Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

55 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Maybe.  I don’t see how the “pay for blue check” scheme accompishes that.

It's a very simple business model - per the wisdom in the US Politics thread.

2021 Expenses

$1,175,900,000

Annual Revenue via Bluecheck

$28,800,000 = all 300k Blue Checks * $8 * 12 months

Net Profit

-($1,147,1700)

I honestly can't even try and guess what's going to be the eventual outcome. He's such a blend of chaotic Id, calculated greed, uncalculated greed, and a sprinkling of concern for humanity split into 3 categories - feigned, self delusional and some actually genuine. And then you've got demands from financial backers on top of the greed components.

Only time will tell which win out.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I honestly can't even try and guess what's going to be the eventual outcome. He's such a blend of chaotic Id, calculated greed, uncalculated greed, and a sprinkling of concern for humanity split into 3 categories - feigned, self delusional and some actually genuine. And then you've got demands from financial backers on top of the greed components.

Yeah, not sure how this is all going to play out for Luthen Rael. He's playing a very dangerous game.

:P

ETA: Sorry, thought this was in the Andor thread. :lol:

The blue check thing is simple:

Previously this has operated as a trust system for users, so they know a poster with a blue check is who they say they are.

However, it has by default become a bit of a status symbol. People with blue checks joke about the luxury lounge and so on.

Importantly, there are a significant number of people who don't have blue checks who really want one. Lots of them are conspiracy theorists who believe it would confer credibility on them. Many of these people are accounts Musk reads and we know this because he sometimes retweets them.

So Musk wants to find a way to give these people what they want. Making blue checks a purchaseable status symbol, taking away the need to actually be a reliable source and at the same time giving blue check accounts priority on the app, is the aim here. Not making money.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

Making blue checks a purchaseable status symbol, taking away the need to actually be a reliable source and at the same time giving blue check accounts priority on the app, is the aim here. Not making money.

But wouldn't making blue checks a purchaseable status symbol automatically downgrade it as a status symbol in the first place? I mean knowing anyone can have it for a few bucks a month should do it, no?

20 minutes ago, karaddin said:

All of this and maybe a not so moderate amount of attention seeking? 

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

The blue check thing is simple:

Previously this has operated as a trust system for users, so they know a poster with a blue check is who they say they are.

However, it has by default become a bit of a status symbol. People with blue checks joke about the luxury lounge and so on.

Importantly, there are a significant number of people who don't have blue checks who really want one. Lots of them are conspiracy theorists who believe it would confer credibility on them. Many of these people are accounts Musk reads and we know this because he sometimes retweets them.

So Musk wants to find a way to give these people what they want. Making blue checks a purchaseable status symbol, taking away the need to actually be a reliable source and at the same time giving blue check accounts priority on the app, is the aim here. Not making money.

Agree. There’s already quite a few conspiracists with blue check marks… now that number will go up significantly imo. 
What I’m not sure of is, will the authentic blue check marks also have to pay? And if so, will that cause some to go Stephen King’s suggested route? 

ETA: if this system is implemented

Its very simple, now that Musk is a Republican/conservative, he wants to get on the same gravy train as other con artists who happily divest middle class Americans of their hard earned money by promising them access to some exclusive club.

Also, 'free spech absolutist' Musk and his fanbois are typically the kind of thin-skinned snowflakes who cant handle criticism, so I imagine railguards will be placed back on Twitter once they get significant pushback.

Everyone is panicking about Musk turning Twitter into some sort of Nazi hell hole, but that says more about them than any facts on the ground. We should look at what Musk has said his plans are for Twitter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/06/technology/elon-musk-twitter-pitch-deck.html

Quintuple revenue to $26.4 billion by 2028.

In his pitch deck, Mr. Musk claimed he would increase Twitter’s annual revenue to $26.4 billion by 2028, up from $5 billion last year.

Cut Twitter’s reliance on advertising to less than 50 percent of revenue.

Under Mr. Musk, advertising would fall to 45 percent of total revenue, down from around 90 percent in 2020. In 2028, advertising would generate $12 billion in revenue and subscriptions nearly $10 billion, according to the document. Other revenue would come from businesses such as data licensing.

Produce $15 million in revenue from a payments business.

Twitter would bring in $15 million from a payments business in 2023, according to the document, which would grow to about $1.3 billion by 2028. The company’s payments business today, which includes tipping and shopping, is negligible. There has been speculation that Mr. Musk may introduce payment abilities to Twitter given that he helped popularize PayPal, the digital payments service.
With all of these changes, Mr. Musk anticipates he can lift Twitter’s average revenue per user — a key metric for social media companies — to $30.22 in 2028 from $24.83 last year, according to the document.

Reach 931 million users by 2028.

Mr. Musk anticipates Twitter’s total number of users will grow from 217 million at the end of last year to nearly 600 million in 2025 and 931 million six years from now. Most of that growth will come from Twitter’s ad-supported business, including Twitter Blue, for which users pay $3 a month to customize their experience on the app. According to the pitch deck, Mr. Musk expects 69 million users of Twitter Blue by 2025 and 159 million in 2028.

Have 104 million subscribers for a mysterious X by 2028.

Included in Mr. Musk’s total user estimates are what appear to be subscribers to a new product called X, which would have 104 million users in 2028, according to the document. The document did not detail what X Subscribers was, but Mr. Musk has hinted at introducing an ad-free experience on Twitter. The X Subscribers product shows up on the pitch deck in 2023, with nine million users expected in its first year.

Hire 3,600 employees — after shedding hundreds.

By 2025, Mr. Musk anticipates Twitter will have 11,072 employees, according to the document. That would be up from around 7,500 today.

But in between, Mr. Musk expects the number to fluctuate, rising to 9,225 employees in 2022, then declining to 8,332 in 2023 before increasing again. Mr. Musk is likely to shed workers as part of his takeover, before bringing on new talent in engineering, a person with knowledge of the situation said. Stock-based compensation costs are also expected to rise to just over $3 billion by 2028, from $914 million in 2022.

Raise free cash flow to $9.4 billion.

Twitter will add about $13 billion of debt as part of Mr. Musk’s buyout plan. But he expects to pay that debt down as free cash flow — a measure of how much money a company has to service its debt — is set to grow to $3.2 billion in 2025 and $9.4 billion in 2028, according to the pitch deck. Free cash flow would rise even as operating expenses and costs also rose, according to the document.

The big one I think is that Musk sees the platform as a payments platform rather than an advertising model. I've seen numerous people discuss the idea that he wants to introduce Crypto into verification processes to allow a much more secure platform that links into payments as well.

Lots of other evidence for that is that the team he's brought in are a mix of Paypal and crypto friends.

BTW - If anyone wants to know how to help fuck Elon and turn their mobile twitter app into a COMPLETELY AD-FREE EXPERIENCE, all you have to do is block a bunch of accounts that send you 'sponsored' tweets.

First time I did it, every third tweet in my feed was an ad. And not even for shit that interests me. That's just taking the piss, I thought. So, in a moment of indignant frustration, I started going through my feed and blocking every sponsored tweet.

Fuck you, Red Bull, your drink tastes worse than warm wombat piss.

No, Pelaton, I do not want to buy a £13000 exercise bike.

Get lost, Numan, my cock works just fine without your proprietary supplements.

Anyway, I ended up blocking about twenty accounts, I think. Then, after refreshing the app, I stopped seeing ads. None at all. I was amazed.

The process still works. After a while, the sponsored tweets come back, but just a few judicious blocks quickly puts an end to the twitter adpocalypse.

Just now, Spockydog said:

BTW - If anyone wants to know how to help fuck Elon and turn their mobile twitter app into a COMPLETELY AD-FREE EXPERIENCE, all you have to do is block a bunch of accounts that send you 'sponsored' tweets.

First time I did it, every third in my feed was an ad. And not even for shit that interests me. That's just taking the piss, I thought. So, in a moment of indignant frustration, I started going through my feed and blocking every sponsored tweet.

Fuck you, Red Bull, your drink tastes worse than warm wombat piss.

No, Pelaton, I do not want to buy a £13000 exercise bike.

Get lost, Numan, my cock works just fine without your proprietary supplements.

Anyway, I ended up blocking about twenty accounts, I think. Then, after refreshing the app, I stopped seeing ads. None at all. I was amazed.

The process still works. After a while, the sponsored tweets come back, but just a few judicious blocks quickly puts an end to the twitter adpocalypse.

Luckily for you Musk wants to move away from an ad funded model so you must love him

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

*checks Week's net worth vs Musk's.

Feel free to do your own dick measuring contest with Musk, thanks. I'm perfectly comfortable with myself.

Anyone remember the Truth Social pitch deck? I think that was about as batty as this one.

Archived