Star Wars - Andor Spoilers (And Scot's Old Ass TV)

Relic

If there is still one thing that I'd nitpick about this particular corner of SW, it's that the Empire only lasts 19 years.  The sheer scope of shifting from the Republic to the Empire should have been a vastly more monumental task. Yes I know Sidious was working in the shadows for who knows how long. Yes I know Sidious, as Palpatine, had about ten years as Chancellor to move things in a particular direction. Yes I know the Senate was generally rather corrupt and willing to let the authoritarianism in. 

But nineteen years...the transition from the clones to an essentially all human military in such a short time...Yes, Bad Batch is addressing some of this.  Yes Andor is addressing some of the other weight of what the Empire is trying to do...I still sometimes get stuck on the nineteen years though...

All because Lucas essentially had to make Luke Darth Vader's kid...

I became impatient and instead of waiting for this season to be completed, I've been watching the show over the last week.

Really excellent, shockingly so. I know a lot of people resent what Disney has done to Star Wars, but as someone not particularly committed to the franchise I feel like this show alone validates Disney taking over this property.

The only other Disney Star Wars shows I've watched is Obi-Wan and the first two movies of the sequel trilogy, and sure, they were hilariously awful. But so was the prequel trilogy under George Lucas. The original trilogy is pretty fun, but it's not exactly high art either. And I cannot see Lucas as someone capable of producing anything remotely interesting anymore.

This show is exemplary, to the point that it is truly out of place as part of the Star Wars franchise.

But if more of these kind of shows eek out once every blue moon, then I welcome any amount of dreck that might accompany it. People are welcome to enjoy the Obi-Wan Kenobi shows of Star Wars as long as I can enjoy shows like Andor.

This show is probably the most pleasantly unexpected surprise of the year. Fantastic stuff.

I avoided this thread, as I have the past few weeks when I couldn't catch up for a few days. Seeing three pages about this episode, then finally watching it - and holy cow 11/10 - I absolutely knew it would be discussions about the silly sea prison/hexagon-block'a'makin' joint. 

I thought it was perfect that they added some nice Star Wars absurdity to the show. I only wish they'd have just had Skarsgard speak directly to the camera for that soliloquy. I don't consider the mustachio'd mannequin an audience.

7 hours ago, IFR said:

I became impatient and instead of waiting for this season to be completed, I've been watching the show over the last week.

Really excellent, shockingly so. I know a lot of people resent what Disney has done to Star Wars, but as someone not particularly committed to the franchise I feel like this show alone validates Disney taking over this property.

The only other Disney Star Wars shows I've watched is Obi-Wan and the first two movies of the sequel trilogy, and sure, they were hilariously awful. But so was the prequel trilogy under George Lucas. The original trilogy is pretty fun, but it's not exactly high art either. And I cannot see Lucas as someone capable of producing anything remotely interesting anymore.

This show is exemplary, to the point that it is truly out of place as part of the Star Wars franchise.

But if more of these kind of shows eek out once every blue moon, then I welcome any amount of dreck that might accompany it. People are welcome to enjoy the Obi-Wan Kenobi shows of Star Wars as long as I can enjoy shows like Andor.

This show is probably the most pleasantly unexpected surprise of the year. Fantastic stuff.

You should watch Rogue One

Have avoided the thread whilst I've been catching up

Finished 9 episodes and some thoughts

1. Nice to see some of the characters in the first few episodes back - I thought we might not be going to back to the OG planet again but it's cool to see those characters return & that's a good move

2. More Cinta, less Vel.

3. Overall the show is still quite good - I was meh about the prison storyline at the start but they've got me interested

4. Mon Mothma & co remain the weakest part of the show - I might lose my mind if there's another party and Mon Mothma is trying to get funds by doing x,y or z. It just isn't interesting and her husband is even less interesting. Obviously things will come to a head in this story line but I honestly am not invested in these characters. The husband, the daughter or Mon Mothma, they've all been fairly one note and the writing is weak ( To be clear, I think the actress playing  Mon is good, I just don't think the plot line is a good one, and neither is the writing for this part of the show)

I don't mind at all the grandiloquence of how Luthen talks to Lonni. I presume it's in keeping with the language he used to recruit him, that he needed the ego-boost of seeing himself as an epic hero in a titanic struggle between good and evil to commit himself to the cause. Then over a year reality began to sink in, he had a daughter, and he started to rethink things.

I am just a wee bit miffed that Lonni being a double agent was revealed in unprotected spoilers in this thread, btw. If there are spoilers floating around for the final episodes, please make sure to put them in spoiler protection!

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I am just a wee bit miffed that Lonni being a double agent was revealed in unprotected spoilers in this thread, btw. If there are spoilers floating around for the final episodes, please make sure to put them in spoiler protection!

To be clear, when I mentioned that, (mea culpa) it wasn't because of a leak. The shot of him from this episode when he got on the elevator was in one of the official trailers. So one of the Star Wars youtubers I watch simply put 2 & 2 together. It was speculation, a theory, no more.

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If there is still one thing that I'd nitpick about this particular corner of SW, it's that the Empire only lasts 19 years.  The sheer scope of shifting from the Republic to the Empire should have been a vastly more monumental task. Yes I know Sidious was working in the shadows for who knows how long. Yes I know Sidious, as Palpatine, had about ten years as Chancellor to move things in a particular direction. Yes I know the Senate was generally rather corrupt and willing to let the authoritarianism in. 

But nineteen years...the transition from the clones to an essentially all human military in such a short time...Yes, Bad Batch is addressing some of this.  Yes Andor is addressing some of the other weight of what the Empire is trying to do...I still sometimes get stuck on the nineteen years though...

All because Lucas essentially had to make Luke Darth Vader's kid...

23 years. It's 19 years between Sith and Hope, and then 4 years from Hope to Jedi. But yeah, not long.

Something they're trying to do is show how the Empire co-opted the Republic, so the last few weeks of the Republic and the first few months of the Empire are effectively indistinguishable. You see how their capital ships move to the Impstar class in stages through the Clone Wars, the Republic fighters basically morphing into the TIE series etc. So they try to show the Republic was becoming the Empire for at least 3 years before Palpatine formally took over anyway (although I always thought 3 years was far too short a period for the Clone Wars, it should have been 5-10), and maybe a bit earlier than that during his time as Chancellor.

I do agree that 19 years is far too short for everything else though, particularly the Empire ditching the entire Republic line of capital ships and fighters to create their own bespoke fleet from scratch, which seems ludicrously wasteful and very unconvincing (only 3 of the current 11 US front-lines carriers are less than 23 years old), not to mention the problems of the Death Star I taking 19 years to build and the DS2 taking 3 years to build despite being larger and more powerful.

5 hours ago, Relic said:

You should watch Rogue One

Oh I will. In fact I'm going to have a Gilroy movie marathon of madness, and watch the first 3 Borne movies, Michael Clayton, Nightcrawler, and then top it off with Rogue One. 

56 minutes ago, Werthead said:

not to mention the problems of the Death Star I taking 19 years to build and the DS2 taking 3 years to build despite being larger and more powerful.

I guess I always assumed the second Death Star was under construction essentially simultaneous to the first. 

51 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I guess I always assumed the second Death Star was under construction essentially simultaneous to the first. 

Under the old EU that was the assumption, and the idea that the Empire wanted several Death Stars bowling around at once. However, I think the new canon knocked that idea on the head and said that DS2 was built after DS1's destruction. 

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Under the old EU that was the assumption, and the idea that the Empire wanted several Death Stars bowling around at once. However, I think the new canon knocked that idea on the head and said that DS2 was built after DS1's destruction. 

That makes no damn sense.

Just now, Darryk said:

Tales From the Jedi was excellent. I want Dave Filoni given complete control of the Star Wars universe, but Disney just don't seem smart enough to do that.

I think he does somewhat. He's the Executive Creative Director at LucasFilm.

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

Interesting interview. TBH, I forgot he even played Snoke until I read it. :)

People are so consumed with what they’re building, but does it even matter, ultimately?

It actually does matter what they’re building because it’s significant. For those who are really watching closely, the parts are quite significant. If you really examine those bits that are being formed and created by all of the men on the floors, you’ll discover that they hold huge import. 

So they were making parts for something recognizable. Time to scour the Death Star or other imperial vehicle cross-sections. 

41 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Interesting interview. TBH, I forgot he even played Snoke until I read it. :)

So they were making parts for something recognizable. Time to scour the Death Star or other imperial vehicle cross-sections. 

I'm thinking that he may be trolling. Now nerds will be pouring over this endlessly.

(rushes to re-watch all the scenes and start looking for schematics :leaving:)

Archived