Star Wars - Andor Spoilers (And Scot's Old Ass TV)

Relic

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

but then there's no onscreen evidence that an artificial gravity generator exists in the SW universe, but blatantly clearly it does.

Didn't Rebels have reintroduce the Interdictor class ships? The ones that project gravity wells?

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Didn't Rebels have reintroduce the Interdictor class ships? The ones that project gravity wells?

They contradicted themselves there because in the new canon, gravity wells clearly no longer have any impact on the ability to enter or exist hyperspace (ships now jumping to hyperspace and out of hyperspace inside planetary atmospheres, almost right off the ground etc). So a gravity-well projector should have zero impact on a ship's ability to enter hyperspace.

I've seen fanwanking that the Rebels version of Interdictors work in a different way and disrupt ships from entering hyperspace through the power of unobtanium or something.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They contradicted themselves there because in the new canon, gravity wells clearly no longer have any impact on the ability to enter or exist hyperspace (ships now jumping to hyperspace and out of hyperspace inside planetary atmospheres, almost right off the ground etc).

Ugh. Right. I erased all that nonsense from my memory.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The backup hyperdrive I think is locked into the canon. It has no onscreen evidence, but then there's no onscreen evidence that an artificial gravity generator exists in the SW universe, but blatantly clearly it does.

EU canon (old and new), sure, that's not in dispute. Artificial gravity might not be mentioned, but it is certainly demonstrated, most notably with the Falcon's guns having gravity at right angles to the rest of the ship. While there's evidence against backup hyperdrives - if the Falcon has a working backup, why doesn't it kick in when the main hyperdrive fails? Why bother chasing through asteroids and hiding on the back of a Star Destroyer?

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They point out it'd be ludicrous to have a single point of failure on spacecraft that would result in the ship and crew loss

It's only ludicrous if there's a viable alternative. Cars don't have backup engines no matter how convenient it would be if something went wrong with the primary engine. And hyperdrives have been around for thousands of years; I'd expect them to be extremely reliable, if you have an ordinary ship instead of something customised and overclocked like the Falcon.

7 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I just assume that really smart droids are incredible difficult to build without access to very limited resources unless you are a kid with force powers.

The inconsistency with the droids I meant was more the moral aspect of droid ownership. If they're sentient beings, then this mass slavery is really quite an issue. If it's just some of them then there still really should be issues with the heroes of the story never considering that they should grant sentient droids their freedom. If they're just exceptional algorithms mimicking sentience then it feels like the depiction of them is misleading to the audience, yet this is the only option that pairs remotely with one of the movies treating a droid wanting freedom to be a gag (Solo for this one).

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that those space-whales in rebels can somehow jump to hyperspace. 

Surely not the worst thing in Star Wars to be "somehow"ed.

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The inconsistency with the droids I meant was more the moral aspect of droid ownership. If they're sentient beings, then this mass slavery is really quite an issue. If it's just some of them then there still really should be issues with the heroes of the story never considering that they should grant sentient droids their freedom. If they're just exceptional algorithms mimicking sentience then it feels like the depiction of them is misleading to the audience, yet this is the only option that pairs remotely with one of the movies treating a droid wanting freedom to be a gag (Solo for this one).

Surely not the worst thing in Star Wars to be "somehow"ed.

If droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there? ;)

Look, it's a fact that the Star Wars setting just doesn't make sense if you really think about any of it. Whether droids are sentient or not, for example, it makes no sense that you can have that level of AI in a droid but still need humans to fly spaceships of any size. Even the factory in Andor is dubious - is human labour really so much cheaper than an automated factory would be, after factoring in the security etc.?

You just have to suspend your disbelief. At some point, you need to do that in literally any genre fiction.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Look, it's a fact that the Star Wars setting just doesn't make sense if you really think about any of it. Whether droids are sentient or not, for example, it makes no sense that you can have that level of AI in a droid but still need humans to fly spaceships of any size. Even the factory in Andor is dubious - is human labour really so much cheaper than an automated factory would be, after factoring in the security etc.?

You just have to suspend your disbelief. At some point, you need to do that in literally any genre fiction.

I mean at the end of the day, the entire Star Wars franchise, was just George Lucas remaking/ripping off Kurosawa films and simply setting them in space. So it makes as much sense as that premise can allow, lol

30 minutes ago, sifth said:

George Lucas remaking/ripping off Kurosawa films and simply setting them in space.

This is reductive. He had many other influences, like the sci-fi serials of his youth, pulp science fiction, WWII films like The Dam Busters, and more, . What exactly is so Kurosawa about The Empire Strikes Back or The Return of the Jedi or the prequels? Yes, A New Hope owes a lot to The Hidden Fortress, but Kurosawa-inspired imagery and characters is limited in TESB and almost non-existent in RotJ.

I always find it strange when people spend so much time trying to create internal consistency for universes what were never created with a great deal of internal consistency 

Lucas is always going to claim SW is all planned out in his head, but so much of what we think of the universe is retroactively fixed or added later. 

Just stop trying to think so hard about a place that doesn’t actually exist. It feels like the most fruitless endeavour ever.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

This is reductive. He had many other influences, like the sci-fi serials of his youth, pulp science fiction, WWII films like The Dam Busters, and more, . What exactly is so Kurosawa about The Empire Strikes Back or The Return of the Jedi or the prequels? Yes, A New Hope owes a lot to The Hidden Fortress, but Kurosawa-inspired imagery and characters is limited in TESB and almost non-existent in RotJ.

I know, I know, Flash Gordon was an influence as well. I heard somewhere that he only created Star Wars because Hollywood wouldn’t let him make a Flash Gordon film. I just can’t watch the first film, without seeing The Hidden Fortress these days. Also one episode of both Mando and the Clone Wars, is clearly a reimagined sci-fi version of The Seven Samurai; though to be fair I think Fire Fly made one as well. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I always find it strange when people spend so much time trying to create internal consistency for universes what were never created with a great deal of internal consistency 

Lucas is always going to claim SW is all planned out in his head, but so much of what we think of the universe is retroactively fixed or added later. 

Just stop trying to think so hard about a place that doesn’t actually exist. It feels like the most fruitless endeavour ever.

Booooring!

So I believe we all know how humans ended up as a technologically advanced species long long ago in a galaxy far far away?

Obviously an unstable wormhole used to connect the Star Wars Galaxy with the Milky Way for a brief period of time. 

Using this wormhole, the Infinite Empire abducted primitive humans from Earth to use as slave labor, but then the wormhole collapsed, separating the two galaxies forever.

The rest as they say, is history. 

Archived