Would it make sense for the North to be an independent kingdom at the end of the books?

Alex13

Considering the losses that the North have sustained so far, in terms of men and material (due to the Ironborn raids) and the losses that the North will sustain, if/when the battle/war against the Others will commence, the North will be one of the most hard hit regions in Westeros, if not the hardest.

Given all that, would it make sense for the North to be independent? I imagine that as a part of the Seven Kingdoms, they had some advantages when it came to buy grain, animals and food stuffs from the other kingdoms; i'm guessing that they were able to buy them cheaper, then when they were independent.

Plus, following the wars, if they are part of the Seven Kingdoms, they could ask for help from the other kingdoms and the crown and they could get it at better rates, then if they were independent.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

But they want to be independent. So I suspect most of them will try to gain independence even if it doesn't seem like such a great idea in the circumstances.

Also, the North got through the previous Long Night on their own before, so there's no reason why they couldn't do so again.

Do we know whether if the North got depopulated or not in the first Long Night? I mean the guy who eventually saves everyones ass is from the Reach so I dunno.

3 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

But they want to be independent. So I suspect most of them will try to gain independence even if it doesn't seem like such a great idea in the circumstances.

Also, the North got through the previous Long Night on their own before, so there's no reason why they couldn't do so again.

I'm not sure that i agree with that.

I doubt the fact that the North defeated the Others by themselves during the first long night and i believe that they had help from the entire Westeros, which was easier to obtain as at that time, the entirety of Westeros was dominated by the First Men, so they were more culturally and religious tied to the other regions, compared with the current situation in Westeros, with only the North being dominant First Men, with the other regions being filled by Andals. 

And given the loses that the North has suffered so far and the casualties that they might still incur with the fighting between Stannis and Ramsay, and possibly Jon and Ramsay, should Stannis fail, then the North's military strength will be further depleted. 

And while the other regions/kingdoms might agree to help the North with troops, food and other supplies, i doubt that it will help the North out of the kindness of their hearts and not expect anything in return. Plus, the North might end up being the most depopulated region after the war against the Others and they might not be able to withstand an invasion from the Andal south. 

3 hours ago, Alex13 said:

Considering the losses that the North have sustained so far, in terms of men and material (due to the Ironborn raids) and the losses that the North will sustain, if/when the battle/war against the Others will commence, the North will be one of the most hard hit regions in Westeros, if not the hardest.

Given all that, would it make sense for the North to be independent? I imagine that as a part of the Seven Kingdoms, they had some advantages when it came to buy grain, animals and food stuffs from the other kingdoms; i'm guessing that they were able to buy them cheaper, then when they were independent.

Plus, following the wars, if they are part of the Seven Kingdoms, they could ask for help from the other kingdoms and the crown and they could get it at better rates, then if they were independent.

The Starks will strike a deal with the Others because they want revenge.  The Kings of Winter have served the Others and got their warg genes from them.  That won't save the North though.  Bran or Jon will allow the Others to pass through the wall.  The Others and the wights will destroy the Boltons and their supporters.  Which is most of the North.  The Starks are the personifications of revenge, vengeance, and hate.  The North will become an Ice Kingdom and will remain so until the spring.  

14 minutes ago, Alex13 said:

I'm not sure that i agree with that.

I doubt the fact that the North defeated the Others by themselves during the first long night and i believe that they had help from the entire Westeros, which was easier to obtain as at that time, the entirety of Westeros was dominated by the First Men, so they were more culturally and religious tied to the other regions, compared with the current situation in Westeros, with only the North being dominant First Men, with the other regions being filled by Andals. 

And given the loses that the North has suffered so far and the casualties that they might still incur with the fighting between Stannis and Ramsay, and possibly Jon and Ramsay, should Stannis fail, then the North's military strength will be further depleted. 

And while the other regions/kingdoms might agree to help the North with troops, food and other supplies, i doubt that it will help the North out of the kindness of their hearts and not expect anything in return. Plus, the North might end up being the most depopulated region after the war against the Others and they might not be able to withstand an invasion from the Andal south. 

I'm not saying it would be a good idea. But I think they might try anyway. Because they have already had their taste of freedom.

16 minutes ago, Rondo said:

The Starks will strike a deal with the Others because they want revenge.  The Kings of Winter have served the Others and got their warg genes from them.  That won't save the North though.  Bran or Jon will allow the Others to pass through the wall.  The Others and the wights will destroy the Boltons and their supporters.  Which is most of the North.  The Starks are the personifications of revenge, vengeance, and hate.  The North will become an Ice Kingdom and will remain so until the spring.  

Lol.

This would actually be fun to read... Westeros unlike the Middle earth does not deserve to be saved really. Being ruled and dominated by a Eldilich frozen demon zombie would be a fitting end... as long as Arya stays on Bravos.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

At this point, I think it's safe to say we are reading a different series.

I really don't get some people. Despite GRRMs claims of grey characters, Starks are obviously written as heroes with little greyness to them besides their eyes. Say Tyrion and Dany for example, two other protagonists are quite grey compared to the Starks, I can get people not liking them formany reasons and even hating them for a few reasons but Starks who were literally written as the good guys that were to be liked, I suspect their haters are just poor trolls seeking attention.

Jon will be KITN and so the realm will be fractured. A pact will be made and Jon will kneel to the Iron Throne to unite the realm so that they can together fight the War for the Dawn. There will probably be an economic component to the deal, and it won't bode well for all the gold of Casterly Rock, but uniting the realm to fight the war will be the priority and turning back on it not considered by anyone.

22 hours ago, Alex13 said:

I think all the 7 Kingdoms will be independent by the end of the books. Only Dany has the power to unite them now, and she is lost and farther from Westeros than when the story started.

Northern independence is an aristocratic vanity project, which offers nothing to 99.5% of the North's population.  In fact, it finished up killing 15,000 or so of their young men. Jon pointed out to Stannis, that a lot of Northern families resented the Robb for the losses which they had suffered.

The North faces two issues:-

1. Occasional famine,

2. Lack of a navy.

Independence would mean cutting themselves off from the Reach, the breadbasket of the Seven Kingdoms, and forfeiting the naval protection of Kings Landing.  They would have to build a navy from scratch, to protect themselves from the ironborn and slavers.

The only benefit is that the Warden of the North now gets called a King, and that his immediate vassals are now vassals to a king, rather than a Lord Paramount.

The North survived as an independent kingdom, at a time when human sacrifice, and the First Night were practised, and its lords practised headhunting and flaying.  Life was nasty, brutish, and short.

12 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Boy oh boy, you got it all wrong! Bran will be the Padishah Emperor of the known universe planetos and rule as god worm weirwood. This is known.

Would we want the world ruled by a cannibal who can warg into people?

On 11/2/2022 at 10:26 PM, Rondo said:

Honestly, I would love to read whatever fan fiction you seem to have been reading. It would be a nice pass of time as I wait for Winds.

Archived