Star Wars - Andor Spoilers (And Scot's Old Ass TV)

Relic

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

What is there to understand?

@Ranpretty much covered everything. I wasn't quite sure there was a time skip, so that threw me off on what was going on.

Pretty much, everything involved with the prison screw up, that led Andor and Andy Serkis, to discover that they were prisoners for life, confused me.

I think what makes the most sense is that the prisoner from level 4 who turned up on level 2 is the first one they've tried to do this with. We know the PORD was only recently passed, and that everyone already in there had their sentences doubled - so even the people close to release would have had a while before they'd see their release.

The big issue with rotating prisoners between levels and pretending they're being released is that the supposedly released prisoner will just tell the others about it. Given we have Cassian making the point that no one is listening to them in this same episode I really doubt that flaw is a writing oversight, they're just just contemptuous of the prisoners and too trusting in their tools of control.

So what we're seeing is the point where the carrot is being taken away and they try substitute it with more stick.

My take is that due to a bureaucratic mixup they sent someone who was meant to go to some other prison to a different level instead. And then they told. And then to cover it up they killed that whole floor. 

56 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

My take is that due to a bureaucratic mixup they sent someone who was meant to go to some other prison to a different level instead. And then they told. And then to cover it up they killed that whole floor. 

Hmm that could work yeah.

@Ranwhat exactly did they say about PORD in ep8? I can't remember if it was "sentences are doubled" or "remaining sentence is doubled" - if it's the latter then I agree, but if everyone in there had the entire sentence doubled then everyone will have at least another 6 months left on their sentence (as we know that was the sentence for the absolutely nothing charge that Cassian got hit with prior to the change).

Thought I should just check, the exact phrase was "they doubled everyone's number last month. PORD." so I'd say "remaining sentence" is more likely, but its ambiguous enough they could go the other way if they wanted to.

15 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But Obi-wan hid Leia under his coat… who would… ever… notice that.

Kinda like a man sized hole in a cell wall only covered over by a poster for 30 years, eh, Scot?

26 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It's just been very ambiguous how much time has actually passed, so I wasn't sure. Or if it wasn't ambiguous then I've missed it.

The previous episode flashed a, "30 shifts later" at one point, to show Andor settling in.  But this episode wasn't clear how much more time had passed.

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The previous episode flashed a, "30 shifts later" at one point, to show Andor settling in.  But this episode wasn't clear how much more time had passed.

Definitely missed that then, I've noticed missing a couple of similar things in other shows recently as well. Wonder if it's coming up at a spot that my attention is low, or if it's at the bottom if my cat was sitting in front at the time (which is a lot of the time lol).

My guess on how long it has been just from context clues would be somewhere between 3 and 6 months, and I'd expect at the lower end.

Personally I don't think it really matters how much time has passed. What we need to know is that 'some' time has passed since the heist and events have occurred in the meantime in reaction to it. Andor went off to go hide and enjoy his life in Space Florida but got caught up and sent to prison.. and hes been there some time. 

While all that has happened the Empire are slowly working out what was going on and are cracking down etc etc.

That is kind of all you need to know. 

18 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Definitely missed that then, I've noticed missing a couple of similar things in other shows recently as well. Wonder if it's coming up at a spot that my attention is low, or if it's at the bottom if my cat was sitting in front at the time (which is a lot of the time lol).

My guess on how long it has been just from context clues would be somewhere between 3 and 6 months, and I'd expect at the lower end.

There was a specific shot of the time remaining clock that ended a scene then skipped to it having 30 less and then a font said 30 days later in case people missed that very obvious time skip.

It's the subtle nature of the oppression. The frogs don't even know they're boiling alive. Thus Luthien trying to crank up the Imperial response to energize a rebellion.

Very Black Mirror-ish as it's a realistic path our future could take unchecked.

I do wish Mon Mothma's storyline would pick up the pace a bit. Though, who knows, maybe it will just explode and really move fast due to a small event like the daughter betraying her or something. But I am skeptical we'll get the Ghorman massacre in the final arc of the season, and I was hoping this show would explore Mon Mothma more post her open defection of the Empire, which at best we'll get in season 2.

28 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I do wish Mon Mothma's storyline would pick up the pace a bit. Though, who knows, maybe it will just explode and really move fast due to a small event like the daughter betraying her or something. But I am skeptical we'll get the Ghorman massacre in the final arc of the season, and I was hoping this show would explore Mon Mothma more post her open defection of the Empire, which at best we'll get in season 2.

I figure Mon Mothma's daughter will have some sort of Sansa Stark moment where she betrays her mother because she is afraid to lose her nice stuff only to realize she really, really messed up. 

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

I don’t think it can be too long just because of how the ISB investigation is progressing - it seems that it has kept moving forward at a reasonable pace rather than stalling anywhere.

Another clue that of the passage of time is that Dedra has been traveling between Ferrix and Coruscant. This is not a show where characters just teleport. When she receives the news about the capture of a rebel pilot she says she doesn't have the time to travel to the respective location so she'll interogate remotely.

Archived