What is Howland Reed doing ? When will we see him ?

So far Howland Reed, the lord of Greywater Watch, leader of the Crannogmen and Ned Stark's best friend hasn't moved from his lands nor made any direct move to help his liege family aside from sending his children Meera and Jojen to Winterfell in ACOK and have his men harrass the Ironborn inside Moat Callin.

We also haven't heard a word about him meeting and hosting Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover who were sent into the Neck by Robb, nor him openly helping the resistance against House Bolton nor to help prepare the North against the Others' return so far.

What do you think that Howland is currently doing ? Do you think that he's in league with the Three-Eyed Crow and is acting on instructions or what his Greensight dictates him to accomplish the prophecies about the return of the Long Night ?

When do you think that we'll finally see or hear more about him ? Will he finally make his move when the "wolves come back to Winterfell" ? Could he makes his first appearance due to the return of Bran and/or Rickon and of at least Meera ?

Could he be the one to reveal the truth about the Tower of Joy and Jon's true parentage ?

I don’t think he’s doing anything. We know from various accounts that the crannogmen aren’t good fighters outside of their swamps. They are or were fighting against the iron born. But realistically they aren’t warriors in the normal sense so they would be useless in a fight for example on Stannis’s side against the Boltons. I don’t think we will ever meet Howland he knows far too much (regarding Jon and the ToJ). Him meeting Mormont and Glover is unknown really we know they were sent there by Robb but we have no idea if they arrived. I doubt he is connected to the Three Eyed Crow Jojen seemed to have more “power” than Howland. 

23 minutes ago, A_upton said:

I don’t think he’s doing anything. We know from various accounts that the crannogmen aren’t good fighters outside of their swamps. They are or were fighting against the iron born. But realistically they aren’t warriors in the normal sense so they would be useless in a fight for example on Stannis’s side against the Boltons. I don’t think we will ever meet Howland he knows far too much (regarding Jon and the ToJ). Him meeting Mormont and Glover is unknown really we know they were sent there by Robb but we have no idea if they arrived. I doubt he is connected to the Three Eyed Crow Jojen seemed to have more “power” than Howland. 

I think he does have something to do with the TEC. A crannogman, who could only be Howland, was said to have spent a year on the Isle of the Faces. I believe the only person to have even gotten to the Isle in centuries. Only Addam Velaryon being rumored to have gone there during the Dance. And I believe there he could’ve communes with the 3EC

5 hours ago, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

I think he does have something to do with the TEC. A crannogman, who could only be Howland, was said to have spent a year on the Isle of the Faces. I believe the only person to have even gotten to the Isle in centuries. Only Addam Velaryon being rumored to have gone there during the Dance. And I believe there he could’ve communes with the 3EC

Yeah, I think exactly the same.  I think Howland is Bloodraven's acolyte south of the wall, and he's been in contact with him via greensight and weirwood warging. 

Howland's importance is he knows Jon's parentage and that information matters most (almost only) to Dany. Dany and he will meet, I don't know how. Dany will go north eventually and Howland may answer a call from Jon to join the cause, so maybe a mundane meeting like that. Perhaps before hand, a chance or meeting of destiny, like she's flying and decides to land Drogon in a swamp for a drink and holy shit that's a floating mud castle let's check it out. Or crash lands during the Dance in his lands and he nurses her back to health.

i think he will play a big role in the denouement, mainly regarding Jon's parentage but also in connection with the TEC, the CotF, and related mysteries. He'll be some kind of leader, or at least play some kind of important role, in the battle against the others. I don't think he appears in person until DoS; at the earliest in the last 1/4 of wow.

I've predicted elsewhere that, over the course of wow, the stark children reunite at winterfell. My prediction is first rickon, then arya, then sansa and jon, in roughly that order, and finally, in the last 2 or 3 chapters,  bran. When bran arrives, with Meera, Meera will send word to her father as to where she is and to some extent what's going on. he'll arrive soon after, but his arrival will be kept as a cliff hanger, and he won't arrive until somewhere in the middle of DOS.

51 minutes ago, Brother Seamus said:

i think he will play a big role in the denouement, mainly regarding Jon's parentage but also in connection with the TEC, the CotF, and related mysteries. He'll be some kind of leader, or at least play some kind of important role, in the battle against the others. I don't think he appears in person until DoS; at the earliest in the last 1/4 of wow.

I've predicted elsewhere that, over the course of wow, the stark children reunite at winterfell. My prediction is first rickon, then arya, then sansa and jon, in roughly that order, and finally, in the last 2 or 3 chapters,  bran. When bran arrives, with Meera, Meera will send word to her father as to where she is and to some extent what's going on. he'll arrive soon after, but his arrival will be kept as a cliff hanger, and he won't arrive until somewhere in the middle of DOS.

I think Bran will never leave the cave. I think he’ll take over for Bloodraven

Howland Reed is currently lurking in the lower levels of the Winterfell crypts (the ones that rumor says are flooded, according to Theon - remember that Bran says the crypts are longer than Winterfell itself and which obviously lead to a secret entrance), along with Galbert Glover, Maege Mormont, and a picked force of northern warriors. Why else would Lady Dustin go to such great lengths to make sure that the door to crypts was dug out and free to open?

We will first meet Howland after the Battle of Ice. Stannis will win the battle when the lake ice breaks beneath the Frey forces, and they are swallowed by the cold. Stannis will then implement his convoluted plan to fake his own death and gain access to Winterfell through subterfuge. It will prove to be wasted effort, however, as the northern lords will have already taken Winterfell from within. Stannis will see the gates of Winterfell thrown open to receive him, and will be greeted by Howland, his second cousin. Roose Bolton will be a prisoner, and all other Bolton and Frey loyalists will have been slaughtered, and their entrails hung in the Heart Tree.

On 11/3/2022 at 6:22 PM, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

I think Bran will never leave the cave. I think he’ll take over for Bloodraven

sound prediction, but my guess is that he makes it back to winterfell when he learns that all his other surviving siblings are there. can't wait to find out.

8 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

This dude is such a bad friend to the Starks. He sends 0 troops for Robb's war effort. Risks very little by attacking the ironborn at moat cailin

Nah, the crannogmen were key to preventing a land-based invasion of the North.  They single-handedly hold the neck and prevent a land-based invasion.  That's their military function.  Unfortunately, the invasion came from the Sea, bypassing the Neck.  But they did a lot of work there....everyone is afraid to even attempt to travel through the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, defending the Neck for his lord Robb Stark. Neck is a very defensive area and it's people are not that good fighters outside of their swamps.

Also, if I remember correctly, one of the last things Ned commanded was for Neck to be defended and strengthened in case of a war, something like that.

Howland is also the only man who knows what happened at ToJ, plus there is a fact he's one of the rare people who are aware that Jon is legit King in the North after Robb died. I have a feeling Howland will come into the story at one point, but not for the sake of fighting battles, leading armies or anything of the manner. Howland seems like a cyberwarfare type of a guy, just for Westeros.

Archived