the 4th season. Big news for Witcher fans. More here from the Netflix press release. Cavill posted to instagram about it. 

Will be very weird not to see him in the role, but I suspect it's because of the rumors of more Superman for him are likely true and he's clearing the schedule for it.

Many will say that this is due to Cavill returning as Superman, which no doubt is a factor.

But Cavill seems to be a really big fan of The Witcher property, and so I also choose to believe that he's depressed to see aggressively incompetent writers torch the material that he loves, and left this show as soon as he was able to. Which makes me like him even more.

I'm confused. I thought this show was the bastion of epic, 5-star fantasy television. A show that that pissed all over RoP, despite being lousy with shitty, soap-level actors, dribbling even shittier sub-soap dialogue.

Guess I was wrong.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'm confused. I thought this show was the bastion of epic, 5-star fantasy television. A show that that pissed all over RoP, despite being lousy with shitty, soap-level actors, dribbling even shittier sub-soap dialogue.

Guess I was wrong.

:lol:

I think you're confusing it with Game of Thrones, which even at its worst was far better and (incredible as it sounds) more respectful of its source material than either of those shows.

Edited by IFR

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Guess I was wrong.

From what I’ve seen, non-book fans of The Witcher love how schlocky it is (which that tweet you shared seems to back up). It sounds like Witcher hit that same sweet spot that shows like Merlin did in the past. 

It must be bringing in big money though, considering that Netflix would rather recast their lead than cancel it. They’re normally very quick to cancel projects even when they’re popular.

This reminds me of the recent report from a former writer on The Witcher:

Q: "Can you discuss how the production team came about, like how they were recruited for X-Men '97?"

A: "For sure, in fall of 2020, Marvel's head of streaming asked me to develop a take to revive this show. From there I pitched it out, was hired. My LP was the first hire and he brought along all the amazing talent that followed. My general rule was you HAD to be a fan. No questions.

I've been on show - namely Witcher - where some of the writers were not or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material.) It's a recipe for disaster and bad morale. Fandom as a litmus test checks egos, and makes all the long nights worth it.

You have to respect the work before you're allowed to add to its legacy."

Beau DeMayo worked on the first two seasons of the show, credited with writing an episode for each one.

It's a shame Cavill is leaving, but not a surprise. Getting him for this role in the first place was notable, getting him to stay for three seasons more so. Hemsworth isn't as big a name (well, it's a bigger name... I should say, he's a lower profile actor, though he has co-starred with Schwarzenegger and Stallone) but at the same time it could be a lot worse. |it would be nice if folks could praise Cavill without writing off Liam Hemsworth sight unseen.

Also, I wouldn't say the TV series is 'schlock' but then again, the books aren't anything other than well written fun fantasy either. They're not great literature or anything. (I'm reminded of a former boarder who used to look down on most such books but praised the Witcher to the heavens.)

Getting to four seasons isn't bad at all. Getting three seasons out of a bona fide movie star is great.

I'm in the "enjoyed the first 2 seasons" and haven't read the source material bucket, Cavill's performance was perfect for what it was and a huge part of that. I haven't seen that style of comedy from Liam and I'm not sure he's got it, but I guess I could have said the same from Cavill prior to the first season so I guess we'll see.

It's hard to see what could prise him away from this series if he was actually happy with it, I can't see Superman being enough although Bond would be. I guess if there's another casting announcement for him in the next few months that will give a reason, in the absence of that I think I'll be assuming he was unhappy.