Ashara Dayne

Fun Guy from Yuggoth

I just picked up a Hebrew dictionary and it pretty much confirms the theory that Ned was keeping Ashara at the Wolf's Den during Robert's Rebellion.

aseerah / asar / asir means "prisoner, inmate, captive" and "arrested" (in Arabic as well as Hebrew)

dan / deen  means "sentenced, condemned" and "judgement, law"

seerah  means "fishing boat"  [Also in Gaelic iaschaire means "fisherman" and gean means "daughter"] Ashara is the Fisherman's Daughter

hash'arah  means "leaving behind, abandonment"--and Ned left her at the Wolf's Den, then had to abandon her after he married Catelyn.  (in Welsh ysgar [sounds like "Ashar"] means "to divorce" and esgar means "to divorce") and in Old English ascheadan means "to separate" and aesc means "ship"

And asarah means "ten" in Hebrew and Ashara was a 10/10.

And asar means "pretended, made oneself" --and Ashara took an another identity after she faked her death, just like Davos after he stayed at the Wolf's Den.  (The parallel between Ashara and Davos is because in Gaelic uinnsean means "ash tree" and uinnean means "onion" and Davos is the Onion Knight.

-------

Also recently found that

in Welsh ysgwr [sounds like "Ashar"] means "to dawn" [and is on the same page as yswilio which means "shy" and Ned is shy, Ashara is the the Shy Maid, and Ned says Jon's mom is Wylla.]

in Welsh dwyn [sounds like "Dayne"] means "to bear, to bring" and dwyn achau  means "to trace a pedigree" and on another page ach ac edryd means "parentage" [arth means "bear" so Arthur Dayne = bear bear and the Old Bear is Jon's surrogate father at the Wall, and bequeaths Jon his ancestral family sword]

The child of Ashara Dawn is Lightbringer

in Welsh duniad means "to unite" and dyn means "man"  --Aragorn was a version of King Arthur who united the people, and duniad dyn means "a man who unites the people" and Ned Dayne --> dun niad. 

And if you compare a map of Westeros to the UK, White Harbor is Dunedin.  And Jon was born at White Harbor at the Wolf's Den, and he is a Dunedin ranger.

19 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

I just picked up a Hebrew dictionary and it pretty much confirms the theory that Ned was keeping Ashara at the Wolf's Den during Robert's Rebellion.

What theory is that? 

28 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

What theory is that? 

Godric Borrell's theory that Jon Snow was born in the Bite, around the Three Sisters or White Harbor. 

just looked up words that sound like "godric borrell" in the Welsh dictionary

godricawr is synonymous with Oedwr and means "sojourning" and godrig means "dwelling, abode, staying, tarrying, delay"

boreol / boreoul means "dawning" and borleuan means "morning star"

And Eddard sojorned through the Three Sisters with a Dayne.  And she stayed / tarried /dwelled at the Wolf's Den.

gion means "bite" in Gaelic and iaschaire means "fisherman" and gean means "daughter"

and in Celtic myth, Neid had two wives, Cath and Nemain, who were two of the three sisters that made up the Morrigan, the third sister was Macha.  Ned gets shipwrecked at the Three Sisters islands.  (suir means "sister" and siuirin means "little sister, sweetheart" and nad means "little sister")  Eascair  means “storm, blustering wind” and Earchaire means “storm, hurricane” and Ned and the Fisherman’s daughter encountered a bad storm.  aescere means "boat"

Ranger Snow was the name of a ship from Lovecraft's the Shadow over Innsmouth, and it was a ship that belonged to Gilman-->gill man-->man with gills-->fish man.  And that story is all about humans interbreeding with fish people.  The narrator visits Innsmouth and discovers that he is part mermaid. 

suire  ('shara) means "mermaid, siren, sea-nymph" and suirghe means "courtship, wooing, lover, sweetheart" and suir means "river"

Naiad  (~Ned) means "water nymph"

Nixe means "mermaid" in German and in Latin Nix  means "snow" / "white" and the Nixi  were guardian deities of women giving birth

Wylla at White Harbor is a mermaid.

There are mermaid / Innsmouth references all around the Three Sisters island chain and at White Harbor.  In gaelic innse / innsean means "island" [and uinnsean means "Ash Tree" and uinnean means "onion" and sean = John]  and innis-mhuir means "archipelago"

ion-mhutha means "alterable" and the Innsmouth people turn into squishers as they get older.  Godric Borrell is part squisher.  

Davos and Ashara are both altered after passing through the Three Sisters, they die and get new identities.

and dagan means "dawn" in Old Norse, and Dagon is the fish god from Lovecraft's Dagon and Shadow over Innsmouth.

-----

I found several Welsh words that apply to Ashara:

ucher means "evening, gloomy"

ucherwyl means "vigil, vesper" --that is, night watch--and Jon's mother is "wylla" (and several words beginning with gwyll mean "ghost" and "night watch" and "shy")

Gweno means "evening star" and is also spelled Gain.

So recall that Arth means "bear" in Welsh and Aragorn is King Arthur, and he marries Arwen, and in Welsh arwain means "to bear, to carry" and gweno means the "evenstar"--Arwen bears the evenstar.

and dwyn means "to bear".

Just randomly throwing this out here to see if anything sticks:

Asherah is a Semitic mother goddess.  Her son was Yam, god of the sea.  Her son’s nemesis was Ba’al.  Her name has been translated in numerous ways to reference her being of the sea or she who treads on a sea dragon or she who treads on Tyre.

Along with various other cults such as those to Ba’al Hammon, and Moloch,  she was seen as a threat to the Jewish monotheistic religion.  (However, unlike Ba’al Hammon and Moloch there was no accusation that her cult engaged in child sacrifice).  However, her cult was often linked to Ba’al Hammon’s cult who was accused of child sacrifice.

One of her symbols was a sacred tree called the Asherah Pole.  these were often cut down by the Hebrews since they were considered a pagan symbol.

One of the reasons that her cult was considered a threat is that some Israelites started worshipping her and even portrayed her as the consort to Yahweh.

ETA:

Rhaegar was thought to be Baelor the Blessed his story is often paralleled to that of Bael the Bard.  And Bael could be a reference to Ba’al.

Aemon might be a reference to Ammon.  Ammon was a neighboring nation of Israel.  They were accused of child sacrifice as part of their worship of Pagan gods such as Ba’al, Moloch etc.

41 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I like these posts, though I doubt Mr. Martin has given this much thought into so many of the names, especially with similar words from so many different languages.

It is actually pretty easy, I have a whole stack of translation dictionaries now, and it is a simple task to flip through them and find similar sounding words and build a whole plot around them.

Authors have been doing this for years, I just read 20,000 Leagues under the Sea for the first time, and then figured out that much of the plot was built around words that sound like "nemo" in various languages. 

In Latin nemo means "no one" and nemesis is the goddess of justice and naumacha means "sea combat" and nama means "liquid"

In greek nemo means to "distribute, share" and noeema means "intelligent" and nomeesma means "coin, money" and neeymos means "bite, prick" and nomas means "nomad" and nomos means "law"

And the plot is about a genius who calls himself "Nemo" and lives by his own law under the sea in his submarine and attacks military vessels to get justice for his murdered family, and roves all over the world collecting sunken treasure to redistribute it to the poor.  He sinks boats by ramming them with the prow of his submarine.

A lot of vampire imagery around the Sisters.  In Bram Stoker’s novel, Dracula lived with three female vampires known only as the three Sisters.  These Islands lie within a bay called the Bite.  The landmass, that the Bite is alongside is the Neck.  As in, “I want to bite your neck”.  

And of course we have the story of the denizens of the Sisters making blood sacrifices to the Weirwoods.

I haven't read Harry Potter but I have seen the movies once or twice and I keep finding Harry Potter character names.

in Welsh Hog means "a little lad" and several words that begin with gwyrt- mean "miraculous" and gwrt- means "to improve" and Hogwarts is a school where young children become wizards.

I just found in the Oxford English Dictionary that one of the usages of Harry is "a young Englishman of low-class" and Potter means "to be ineffectual" and "to interfere, meddle, poke, or pry" and Harry was a low-class English boy, who wasn't a very good wizard, and accidentally ruined the plans of the dark lord.

Also in gaelic, tom  means "riddle" and marv- means "death"

2 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

aseerah / asar / asir means "prisoner, inmate, captive" and "arrested" (in Arabic as well as Hebrew)

seerah  means "fishing boat"  [Also in Gaelic iaschaire means "fisherman" and gean means "daughter"] Ashara is the Fisherman's Daughter

hash'arah  means "leaving behind, abandonment"--and Ned left her at the Wolf's Den, then had to abandon her after he married Catelyn.  (in Welsh ysgar [sounds like "Ashar"] means "to divorce" and esgar means "to divorce") and in Old English ascheadan means "to separate" and aesc means "ship"

And asar means "pretended, made oneself" --and Ashara took an another identity after she faked her death, just like Davos after he stayed at the Wolf's Den.  (The parallel between Ashara and Davos is because in Gaelic uinnsean means "ash tree" and uinnean means "onion" and Davos is the Onion Knight.

-------

Also recently found that

in Welsh ysgwr [sounds like "Ashar"] means "to dawn" [and is on the same page as yswilio which means "shy" and Ned is shy, Ashara is the the Shy Maid, and Ned says Jon's mom is Wylla.]

in Welsh dwyn [sounds like "Dayne"] means "to bear, to bring" and dwyn achau  means "to trace a pedigree" and on another page ach ac edryd means "parentage" [arth means "bear" so Arthur Dayne = bear bear and the Old Bear is Jon's surrogate father at the Wall, and bequeaths Jon his ancestral family sword]

in Welsh duniad means "to unite" and dyn means "man"  --Aragorn was a version of King Arthur who united the people, and duniad dyn means "a man who unites the people" and Ned Dayne --> dun niad. 

And if you compare a map of Westeros to the UK, White Harbor is Dunedin.  And Jon was born at White Harbor at the Wolf's Den, and he is a Dunedin ranger.

Somebody from that family will inherit the sword; however, an Arthur + Lyanna pair is also possible. 

52 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Just randomly throwing this out here to see if anything sticks:

Asherah is a Semitic mother goddess.  Her son was Yam, god of the sea.  Her son’s nemesis was Ba’al.  Her name has been translated in numerous ways to reference her being of the sea or she who treads on a sea dragon or she who treads on Tyre.

Along with various other cults such as those to Ba’al Hammon, and Moloch,  she was seen as a threat to the Jewish monotheistic religion.  (However, unlike Ba’al Hammon and Moloch there was no accusation that her cult engaged in child sacrifice).  However, her cult was often linked to Ba’al Hammon’s cult who was accused of child sacrifice.

One of her symbols was a sacred tree called the Asherah Pole.  these were often cut down by the Hebrews since they were considered a pagan symbol.

One of the reasons that her cult was considered a threat is that some Israelites started worshipping her and even portrayed her as the consort to Yahweh.

ETA:

Rhaegar was thought to be Baelor the Blessed his story is often paralleled to that of Bael the Bard.  And Bael could be a reference to Ba’al.

Aemon might be a reference to Ammon.  Ammon was a neighboring nation of Israel.  They were accused of child sacrifice as part of their worship of Pagan gods such as Ba’al, Moloch etc.

bala  means "wolf's cub" in Welsh, and it also means "outflow, discharge" and the Wolf's Den is on the White Knife where it discharges into the Bite.  [Arthur's sword is a white knife, of sorts.]   

Also in Welsh achub (a cub, achu) means "to save, to deliver, to protect" and Ashara was protected at the Wolf's Den when she delivered her baby.  And on the same page as a bunch of other Asha words: 

achwr means "to trace a pedigree" [gene- means to trace a pedigree in greek]

achwre means "to shelter"

achrwys- means "to be fruitful"

---

Daingean means "stronghold, marriage, vow" in Gaelic

and dyngja  means "dungeon, a lady's bower" in Norse--Davos notes that the Wolf's Den dungeon was once a lordling's chamber.

Gainntire (Jon + tire ["wolf"]) means "dungeon" in Gaelic and doinsiun [Dayne son] means "dungeon" and the Wolf's Den was built by Jon Stark.

yoneea is on the same page as dangono [Dayne Jon] which means "bite" in Greek and on the facing page deno [Dayne] means "tie, bind" and is right under dendron "tree"

gion / gean means "bite, mouth, sword, will" in Gaelic--and Wolf's Den is a Dungeon at the Mouth of the White Knife in the Bite

and Ned and Ashara Dayne got married by Wymon Manderly at the weirwood tree at the Wolf's Den.  uaim means "to join" in Gaelic.

(and beal means "mouth" in Gaelic and Jon is associated with Bael)

sloch / sluic [Sloe] means "den, dungeon" in Gaelic

2 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Alright, I'm sold. How about Allyria Dayne? For years I have assumed her to be Ashara's daughter with Ned(or perhaps Brandon) I'd like to know if there are any supporting or opposing clues in her name if it wouldn't be too much of a trouble for you.

All I have for that is that aileron means "wing" / "eagle" in French [and valeria means "eagle" in Latin] and adein / adain means "wing" in Welsh.  I think it is a clue to the Daynes having dragon-riding genetics, being descendants of the Great Empire of the Dawn.

draigean means "sloe, blackthorn" in Gaelic and Ashara is the Sloe-Eyed Maid.

Has everyone here read Atlas Shrugged ?  I was just looking up Jon-related words in Pughe's Welsh Dictionary and found that gan and gallt are right next to each other. 

gan means "to bring forth, to birth"

gallt means "energy, power"

galltofydd means "mechanic" and in that story John Galt in an engineer at a automotive plant and he invents a machine that produces infinite energy.  John Galt is the personification of creative energy.

gallt also means "cliff, steep slope" and John Galt has a secret hideaway called Galt's Gulch in the mountains, and gwalch- means "falcon, hero" and "soaring aloft" and "towering"

So then I went looking for words that match Dagny Taggart (found these in Dinneen's Gaelic Dictionary)

deag / deig means "excellent, good, virtuous"

deag-aigne means "good will, esteem"

deag-aigeanta means "right-minded"

tagairt means "debate, tell, argue" in Gaelic

tagairtha means "witty, clever"

deagailt [deag + gailt] means "divorce, separate" in Gaelic, and Dagny and John Galt are separated for the majority of the novel.

----

ETA, I just realized John Galt is a version of Nikola Tesla, and his machine is a reverse tesla coil.

5 hours ago, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

Honestly if Ashara isn’t with Howland I hope she and Ned were actually having an affair. I love Cat but that being that young I hope he got to have some choice in a lover. I know it ended tragically but still.

Check this out, Bran says Ned had been sending letters to Greywater over the years:

"He was curious about these mudmen. He could not recall ever seeing one before. His father had sent letters to the Lord of Greywater over the years, but none of the crannogmen had ever called at Winterfell."

In Welsh:

lleian means "dark, gloomy hue" and "grey one, a nun" and there are several words that begin with lleian- that relate to nuns. 

lleinw means "to fill, replenish, become full, to flow"  [Grey + flowing = greywater]

llenor / llenwr means "a literary man, clergyman"

lleion means "mud, raven grey, gloom" [Lenore + Raven = Poe]

llenu means "to veil, to envelop"

llen-llian means "sheet, sheet-cloth"

The name Lyanna is associated with mud, dark, gloomy, grey, water, envelopes and letters, veils, and ravens.  And Howland married someone name Jyanna.

Another Poe reference, the whole Robert/Lya/Cersei plot comes directly from Edgar Allen Poe's story Ligeia (Lya), where the protagonist's first wife who has dark hair dies and he remarries a blonde and he hates her and wishes for his first wife to return so much it drives him crazy, and briefly Ligeia comes back from the dead.

More evidence that Davos traveling through the Three Sisters and White Harbor and being imprisoned at the Wolf's Den is actually telling us about Ashara having done so:

in Gaelic mutaire [sounds like "mother"] means "smuggler" and "concealed or hidden deeds"

and right below it mutan means "fingerless glove" and "stump of a finger"

And that is where the idea of Davos having missing fingers came from.

[Also very notably Davos is associated with "smuggling" and "mother" because he smuggled a pregnant Melisandre, and also he twice smuggled a king's bastard, Edric Storm and Mel and Stannis' shadow baby] 

And right below mutan is muth which means "to change" and "to kill" 

which is where Innsmouth comes from

ion-mhutha means "alterable" and the Innsmouth people turn into squishers as they get older.  [Godric Borrell is part squisher.] 

Davos and Ashara are both altered after passing through the Three Sisters, they die and get new identities.

And recall that in Gaelic innse / innsean means "island" [and uinnsean means "Ash Tree" and uinnean means "onion" and sean = John]  and innis-mhuir means "archipelago"

Davos is known for smuggling onions and fish.  iaschaire means "fish" and uinnsean means "ash"

Also there is some wordplay on Innsmouth, gion means "mouth" and "bite" and "sword" and all these events take place in the Bite.  And the Wolf's Den is on the mouth of a river called the White Knife.

Just looking for more "smuggle" words:

cuil-mhutaire means "smuggler" and is right above cuil-sheomar "bed chamber" and the Wolf's Den is a lordling's bed chamber where a smuggler gets imprisoned.

and cuil means "nook, corner, angle" and "secure, private place"   and cuilean means "whelp, puppy, cub" and cuille means "black cloth"

In the Collins Contemporary Greek Dictionary yoneea / goneea [Jon] means "angle, corner" and "nook, den" and "cornerstone"

iaschaire means "fisher, angler"   ["to angle" means "to fish"]

uille [~"Wylla"] means "angle, corner, nook" in Gaelic

uishe [~"Asha"] means "corner, angle, temple, gills of a fish" in Gaelic

llymu [~"Lemore"] means "angular" in Welsh

And lastly, in Welsh

Nwyddu rhedig / rhednwydd / Eiddo rhedeg means "smuggling goods" [Ned was a smuggler]

cuinne means "a litter; an angle, corner, nook" and cuan means "harbour" and cuin / coin  means "wolf" in Gaelic

On 10/31/2022 at 1:04 PM, By Odin's Beard said:

-------

Also recently found that

I love how detailed you've gone into etymology, but...given the number of human languages and the various forms of all of our words.....and how far you've stretched on a few things like "they SOUND like".....plus the fact that several things are directly contradicted in the books....yeah.  probably not.  A brief bit of etymology research indicates that, if that's even why GRRM chose her name, she could be representing anything from the daughter of god to a water goddess, to the name of the sacred cow in the precursor to Hindu religion to...a multitude of other things.  Really....it's kind of just a pretty, common name, and it was applied to all sorts of figures throughout history.

On 10/31/2022 at 4:36 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Alright, I'm sold. How about Allyria Dayne? For years I have assumed her to be Ashara's daughter with Ned(or perhaps Brandon) I'd like to know if there are any supporting or opposing clues in her name if it wouldn't be too much of a trouble for you.

This can't be a coincidence, in Greek yala means "milk" and yalooho means "nurse, suckle" and yalareea is right between two "milk" words, "milkman" and "milky way"

Wylla --> yala  --> y-ala --> milk, nurse

There is definitely something wrong with lactation in Daynes. 

In Gaelic eadradh means "milking" and "adultery, lust"

and leum [as in Lemore] mean "milk" and "leap" [and neid means "to leap"]

and asach means "milk"

15 minutes ago, Ring3r said:

I love how detailed you've gone into etymology, but...given the number of human languages and the various forms of all of our words.....and how far you've stretched on a few things like "they SOUND like".....plus the fact that several things are directly contradicted in the books....yeah.  probably not.  A brief bit of etymology research indicates that, if that's even why GRRM chose her name, she could be representing anything from the daughter of god to a water goddess, to the name of the sacred cow in the precursor to Hindu religion to...a multitude of other things.  Really....it's kind of just a pretty, common name, and it was applied to all sorts of figures throughout history.

George 100% gets his names from translation dictionaries, many authors do.  Tolkien, Lovecraft, H.G Wells, Jules Verne, Tad Williams, J.K. Rowling, they all did it. 

Pughe's Welsh, Dinneen's Gaelic, Dwelly's Gaelic, Clark's Anglo Saxon, Oxford Hindi, Collins Contemporary Greek, Harper's Latin, and Cleasby and Vigfusson's Old Norse, that covers the majority.  Less than 10 dictionaries that you can just flip through.  With only 3 of those you can decode almost all of Lovecraft's names.

I was looking up "night" words in Pughe's Welsh today and found out where Tolkien came up with the names Minas Tirith and Osgiliath.

min nos means "edge of night" or "twilight" and

tiriaeth means "territory" --Territory on the Edge of Night, because it is right next to Mordor.

nos gwyliadwriaeth  means "night's watch"  --because Osgiliath is the first line of defense against Mordor.

And that is probably where George got the idea of the Night's Watch being the first line of defense against the Others.

Archived