Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well that article started out well and went downhill quick 

That's entirely fair, and it does get pretty conspiracy-laden! But the early parts about what the goals of Bluesky are and how they align with Musk's vision are pretty sound. 

Where it gets real murky for me is Musk's stated goals - which are numerous, self-contradictory and vague - and his actions, which are predatory, idiotic and self-serving. Musk has said that he wants an open system like what Dorsey wants, but buying Twitter is probably the least useful way to do that for a variety of reasons, and firing half of the people who work on it is quite possibly the worst possible way to attract the engineers who have the expertise in the area you could ever come up with. 

You people lack imagination. 

I do not know why Mr. Musk bought Twitter. But y'all are being silly if you think its maintenance as-is is what he wanted. If Elon Musk didn't want to mess with it he wouldn't have bought it. And because he bought it he's gonna mess with it. That's WHY HE BOUGHT IT. 

No offense, but some of y'all're just whining because he's taking away your pacifier. Now whether he intends to disincorporate, merge, modify, or outright replace that pacifier none of us can know. But, uh, you have no rights or right to say what's right when it comes to Twitter. You never did. That's why you feel so hurt and helpless. 

"I get to see dawgs"

"I know rumors about shootings two hundred miles away before the LAmeStReam FAKE neWS Me-dee-ah gets details!"

Gimme a break. Just admit that you like having your emotions jerked around by strangers and bots you'll never meet. Save Ran some storage space.

25 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

Gimme a break. Just admit that you like having your emotions jerked around by strangers and bots you'll never meet. Save Ran some storage space.

Delete all the NFL and sports threads then. That's not so different. Personally, though I would miss Twitter, I'm also very interested in watching/predicting the future of this dumpster fire as it burns. Which is the entire point of the NFL thread IIRC -- even with similar billionaire sociopaths. Maybe a bit fewer brain injuries. Well, other than the Elon fanbois.

2 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

This is an interesting article on what Jack Dorsey's new thing - Bluesky - means to do and how it is a collaboration with Twitter. And what the vision of Dorsey is, and what Musk's might be. This also explains a bit better about what I mean when I talk about making something like Twitter a common system instead of it going into the massively fragmented route and how Bluesky is working toward that goal.  

https://davetroy.medium.com/no-elon-and-jack-are-not-competitors-theyre-collaborating-3e88cde5267d

I'm glad you posted this article as I read it yesterday and am unsure if it is accurate or not.  This passage really made me wonder what I was reading and have never heard of this way of thinking before. 

Q: What does Dorsey mean, “I trust [Musk’s] mission to extend the light of consciousness?”

A: This is a reference to “longtermism,” the heavily marketed philosophy being promoted by Musk and his friend William MacAskill that asserts the only thing that matters is humanity’s future in space, and that the only goal of the living is to maximize the number of future humans alive, as well as the number of artificial intelligence instances that could possibly exist in the future. This mandate is most often used to brush aside calls for improving conditions and alleviating suffering among the living here on Earth now. Because, the theory goes, giving a poor person a blanket isn’t likely to be as useful for the future of humanity as building a rocket to Mars. Longtermism is heavily influenced by “Russian Cosmism” and is also directly adjacent to “Effective Altruism.” Musk’s stated mission, which he intends to fulfill in his lifetime, is to “make humanity a multiplanetary species.” The anti-democratic urge in longtermism is rooted in the belief that “mob rule” will lead to nuclear annihilation; we should, Musk thinks, be guided by “wiser” minds — like his and Putin’s apparently.

Wiser minds like Putin?   Good grief is this for real?

10 minutes ago, Week said:

Delete all the NFL and sports threads then. That's not so different. Personally, though I would miss Twitter, I'm also very interested in watching/predicting the future of this dumpster fire as it burns. Which is the entire point of the NFL thread IIRC -- even with similar billionaire sociopaths. Maybe a bit fewer brain injuries. Well, other than the Elon fanbois.

If we're gonna delete threads that have our emotions jerked around, it'd be much more efficient to delete the entire top of the forum devoted to speculating on how asoiaf is gonna end.

38 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

You people lack imagination. 

I do not know why Mr. Musk bought Twitter. But y'all are being silly if you think its maintenance as-is is what he wanted. If Elon Musk didn't want to mess with it he wouldn't have bought it. And because he bought it he's gonna mess with it. That's WHY HE BOUGHT IT. 

No offense, but some of y'all're just whining because he's taking away your pacifier. Now whether he intends to disincorporate, merge, modify, or outright replace that pacifier none of us can know. But, uh, you have no rights or right to say what's right when it comes to Twitter. You never did. That's why you feel so hurt and helpless. 

"I get to see dawgs"

"I know rumors about shootings two hundred miles away before the LAmeStReam FAKE neWS Me-dee-ah gets details!"

I know you're the chaos queen of the forums and everything but this is an odd post. Not a single person here thinks we can or are going to control what happens with twitter. And clearly no-one thinks Musk bought it to keep it the same, that's why the whole topic exists. You've just straight made up a person to argue with because the people who actually exist here aren't giving you the high you're chasing.

53 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The recent culture war hysteria around furries started on Facebook.

I don't do fb either, for all the same reasons as I don't join twit -- particularly as I'm the product and they both sell me for their profit -- and sure as hell don't share.  And give it to people one really doesn't want to have one's personal details.

That's why, in fact, I am on no social media at all, except this place.  It does sell adds, but these are really easy to not see.

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

I'm glad you posted this article as I read it yesterday and am unsure if it is accurate or not.  This passage really made me wonder what I was reading and have never heard of this way of thinking before. 

Wiser minds like Putin?   Good grief is this for real?

Yeah, the longtermism thing is real and does appear to be something that a number of technophiles are buying into. 

The noosphere stuff appears to at least be a fairly heavy influencer on Putin's thought processes and a whole lot of his actions. It makes sense given how much Russia has invested in being able to do social campaigns and political manipulations and it makes sense given how cheaply Russia can do that sort of thing. I don't buy into any of the notion that Russia is particularly good at it - see Ukraine and world reaction to it vs. what Russia thought would happen - but it is a good basis to understand their global strategies.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

just that they both lucked out by being in the right place at the right time with the resources needed to leverage good inevitable ideas that were coming down the pipe anyway. 

This is pretty true about success in general. Luck is the most important aspect more often than not, whether you came up with an idea that in retrospect should have been obvious or some talent agent discovers you at a Starbucks. Being at the right place at the right time can be half the battle. 

2 hours ago, Week said:

Terrible. Try again. 

In fact, take notes from:

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I know you're the chaos queen of the forums and everything but this is an odd post. Not a single person here thinks we can or are going to control what happens with twitter. And clearly no-one thinks Musk bought it to keep it the same, that's why the whole topic exists. You've just straight made up a person to argue with because the people who actually exist here aren't giving you the high you're chasing.

It's way less fun when you're correct and concise. 

:idea:

20 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Firing half the staff and making everyone come back to the office full time. Oy. Sorry folks.

I did read reports of Twitter staff being told to print out their recent work so it could be shown to Elon and Tesla employees, followed afterwords by them being asked to stop printing once someone presumably realised how stupid it was.

16 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I did read reports of Twitter staff being told to print out their recent work so it could be shown to Elon and Tesla employees, followed afterwords by them being asked to stop printing once someone presumably realised how stupid it was.

It's nothing to me, ten million useless algorithm pushers could starve to death and I wouldn't notice them but for the decrease in carbon emissions, but does anyone else wonder what David Graeber would have made of this gutting? 

I absolutely don't know for sure. But a part of me suspects he'd be like GRRM when people would.bring up the Red Wedding at Q/A events. 

13 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

But a part of me suspects he'd be like GRRM when people would.bring up the Red Wedding at Q/A events. 

Just for fun, could you give a hypothetical Graeber response in this vein? :cheers:

In a rare diversion of thinking between us, Partner is extremely unhappy at the thought of losing Twitter as it's always been known to Partner, whereas my own sense abou8t this is the sooner it goes away the better!  :fencing: But then Partner is a twit, while I am not.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Just for fun, could you give a hypothetical Graeber response in this vein? :cheers:

Well, um. There are a few difficulties with, because I just wonder if... I mean, it could maybe work with like a sort...of... like...

Okokok,IfollowIknowI'mThinking...

WellLookThereAreJustRealitiesInAnySytemLetAloneOneOfTheMostComplex,interconnected,andCarelesslyManagedSystemsInHumanHistory

And... I guess maybe, that's something, and it should be respected. That no matter how solid or how immutable your economic niche may seem someone can just come in and throw a brick through your front door(isThataThing?(IfeelConfidentThat'sSomething,PeopleStillThrowBricksRight?))[well one person agrees people throw bricks, I'm going to go with it] /SoOk SoOk, a little off topic, we're ok SoOk/ and when that door comes down, well, in tough language I'd say that we see where the redundancies are. Now I don't know the particulars of Twitter's employment situation but in all honesty I wrote a whole book about Bullshit Jobs and though I don't know exactly what every person who is losing their jobs did or did not contribute towards Twitter's market value <the only relevant factor to the likes of Musk |ItJustNeedsToBeSaidThatThePriorityDevotedToContinuallyTransferringMinuteOwnershipsOfCompaniesHasCompletelyMurderedProductivityToSayNothingOfLocalBusinessesAndTheMiddleClassInGeneral|> but the fact that Musk felt that half of his new workforce was utterly redundant isn't surprising to me at all. 

---------------------------

My best effort. Attempted out of admiration. 

Archived