The Stark children’s purpose at the Tourney of Harrenhal

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

It’s clear to me that Rickard was more politically ambitious than most Starks. And it shocks me that he didn’t attend the Tourney himself. But there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. And aside from Brandon and Lyanna, his other two children did not have a match. And as they were both the second and third sons, neither of them would be likely to get matched with Cersei or another of the great noble houses. I posit he sent them all down there to mingle and find matches to add to the growing alliance that was seeming to form. Further more, I think Brandon dancing with Ashara may not have been for his own desires but to help possibly set her up with Ned.

1 minute ago, Canon Claude said:

huh… I never thought of that. Rickard Stark sends all four of his kids in place of himself? Assuming that the tourney was a cover for Rhaegar to hold some kind of council, why would Rickard stay home??

The only explanation that comes my mind is that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. 

I also don’t think it was Brandon who “dishonored” Ashara. I think if he had, Ned wouldn’t think of Brandon as he does. It’d be more negative. Not saying he’d be happy about his brother’s murder but I doubt it’d be as positive 

6 minutes ago, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

The only explanation that comes my mind is that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. 

Then why not leave Benjen at home? It’s not like anyone actually thinks he could be the Knight of the Laughing Tree anyway

3 hours ago, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

It’s clear to me that Rickard was more politically ambitious than most Starks. And it shocks me that he didn’t attend the Tourney himself. But there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. And aside from Brandon and Lyanna, his other two children did not have a match. And as they were both the second and third sons, neither of them would be likely to get matched with Cersei or another of the great noble houses. I posit he sent them all down there to mingle and find matches to add to the growing alliance that was seeming to form. Further more, I think Brandon dancing with Ashara may not have been for his own desires but to help possibly set her up with Ned.

Lyanna was betrothed to Robert and was possibly sent so he would see her, Ned kept going south to Visit Robert and Jon Arryn, Brandon's wedding was soon if I recall so Benjen must've been there because of it. Second and third sons may not get matched at all but going by what Ned told Bran, that he'll hold holdfasts in Robb's name, and the Starks having no close relatives, Rickard wanting to marry all his sons is quite reasonable. 

"One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

I agree. Obviously I think the tourney was set up by Rhaegar as a sort of great counsel to overthrow his father, and he eventually screwed that up himself. But as part of that conspiracy, Rickard wanted Ned and Benjen to marry into important southern houses. While they weren’t high enough in the line of inheritance for a great house match, both could’ve feasibly found matches in important and respected lesser houses. Like House Dayne. And like I said before, I doubt Ned’s thoughts of Brandon would’ve been as positive if Brandon had slept with a girl he knew Ned liked. Obviously Ned wouldn’t have wanted Brandon dead, but that’s not something you could forget.

Yeah, pretty sure he sent his kids to meet people, establish relationships, and feel out the politics.  It also gives him plausible deniability in terms of Rhaegar's plotting.  I suspect that he was exploring the idea of making the North independent and sent his kids to gather information, even if he didn't tell them.  What they saw and heard would prove incredibly important, even if the kids themselves didn't know the context.

Or maybe he and his wife really wanted a few date-nights and some hanky panky.  That sort of suffers if you have your kids around all the time.

9 hours ago, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

I agree. Obviously I think the tourney was set up by Rhaegar as a sort of great counsel to overthrow his father, and he eventually screwed that up himself. But as part of that conspiracy, Rickard wanted Ned and Benjen to marry into important southern houses. While they weren’t high enough in the line of inheritance for a great house match, both could’ve feasibly found matches in important and respected lesser houses. Like House Dayne. And like I said before, I doubt Ned’s thoughts of Brandon would’ve been as positive if Brandon had slept with a girl he knew Ned liked. Obviously Ned wouldn’t have wanted Brandon dead, but that’s not something you could forget.

I long assumed this was the case with Ashara and Ned, since Allyria is most likely the daughter of Ashara and a Stark and I highly doubt that Stark is Brandon considering how Ned has no bad feelings toward him. Ashara and Ned probably spent the night together with the assumption that they'll marry anyway. But war broke out. Ashara is beautiful, perhaps she was the most beautiful of her time and she is of an old house but not a particularly powerful one. Even in Dorne, the least populous of the kingdoms(save Iron Islands)they aren't particularly powerful and marriages are made primarily for alliances, not for beauty. Ashara's beauty was only an advantage for marrying a lord or heir if he was of the same league. But, marrying the second son of a lord paramount would be a great match for her. First born or his wife may prove infertile, first born may die whether in tourney or battle, any sons first born have could be stillbirths or die as infants or later on in their life, leaving the second son to inherit and if first borns daughter inherit, her son can marry her.  Ned would especially be more attractive a match since we can assume from what he told to Bran that Ned would get landed as well. 

The Daynes of Starfall are one of the most ancient houses in the Seven Kingdoms, though their fame largely rests on their ancestral sword, called Dawn, and the men who wielded it. 

Littlefinger agreed. "The Stark girl brings Joffrey nothing but her body, sweet as that may be. Margaery Tyrell brings fifty thousand swords and all the strength of Highgarden."

"One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

I can't tell if Ashara genuinely felt anything towards him but I can tell that she would be hittting the jackpot with a marriage to Ned or any second son in the position of Ned.

Oh one more thing:

She finished for him. "… crown prince, and heir to the Iron Throne. And I was only twelve when my father promised me to your brother Brandon."

That brought a bitter twist to Ned's mouth. "Brandon. Yes. Brandon would know what to do. He always did. It was all meant for Brandon. You, Winterfell, everything. He was born to be a King's Hand and a father to queens. I never asked for this cup to pass to me."

Which cup did you want Ned?

Archived