Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I would have had no idea. I thought the blue check mark still meant verified - I guess not.

Grimes is verified. But it is very easy to doctor a screenshot showing that someone replied to anyone else, or that someone posted a tweet that said something. You can just go into inspection mode and literally change anything you want on a page, or just use the expedient of photoshop.

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, the reports that content moderation had stopped was clearly a falsehood, and seemed  obviously  false from the start. 

It hasn't stopped but the team that does it has been reduced significantly and a much larger percentage are getting through, for longer. It's also something that is clearly being de-emphasized given the amount of people working on it - as well as Musk's own predilections and viewpoints. 

2 minutes ago, JGP said:

Yeah, I don't know about that. I've seen a lot that would indicate otherwise. At the very least there's been a choke on moderation, Ran.

That sounds like the result of the short-term chaos of layoffs and all that and not actually a change in policy as some darkly speculated. When Musk said nothing had changed regarding content moderation, he doubtless meant nothing changed about policy, which seems to in fact be true. The capacity to manage moderation is no doubt reduced, and may be reduced from here on out, or maybe as the company is reorganized the capacity will return to what it once was. 

To me it's a lot like the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. Initial panic and confusion lead to a lot of wild assumptions and claims, and then things settled and it went pretty smoothly. We'll see how things are a month from now.

A friend's been laid off, unfortunately.

I don't know what Musk is going to do to the platform, but twitter for me and a lot of med twitter has been excellent in pushing against the very hierarchical structure of the field and challenging the gatekeepers of various aspects of the field.

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

That sounds like the result of the short-term chaos of layoffs and all that and not actually a change in policy as some darkly speculated.

It was happening last weekend. It wasn't just today. 

And honestly, reducing the capabilities of the workforce dedicated to moderation IS a policy change. It's not being explicit about allowing certain things but it might as well be; it's effectively decriminalizing the topics. 

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

When Musk said nothing had changed regarding content moderation, he doubtless meant nothing changed about policy, which seems to in fact be true.

By policy sure.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

me it's a lot like the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. Initial panic and confusion lead to a lot of wild assumptions and claims, and then things settled and it went pretty smoothly. We'll see how things are a month from now.

Forgive me that’s a terrible analogy, the Afghan is in shambles, they’re in a famine, and women and girls are killed due to an increase in misogyny.

By any reasonable metric it’s a worse place than it was before the US started to pull out.

4 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

it's effectively decriminalizing the topics. 

It should also be noted even sites like YouTube and Facebook although having a ToS similar to Twitter already allows  a lot of bigoted shit from big users: see Crowder doing black face repeatedly.

What Elon is doing is making it harder for mods to crack down on more small scale displays of bigotry at all.

53 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Looks like Twitter is about to become Gab/Parler. Glad I was never interested in Twitter, whew!!!

From a fellow non-Twit, I think I've already reached the point where I've spent more time reading this thread than I cumulatively have actually on Twitter's site (as opposed to viewing Tweets secondhand).

1 hour ago, JGP said:

Are you on blast this much in reality, Jace lol

58 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

My solution is emphatically not to use math and programming techniques. My solution is to put more people in the place to reduce harmful things and give them the tools and abilities to do that, as well as give them the actual authority to make those decisions. 

And who places these people? Are they (the emplaced and empowered) the same persons who dictate what is harmful and what is not? Do they establish policy regarding the use of their powers ad hoc or is the policy set by others? If so, who places these others and what empowers the others to enforce policy stricture on the tool users. Where does this authority come from? 

Musk? The 'market'? Trey Gowdy? Mark ZUCKERBERG!?! 

From the same elsewhere source I cited previously, there is a product planning group which is to provide the privilege to those paid sub people to be enabled to send private dms to the celebrity, ie. V.I.T., i.e. Very Important Twitters, like AOC.  Who supposedly also pays for the privilege of being on twitter with her millions of followers, and read avidly all the detailed descriptions of rape, torture and death the private messenger is planning for her.

Right.  Best revenue sourcing plan ever.  Better stick with forcing corps to dump their ad dollars on the hopeless pos.

15 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

We (microsoft) just did a lot of infrastructure fat trimming, and it's remarkable what you can save depending on what you're doing. Reducing redundancy is one thing, but also simply changing what virtual machines you're using to cheaper, more modern skus, getting rid of old subscriptions and random spinups for dev work, more on demand compute power, removal of customers assets who aren't using the service any more...with the cloud it is very easy to just have a bunch of expensive resources sitting around.

That said our aim was to reduce costs by roughly 5-10%. Reducing costs by 60%+ would be absolutely insane by engineering staff alone and would likely require significant negotiations with cloud partners and architects. 

We did the same. We currently offer our platform on 3 big infrastructure providers plus redshift plus bring your own tenant. It's  completely insane. Unfortunately Azure is not making the cut, except if customers bring their own tenant and are ready to pay more for the extra ops. I guess this kind of redundancy exists everywhere. The savings are probably not so much in the infrastructure costs, but there are usually highly paid teams for each of the infrastructure components.

5 hours ago, Loge said:

Fun fact about the cost cutting. The $13 billion dollar loan Musk took to finance the takeover will cost Twitter (not Musk) one billion dollar interest a year.

Frankly I'm not sure why you think you're entitled to know a Masters machinations. I like you. That is why I have reported your comments to the Business Betterment and Social Security Bureau (BBSSB). 

I want you treated fairly and reassimilated. This is a thing of friendships I do.

Not sure if true, but apparently Musk fired the coders who had typed the fewest lines of code.

Because lots of code is naturally more efficient, and typing crucial security coding is best done quickly…

So he’s probably fired his best coders.

Archived