Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Accept nothing less than a 250% pay increase and equity. If not offered, pass. 

Easy to say.

But this happened very suddenly.

Unless they already have another job line up, a paycheck is a paycheck. 

People want to pay their bills. 

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Easy to say.

But this happened very suddenly.

Unless they already have another job line up, a paycheck is a paycheck. 

People want to pay their bills. 

The people who were let go have 60 days of severance + another 30 if they sign the deal they are given (which has things like will not sue twitter). Twitter has a lot less leverage.

Now most techies will do this anyway because it always sucks to see something you worked hard on break if you can fix it. But that isn't guaranteed.

28 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Easy to say.

Yes and no. If you get laid off and then your boss calls to hire you back, you can make some strong demands, which include better pay, more time off, better working conditions, etc. and in this specific case, which requires a rare and valuable skillset, with also this piece of shit crumbling a company in a hostile takeover, yeah, if you want to stay but get the bag, demand it.

Don't pay your bills! 

Don't pay your rent!

Mortgage is The Man's word for bondage. They play MDSM games in the office after they're done selling you a piece of paper. 

Don't go to work!

Don't go to school!

Homework is The Man's word for thought limiters. Teachers... shit, I don't have anything for this one...

Don't obey traffic laws!

Don't get your oil checked!

Catalytic Converter is The Man's word for vehicular oppression. Mechanics put microchips in your alternators to make them constapators.

Don't feed your kids!

Don't wash your pets! 

Breakfast is The Man's word for diabetes! This one kind of isn't a joke. Don't feed your children solidified sugar drowned in milk at the beginning of the day. Seriously. The biggest crime perpetrated against the America people since Justin Bieber is fucking "cereal" (I ain't talking about grains). It's not good. A bit of toast and a splash of natural juice will go a long way towards lifting those heavy ass lids your middle schooler is dragging to the bus stop every day.

Eta: eyelids. Heavy eyelids. Because they're in a fucking sugar coma by 7:30 am

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

But that isn't guaranteed.

Elon has shown them he can't be trusted and has a history of treating employees like shit, and they know this now for sure.  He could hire them on Monday and fire them on Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Elon has shown them he can't be trusted and has a history of treating employees like shit, and they know this now for sure.  He could hire them on Monday and fire them on Tuesday.

I agree! 

But I also work in the industry and know the kind of people who work there. And for them it's hard to just walk away from the thing you built. Especially when someone is asking you for help.

This feeling is also why it is hard to even think of unionizing tech workers - because they genuinely enjoy lots of parts of their job and work extra because they choose to.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Accept nothing less than a 250% pay increase and equity. If not offered, pass. 

Equity in Twitter? Hardly seems worth the effort of asking for it at this point. I'd prioritise a big lump sum cash payment over a pay increase, since there's no guarantee they'll be back there for very long.

If true, kneecapping the height of my concern. 

Twitter has been a fantastic networking tool, particularly for creatives, but I'll be [more] content with its slow demise... after the midterms. 

These are the men running Elon Musk’s Twitter
The billionaire has installed several members of his inner circle to enact his vision for the social media platform

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/06/elon-musk-inner-circle/

Musk’s celebrity lawyer now plays key role in Twitter overhaul
Alex Spiro went from representing Jay-Z to participating in one of the biggest technology company overhauls in years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/06/alex-spiro-musk-twitter-lawyer/

This guy ... due to a billionaire patron for music and literature, a musician we know who got into some serious drug bust trouble around the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman, got out of it because billionaire patron called this attorney.  Showing that billionaires not only all know each other, but know each other's henchs and minions. 

[Sidebar] Alas billionaire patron lost a whole lot of money in a green industry into which he went really big, then he got hit really hard by the hurricane that took out Houston, etc.  I don't know if he's still a billionaire, though he is still rich.  But he's doing little to no patronage, trying to re-establish.  He also proves the deal that somebody who is rich isn't necessarily a good business person.  He was born into his daddy's billions, and at a certain age had to start making more money.  Which money he began losing when daddy was no longer alive.

7 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

I just gotta say thanks to Scott for making this thread real quick. I talk a lot of shit about, well everything, but this thread really put the pep in my step the last few days. 

I thank you truly for it.

I believe Ser Scott  is one of the jewels of of the forum. 

On par with a Silmarillion. 

Truly, his patience is legendary. 

20 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I believe Ser Scott  is one of the jewels of of the forum. 

On par with a Silmarillion. 

Truly, his patience is legendary. 

Would it be arrogant to ask if I'm a palantir then???

Archived