The Witcher S3: Bye Bye Henry

Ran

49 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Watched about 10 minutes and stopped. I hate how run of the mill the elves are. 

I appreciate that it’s just another human-like civilization rather than every other interpretation of other worldly elves that live in impossible beauty and are 900 years old.

Edited by Mexal

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I appreciate that it’s just another human-like civilization rather than every other interpretation of other worldly elves that live in impossible beauty and are 900 years old.

Well I guess we differ there. I like elven like creatures like the Aes Sidhi and such. I like it when their strengths and weaknesses are different from humans.

The portrayal of the elves is very much not the issue, for me. But... the writing is poor, both plot and script, some of the production is iffy, and the actors are doing what they can but it's very much not their best work and it shows.

I’m really not a fan of these elves, they are basically just people with stupid looking ears. Not sure what the point of calling them elves is with this depiction. 

Also, slightly put off by Irish elves who come from an Arabic style location.. none of that made a lot of sense.

Ive only watched the first episode and didn’t think it was terrible, but it’s clearly lower budget and almost everything about it is dumb and hasn’t had a great deal of work put into it. Feels like a rush job, an after thought 

It's okay-ish, though I've only seen one episode so far. The main Irish guy is charismatic and funny, and the big plot twist in Episode 1 was handled reasonably well.

I do like the idea of the elves presenting themselves as superior beings but when you see them in their golden age, they were just as crappy and self-defeating as humans. That's a pretty common fantasy trope (even in Tolkien) but entertaining.

14 hours ago, mormont said:

some of the production is iffy

Such as scenes with monoliths covered in LED sigils or whatever -- the whole business looking like a 1950's or 60's kids' tv show on Saturday morning, so clearly in the studio and lots of plywood.

What's fun though, is most of this Board's watchers have watched at least part of it so, like most of this Board's watchers have watched Glass Onion.  :thumbsup::):cheers:

Edited by Zorral

Finally finished watch Blood Origins.

There were three elements in it that were good: the songs/singing (do not know if the actor did her own singing, if so, she's got a whole other career; The dwarf woman Meldof and her war hammer -- the actress was clearly enjoying herself thoroughly without caring a bit about any of it but giving it her all, so she was a delight whenever she appeared; Michele Yeoh, who projected barely concealed laughter while keeping effortless dignity.  How did she do that?  :cheers:

Everything else was so bad as to have no words to say so.

I don't blame the actors.  I'm not even sure the writers can be blamed, provided as they were with something as senseless as this content is in the first place.

Those accents, those costumes, the generic sets. The time and geography -- one scene and suddenly Eilé and Fjalle are in love.  Nor do the names make any sense, particularly with the generic celtic accent.

So, we ask, why?  Why did they even bother?

52 minutes ago, Zorral said:

There were three elements in it that were good: the songs/singing (do not know if the actor did her own singing, if so, she's got a whole other career;

I did hear she works professionally as a singer.  Probably gave her the edge in casting.

Apparently Blood Origins straight up stole the work of an artist Shawn Coss, which can be seen in the scene where the two leads were walking into a town after their sea voyage, and there was art on a sign warning of the monsters that have been seen.  Coss is looking to talk to an IP lawyer and sue.

https://www.cbr.com/the-witcher-blood-origin-stolen-artwork/

It was a bit of a nothing show. Very flimsy and not very well-executed, despite a host of potentially interesting ideas. Lenny Henry playing a bad-but-not-entirely-evil wizard, but his character wasn't given enough time to develop, and some of the Dirty Dozen of Elves had very little development. Apparently there was supposed to be six episodes but they reduced it to four for "pacing reasons." I actually wonder if it was budget constraints, some of the CGI in this was shockingly bad. The first Witcher guy after his transformation was particularly ropey, and it looked like he was wearing some kind of fat suit that was supposed to be replaced with CG later on but...wasn't? It looked very pantomime.

• 3 months later...

"Everything changes..."

in Season 4, when they recast the main actor.

Regardless, I'm still looking forward to season 3. I could never get into the books, so I'm happy to let the show drag me along in whatever direction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...