Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

48 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Not sure if true, but apparently Musk fired the coders who had typed the fewest lines of code.

Because lots of code is naturally more efficient, and typing crucial security coding is best done quickly…

So he’s probably fired his best coders.

From I’ve seen Many Conservatives are cheering the layoffs on as justice.

I think they literally think all these people did all day was scour Twitter and censore conservatives just for saying things like they traditional family values and love x country.

Excellent, o most excellent.

Welcome to Hell Elon: You Break It, You Buy It.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/23428132/elon-musk-twitter-acquisition-problems-speech-moderation

.... You can’t deploy AI at this problem: you have to go out and defend the actual First Amendment against the bad laws in Texas and Florida, whose taxes you like and whose governors you seem pretty fond of. Are you ready for what that looks like? Are you ready to sit before Congress and politely decline to engage in their content capture sessions for hours on end? Are you ready to do any of this without the incredibly respected policy experts whose leader you first harassed and then fired? This is what you signed up for. It’s way more boring than rockets, cars, and rockets with cars on them.

And it gets worse the second you leave the United States! Germany is a huge market for Tesla. Are you going to flout Germany’s speech laws? I would bet not. The Indian government basically demands social media companies provide potential hostages in order to operate in that country; you can’t engineer your way out of that shit. Are you ready to experience the pressure Twitter faces in the Middle East to block and restrict accounts? Are you ready for the fact that the Iranian government will fucking murder people over their social media posts? (Are you ready for how Twitter is being used by Iranians protesting that government right now?) Are you excited for the Chinese government to find ways to threaten Tesla’s huge business in that country over content that appears on Twitter? Because it’s going to happen.

The essential truth of every social network is that the product is content moderation, and everyone hates the people who decide how content moderation works. Content moderation is what Twitter makes — it is the thing that defines the user experience. It’s what YouTube makes, it’s what Instagram makes, it’s what TikTok makes. They all try to incentivize good stuff, disincentivize bad stuff, and delete the really bad stuff. Do you know why YouTube videos are all eight to 10 minutes long? Because that’s how long a video has to be to qualify for a second ad slot in the middle. That’s content moderation, baby — YouTube wants a certain kind of video, and it created incentives to get it. That’s the business you’re in now. The longer you fight it or pretend that you can sell something else, the more Twitter will drag you into the deepest possible muck of defending indefensible speech. And if you turn on a dime and accept that growth requires aggressive content moderation and pushing back against government speech regulations around the country and world, well, we’ll see how your fans react to that.

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Excellent, o most excellent.

Welcome to Hell Elon: You Break It, You Buy It.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/23428132/elon-musk-twitter-acquisition-problems-speech-moderation

Yeah there are real reasons why he tried really hard to get out of the Twitter. Twitter is a black hole for money and he’d risk his reputation with the right by having to censor them for they like start talking about how Jews control the world.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What are the better alternatives to Twitter?  

Books

Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson-1992

Aurora, Kim Stanley Robinson- 2015

The Alexiad, Anna Komnene- 1143-1153(?)

The Fellowship of the Ring (being the first part of The Lord of the Rings), J.R.R. Tolkien- 1954

A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin- 1996

They Want to Kill Americans, Malcolm Nance- 2022

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: Lord Foul's Bane, 1977

Cinema Speculation, Quenton Tarantino- 2022

Dune, Frank Herbert-1965

The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli- 1532

The City of Brass, S.A. Chakraborty- 2017

Foundation, Isaac Asimov- 1942

The Meditations, Marcus Aurelius- 1558-9(?)

1453, Roger Crowley- 2005

The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss- 2007

Collision of Empires: The War in the Eastern Front in 1914, Prit Buttar-2014

Treasure Island, Louis Robert Stevenson- 1882

The Forgotten Soldier, Guy Sajer- 1965

The Storm of Steel, Ernst Ju(umlaut)nger- 1920

Lost to the West: The Forgotten Byzantine Empire That Rescued Western Civization, Lars Brownworth- 2009

I can personally recommend the above as various levels of Satisfying, Enlightening, and Comforting for rhe present political/economic climate. 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think they literally think all these people did all day was scour Twitter and censore conservatives just for saying things like they traditional family values and love x country.

Kind of reminds me of the IRS "scandal." They were targeting all political groups abusing the tax code, it just so happened conservatives were way more guilty, and somehow that got spun into the IRS only attacks conservatives. It was so laughable on its face, and yet basically every conservative took it as fact and refused to believe anything else.

Which leads me to say, Twitter, UK or US politics, China and the Middle East, Russia, or idk climate change etc., if the human race wants to actually flourish in the future the conservative state of mind needs to be shattered.

Have realised that a silver lining to the possible collapse of Twitter is that Phillip Pullman may stop hanging around it being cross about things and start writing part three of the Book of Dust instead. If I get it in my hands before the end of 2024, I'll totally forgive Elon Musk everything. 

The end of Twitter: the rebirth of human productivity? (Would write more but ooh, cat meme sighted!) 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What are the better alternatives to Twitter?  Seeing a number of folks talk about Madtadon, but I have no idea what that is.mm

It's a Twitter/email hybrid. The interface is very much like Twitter, but you need to pick a server to open an account, just like you need to pick an email provider to open an email account. Doesn't matter too much which one, they all have the same basic functionality and talk to each other. https://joinmastodon.org/ or if you know anyone who already has an account, ask them for an invite.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

They were targeting all political groups abusing the tax code, it just so happened conservatives were way more guilty,

They do this quite blatantly.

Especially with churches. Televangelists have made me believe churches should be taxed.

Prageru lists itself as a charity that’s apolitical when it constantly pushes conservative politics.

They never show a pink haired feminist talking about Western patriarchy still being a thing, or a BLM activist, a queer person advocating for the codification of gay marriage into law.

29 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’ve never encountered someone who likes Twitter.

I do all the time; I even live with one, though I am not one. Ha!

Also, I encounter those, all the time, just like all those who claim to loathe FB,  yet they're always on it, at least as much as those who love FB.

Archived