Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

54 minutes ago, Ran said:

I doubt people would notice any real difference if Scott Bakker ran the forum, assuming I gave it to him after he became a diehard ASoIaF fan and showed he'd run the community as such rather than turning it into a philosophy-and-Prince of Nothing focused forum.

But this is effectively saying 'assuming R Scott Bakker wasn't R Scott Bakker'. If Musk wasn't Musk, he'd run Twitter differently.

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

But this is effectively saying 'assuming R Scott Bakker wasn't R Scott Bakker'. If Musk wasn't Musk, he'd run Twitter differently.

I don't think Elon Musk and Jack Dorsey and whoever was running Twitter are really that far apart in their views on the basics of Twitter as a community.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This guy gets his marketing advice from Kanye and Kyrie.

Again, if I had to put my money where my mouth is, I'd heavily fade Twitter's value. 

Kanye West? The richest black man since Taharko? 

Like the esteemed Pharaoh I would not look to Mr. West for moral wisdom, but I'm sure he knows money.

Eta: unsourced assertion. I mostly just wanted to reference the Kushite dynasties 

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Per reports the layoffs were largely based on how many lines of code you've written in the last year. Which if you've worked in tech at all you can understand how insane that is to gauge anyone's quality, and in particular the teams that focus on things like security, privacy, AI, deployments, architecture and tooling would almost certainly be gutted.

I wonder if there are some Twitter developers who did some simple refactoring that happened to change a lot of lines of code without any change to the functionality and Elon's now convinced they are genius programmers? One of my colleagues once did some automated reformating of our source code and changed about 2.5 million lines, Elon would probably think he was the best programmer ever.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I don't think Elon Musk and Jack Dorsey and whoever was running Twitter are really that far apart in their views on the basics of Twitter as a community.

Dorsey hasn't been running things for a while. And the previous CEO was absolutely very different than what Musk is like and what Musk wants, given the absolute obliteration of trust and safety, ethics, moderation, globalization, and outreach. Agrawal has been CEO for just under a year and he very much had the goal of it being a social media company - with ad revenue driving free content, reduction of abuse and not being too evil. 

Per Musk's actions and statements that is absolutely not his view of Twitter.

25 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I wonder if there are some Twitter developers who did some simple refactoring that happened to change a lot of lines of code without any change to the functionality and Elon's now convinced they are genius programmers? One of my colleagues once did some automated reformating of our source code and changed about 2.5 million lines, Elon would probably think he was the best programmer ever.

The other thing here is that those who are working on the main platform are almost certainly not writing a lot of code, but they have IMMENSE institutional knowledge. They would be responsible for smaller bug fixes, small feature adds, that sort of thing. They won't have written a lot of code because they won't have done big new feature work, but losing them loses literally the people who know how to keep the lights on. 

According to enraged Partner, it is now being floated sotto voce among the very rich that muskovite reichlican politicos are saying the corporations and companies pulling their advertising from twitter will be investigated by someone someone someone when u no hoo is back in D.C.

They are revealing this on twitter, I'm told. So,  :unsure: , but wouldn't in the least put it past Them.

This is true though; rich reichs are being ordered to drop advertising $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on twitter as of right now.

So much for the free speech that one is forced to speak and pay for speaking.

45 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Agrawal has been CEO for just under a year and he very much had the goal of it being a social....., ...reduction of abuse and not being too evil. 

No amount of words in no order would bridge that ellipsecle (#SarahPalin-ing) gap I have highlighted. 

Humans are abusive and evil. If your solution to repair that condition means using advanced maths and programming techniques (known only to a privileged few) to control what people are exposed to then I have something to tell you about yourself. And it ain't good, if you're following.

15 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

No amount of words in no order would bridge that ellipsecle (#SarahPalin-ing) gap I have highlighted. 

Humans are abusive and evil. If your solution to repair that condition means using advanced maths and programming techniques (known only to a privileged few) to control what people are exposed to then I have something to tell you about yourself. And it ain't good, if you're following.

My solution is emphatically not to use math and programming techniques. My solution is to put more people in the place to reduce harmful things and give them the tools and abilities to do that, as well as give them the actual authority to make those decisions. 

Quoting a commentator from a public elsewhere:

I am a big dumb idiot who only just now realized that GM, Ford, etc pulling their advertising from Twitter could also help them (indirectly) tank Tesla. Maybe all that Twitter advertising helps them enough that it wouldn't be worth it, maybe pulling their ads wouldn't be enough to cause problems for Elmu, but if I were a car company executive I'd be hard pressed not to try it for a few months.

If anybody knows what a vaporware jerkwaddie is the Big Muskovite, it's these guys.

Nor do they like him.  Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Not everyone is in fact aware, though. I had to spend time looking it up to see if it was legit or not. Not everyone, alas, would make the same effort and would just believe Grimes actually said something that she did not.

I would have had no idea. I thought the blue check mark still meant verified - I guess not.

Looks like Twitter is about to become Gab/Parler. Glad I was never interested in Twitter, whew!!!

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I would have had no idea. I thought the blue check mark still meant verified - I guess not.

Looks like Twitter is about to become Gab/Parler. Glad I was never interested in Twitter, whew!!!

Invest in Tyghter, a more secure knockoff. 

Archived