Twitter… what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

I'll only repeat what I said some days ago. Twitter was already doomed. Musk's takeover has accelerated the fall spectacularly, but Twitter was already dying of old age, as all social media does.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I'll only repeat what I said some days ago. Twitter was already doomed. Musk's takeover has accelerated the fall spectacularly, but Twitter was already dying of old age, as all social media does.

lol no it hasn’t. twitter will continue on exactly as it has for years as musk realizes everything the prior owners have done was not some ideological project but an attempt to make money off the site and he ends up doing all the exact same things. 

15 minutes ago, all swedes are racist said:

lol no it hasn’t. twitter will continue on exactly as it has for years as musk realizes everything the prior owners have done was not some ideological project but an attempt to make money off the site and he ends up doing all the exact same things. 

Twitter has lost significant revenue (well, for Twitter - the ad revenue is small compared to other social networks) and has large debt payments to service -- the state is not steady. It's a dumpster fire.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

Twitter has lost significant revenue (well, for Twitter - the ad revenue is small compared to other social networks) and has large debt payments to service -- the state is not steady. It's a dumpster fire.

sure, there may be shake ups on the back end business/financial side of things, but i’ll bet in the next, say 90 says or so, there most of it he as revenue quietly returns, musk goes back to posting his standard teenage reddit bait posts, people keep getting banned for posting the n word, and with the exception of a few new features the average user experience strays exactly the same 

The revenue started leaving in April. It ain't coming back anytime soon. Nor is 50% of the workforce - including significant parts of legal, trust and verification, customer engagement, etc. - parts critical to the ongoing functioning and future revenue of the company.

I haven't heard a logical explanation for how the business will be able to function as is with it's plethora of 'headwinds'. To put it lightly.

I have heard many logical explanations (the dreaded cross-discipline 'echo chamber') about how the infrastructure is going to start to break more regularly, trust as been lost (for users, employees, and advertisers), new features will be buggy (have already been!), etc. etc.

Doesn't Mastadon have far less moderation/speech restrictions than Twitter? If it does I dunno that going there is a solution for the people worried about Musk. I don't think he'll turn Twitter into 4chan but rather relax moderation to Fox News comment section levels.

I suspect the cutting of the workforce by 50% is a good old fashioned purge intended to break Twitters company culture and he'll probably hire a large number of new employees as well. 

2 hours ago, Darzin said:

Doesn't Mastadon have far less moderation/speech restrictions than Twitter?

If I understand it right, the platform itself has basically none but each individual server has rules decided by the server owner, and those owners can ban or restrict contact from theirs to those with less restrictions. 

So basically Mastodon is better for cutting off abuse but is probably at even more risk of echo-chambering. 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Nobody is going to be using Mastodon in a couple of years. All of these conversations were happening with the right when it came to Parler and any number of other alternatives that went nowhere.

Parler and a lot of alt right social media outlets  were made to be expressly for far right conservatives to come and say things that would’ve get them booted from Twitter, you know politically incorrect like plotting to overthrow the government or how the Holocaust didn’t happen.

Mastadon has greater potential to grow because it’s not marketing itself as expressively political.

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

You might see a big difference in your own echo chamber but nobody of any import is really going to stay away for too long unless they want to risk anonimity.

Eh, possible Mastadon doesn’t grow to any notable prominence, but I do think Twitter’s cultural import has a significant chance of going down as Elon makes more decisions that either only pleases the fringe right(tweeting homophobic conspiracy theories about a political assassinations) or no one.

Also aren’t you constantly complaining about companies listening to the muttering on Twitter and discounting those muttering as indicative of public sentiment?

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It's already been established there is no alternative to Twitter. Everyone is going to go running back (if they ever actually leave)

Jesus Christ dude, you’ve cried for years on people put too much stock in Twitter.

Now you seem angry that people are daring to suggest a person can remain socially relevant and off Twitter.

Tell me honestly, did you get mad when people said they wouldn’t pay for a blue check mark?

I was just reading that Tesla value has tanked 46% since the bid for Twitter in April, almost a Five. Hundred. Billion. Dollar. Loss.

And I can see that resting bitch face yelling, ‘You don’t own me!’ at Morgan Stanley before throwing his phone into the wall.

11 hours ago, Week said:

Equating the reality of today to the faux outrage and faux business of Parler is ... incorrect.

How is it incorrect? 

Right wingers left Twitter in a storm of faux outrage because they believed the owners of twitter were the enemy with polar opposite ideological positions to them, made a huge fuss about their leaving (I'm going!! Don't try and stop me!!) started pumping out stories about how Gab or Parler is the new social network, go there.. realise it's crap and slowly come crawling back to Twitter because basically everyone is there. 

Where we are at right now:

Left wingers left Twitter in a storm of faux outrage because they believed the owners of twitter were the enemy with polar opposite ideological positions to them, made a huge fuss about their leaving (I'm going!! Don't try and stop me!!) started pumping out stories about how Mastodon is the new social network, go there.. blah blah blah.

The viability of Twitter and its economic problems are a whole other matter. I've said quite a few times that I really don't think Musk is going to get very far with this project, he's as much of a snake oil salesman as the next guy. But then Twitter is a failing business anyway, it has been for a very long time. Jack Dorsey made a public apology for growing the business too quickly, hiring more people than it needed. Clearly someone needs to go into Twitter and sort it out. Also worth mentioning that Meta just laid off a bunch of people there too, citing a downturn in advertising revenues (I'm sure the massive gamble on Metaverse isn't helping either)

Either way, it's just deeply ironic that all the same people who last year were laughing at right wingers fleeing to Parler and Gab and Truth Social are suddenly completely unaware of that irony when it comes back and bites them on the bum. Luckily I can stand far enough away from it all that I can just point and laugh at you all now, and I am laughing. Hard.

Archived