The Witcher S3: Bye Bye Henry

Ran

I remember when Cavill was originally announced and a lot of people were very angry and unhappy with the choice, so it's possible - though I'd say less likely - that Hemsworth will likewise bring people around.

I also remember when the fan-favourite choice was Zach McGowan and he petitioned hard for the role and apparently didn't even get a look-in, despite a splendid performance on Black Sails as a very similar kind of taciturn badass whose heart constantly leads him into trouble (I suspect he wouldn't be considered now due to his age at 42, unless they thought Season 4 might be the last one; Hemsworth is only 32, so has a lot longer to grow into the role).

That's where this show dies, even if it doesn't know it yet. Writing was awful from the get go, Cavill's play was basically all what this show hinged on.

Not to mention changing the lead character in the middle of the show is bizzare in itself, even if it was for the better actor, not worse.

Edited by 3CityApache

Witcher always wins because I doubt many people had especially high expectations for it. It’s not an especially great show but it’s much better than it should be , and most importantly it’s often quite fun.

Thats why when something like RoP gets unfavourably compared to it, it just highlights just how disappointing Amazons effort is. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

but then again, the books aren't anything other than well written fun fantasy either. They're not great literature or anything. (I'm reminded of a former boarder who used to look down on most such books but praised the Witcher to the heavens.)

Well, opinions vary. I do think Sapkowski's books are great literature. It looks like there is a difference in approach between the English speaking world and the continental Europe. Here in Finland the Witcher books have won twice the Tähtifantasia Award, witch is a prestigious literary award given to the best fantasy book published in Finnish. Our publisher advertises this is the back covers of the Witcher books: "The double Tähtifantasia winning series!"

Tähtifantasia is awarded by a jury and it has a somewhat elistist reputation. George R.R. Martin has never won in, and he has only one nomination (for A Storm of Swords).

Obviously whether it’s good or not … will spend on whether it’s good or not. But I do wish more shows would do this, it makes much more sense to me than recasting the lead with a similar character and making up some weird in universe explanation for it.

The Witcher as great literature - I’m reliably(?)  informed by various Poles that the English translation does it few favours. They seem to consider it great popular literature anyway.

The Witcher as TV show - It’s ok but yeah, it’s better than Rings of Power. :P 

9 minutes ago, john said:

Obviously whether it’s good or not … will spend on whether it’s good or not. But I do wish more shows would do this, it makes much more sense to me than recasting the lead with a similar character and making up some weird in universe explanation for it.

The Witcher as great literature - I’m reliably(?)  informed by various Poles that the English translation does it few favours. They seem to consider it great popular literature anyway.

The Witcher as TV show - It’s ok but yeah, it’s better than Rings of Power. :P 

Are you... allowed to say anything bad about the books?

Please react with a sad emoji if you need help! ;)

I'm pretty shocked by this news.

As for the show... Has it been a masterpiece? No, but season 2 was pretty good all around, I thought. A big improvement on Season 1. The books themselves are really inconsistent: sometimes amazing (Baptism of Fire is like a concise, better version of A Feast for Crows), sometimes purely schlock. I know the writers get a lot of shit for NOT FOLLOWING THE BOOKS (the worst crime a human being can commit), but a close adaptation of Blood of Elves wouldn't work for TV at all.

All that said, Cavill was a huge part of the appeal of the show, and it's hard to see how the show will recover from his absence.

There are rumours Cavill quit because he didn’t like the divergence of his character from the books, and how he had to keep pressing for writers to stick to what the books said.

The reality however is that he’s actually addicted to Warhammer 3, and just wants more time to play his games.

https://www.pcgamer.com/henry-cavill-seems-to-be-treating-total-war-warhammer-3-like-a-part-time-job/

I think as a slice of watchable hokum, Season 2 was a big improvement over Season 1. As a faithful adaptation of the books, that did kinda get thrown out the window by the midpoint of Season 2. I do think with The Witcher there is some wriggle room as the Sapkowski's books - in English at any rate - have a much lower level of enthusiasm and engagement than many of the other series people talk about a lot, and the complaints about the books are pretty long (poor pacing, constant Mario memes, Geralt does sweet FA actual Witchering after the two story collections). Adapting the books to seven seasons of television - which was always odd, the books are pretty short - in a compelling way was always going to be a problem, especially given they kind of peter out at the end without a huge climactic event.

However, most of the problems can be overridden if the actor playing Geralt is charismatic enough and I think Cavill has that in spades (helped by his transition to being the Internet's Boyfriend for when Keanu isn't around). Asda Ownbrand Hemsworth I don't think can quite bank on that.

That said, Cavill wasn't a universally popular original choice for the role and I remember lots of scepticism, so maybe this will be Hemsworth's moment to really step up.