The Witcher S3: Bye Bye Henry

Ran

11 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Wait, there are Mario memes in the Witcher books? How did I miss them?

The books are basically a continuing stream of:

"Huzzah! We have arrived in the location where Ciri almost certainly is!"

Five minutes later:

"Bugger, Ciri is not here, but we did kill a lot of dudes! Away to the next place where Ciri almost certainly will be this time."

<Cut to Ciri being in a completely different location altogether doing random shit>

Just read something about this on Twitter today and wonder what peeps here think about it!

I mean someone was posting a link to Cavill’s message and woah I felt like it cannot be true! He’s the perfect Geralt! :(

Twrrible News for fans of Witcher but I suppose excellent for fans of Superman (?) saw his insta message with the Superman suit. Dude is such a nerd lol he seems super pleased and excited about reprising his role in the DC universe.

Fuck.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:22 AM, Jussi said:

Well, opinions vary. I do think Sapkowski's books are great literature. It looks like there is a difference in approach between the English speaking world and the continental Europe. Here in Finland the Witcher books have won twice the Tähtifantasia Award, witch is a prestigious literary award given to the best fantasy book published in Finnish. Our publisher advertises this is the back covers of the Witcher books: "The double Tähtifantasia winning series!"

Tähtifantasia is awarded by a jury and it has a somewhat elistist reputation. George R.R. Martin has never won in, and he has only one nomination (for A Storm of Swords).

Jussi thank you for the info! Lots of us in the English speaking world tend to be ignorant (not always by choice) of how literature is seen or appreciated in non-English speaking countries. It’s always good when you guys speak up so we can learn about it and enlarge our perceptions.

@WertheadI'm going to need a localization on "asda ownbrand". While I can guess that Asda is a supermarket chain and "ownbrand" is the British word for "the supermarkets own brand", I still don't know where Asda sits in the supermarket hierarchy. And when assessing the accuracy of a slam on a non-Chris Hemsworth that detail is actually important, Liam has a higher profile than Luke but I think I enjoy Luke as Stubbs in Westworld more than anything I've seen Liam in. 

So Luke would need to be the brand that has a poor ranking, but which is surprisingly better than you'd expect. Liam would be your most popular supermarket that's a bit shit.

Asda is owned by Walmart (I think that's right), and ranks about 6th out of 8 in the British supermarket heirarchy, counting from poshest at 1 and budget at 8 - though the bottom 2 are known for having genuinely good ownbrands.

Should also be noted that about half of our supermarkets have 2 ranges of ownbrand, sometimes the 2nd is crappier, sometimes it's posher. So Tesco's own, and Tesco's Value. Whilst Morrison's own, and Morrison's Best.

And now I feel guilty of mansplaining.

Edited by Which Tyler

So if the bottom two have surprisingly good own brands they sound like a good comparison to Luke, leaving Asda as correct for Liam. Robust analogy, well done Wert.

And it's not mansplaining when it was actually asked for WT :p

57 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And it's not mansplaining when it was actually asked for WT :p

My neice has made me paranoid.

I always thought "mansplaining" was a man explaining something to a woman when the woman knew more about the subject, or the assumption was that the woman wouldn't know because... woman.

Eve tells me that any time a man is explaining anything to any woman, then it's mansplaining - even when I'm explaining to someone how they hurt their back, and how this exercise and that treatment etc is going to help it - then if the patient is female, I'm mansplaining by definition.

And I'm not allowed to argue my point with her, because that would be mansplaining - so I'm going to take it out on you lot!

Yup.

She 18 and errr, enthusiastic about being right in things, a trait she definitely shares with my brother.

And my father.

And my mother.

And at least 2 of my grandparents.

It skipped me though, obviously :D

Edited by Which Tyler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe they should have called it Conjunction of the Spheres if they're revealing that in the trailer.

How many other stories (novels or games) have as a setting a world when people are refugees from other worlds?  The elves of Osten Ard for instance, and Kelewan from the Riftwar books.  Any others?

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Maybe they should have called it Conjunction of the Spheres if they're revealing that in the trailer.

How many other stories (novels or games) have as a setting a world when people are refugees from other worlds?  The elves of Osten Ard for instance, and Kelewan from the Riftwar books.  Any others?

Katherine Kerr's Deverry series comes to mind.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The Midkemia humans in Riftwar were also refugees from another world. Probably the same one the Tsurani came from, everyone fleeing to different worlds when the Valheru turned up. Dwarves and goblins also originated from that world, as did orcs (greater goblins) who were wiped out

On 12/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I wonder if they're going to be using the common theory that the world humans came from is a future Earth?

The Ogier in Wheel of Time are immigrants from another world or portal stone dimension. A lot of the races in Forgotten Realms (certainly humans, elves, orcs, saurials, dragonborn and djinn). The K'Chain Che'Malle in Malazan (possibly some of the other races as well).

The main thing this trailer made me think of is that the Vlad Taltos series would be fun, though perhaps necessarily animated (what with the average Dragaeran being like 7' tall), specifically because of the fact that humans are in fact from a contemporary or future Earth that they've long since forgotten about, as evidenced

Spoiler

by a revolutionary group inspired by having discovered copies of Marxist texts.