Bran will Judge and Forgive Jaime

chrisdaw

3 hours ago, frenin said:

And his life. Not that he couldn't have achieved that without killing Aerys.

So basically everyone who disarms a bomb isn't a hero by that logic, because they're also saving themselves, lol

29 minutes ago, frenin said:

Or, and hear me out here, he could just knocked him out and wait for the thirsy for Aerys's blood rebels to deal with him.

You know he'd still be betraying his king, had he done that.

I don't know if the story will bring Bran and Jaime together again, but I would like Jaime to face Bran again. If Jaime explains why he did what he did then Bran might understand and not hate him for it because Bran is not vengeful. However, the Starks are all about justice and there's no room for sentiment in the law. Bran might be willing to work with Jaime in the face of the apocalypse but would ultimately expect him to pay for his crimes. I doubt he would want Jaime to die, though, he would probably prefer a softer punishment like exile. If Jaime even survives. But Jaime is ultimately a victim of the broken system, so the best response to Jaime's story is to fix the system so no one else is put in the same position.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

You know he'd still be betraying his king, had he done that.

He would not be killing him.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

So basically everyone who disarms a bomb isn't a hero by that logic, because they're also saving themselves, lol

Comparing Aerys with a bomb is silly.

Arguing that Jaime was being moved by altruism and not simply self preservation is the crux of it.

21 hours ago, frenin said:

He's only played up as that in the first book and then he's promptly defeated by a 14yo and as Tywin? Come on now.

He's putting the Riverlands to rights in Tywin's voice while Tywin's theme song plays in the background while lesser men run around like headless chooks, it's not subtle. You can hate the character all you want but letting it lead you to ignore the textual cues is just tiring to read.

17 hours ago, Brother Seamus said:

I predict Jaime survives to near the end of the series, and that Bran and Jaime meet and there is some kind of accounting. Bran does not take revenge, and recognizes that Jaime's act played a role in Bran realizing his destiny.

Like how he does it in the show?

4 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

He's putting the Riverlands to rights in Tywin's voice while Tywin's theme song plays in the background while lesser men run around like headless chooks, it's not subtle. You can hate the character all you want but letting it lead you to ignore the textual cues is just tiring to read.

And he gets immediately captured in an un Tywin manner...

7 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Like how he does it in the show?

i don't remember exactly how it went in the show, but more or less. or completely different in some sense, but more or less, yes, I guess. I can't see Jaime dying before the end, and I can't see Jaime's storyline being somehow separated from the climax of the story - the humans of westeros mostly coming together, setting aside (most of) their differences, and fighting the others. I don't Jaime missing out on the biggest thing to happen in in millennia. what's he going to be doing if not joining the armies of westeros to defend humanity.  I don't see there being more than a few ongoing subplots, separate from the main action, still going on in the last 1/2 to 1/4 of DOS. I'm not saying 100% of the action will take place wherever the others are, but something well over 50% measured by pages.

that said, i don't think the conflict with the others will play out like it did in the show, where there was a kind of last stand/single big battle at winterfell. i can see there being multiple battles against the others in multiple locations. the others may get as far south as kings landing. there will be massacres in the north, if not elsewhere. i think the war with the others will go on longer, with more build-up.

but, yes, Jaime will be in it, and Bran will be there too, and they will meet, and there will be some kind kind of reckoning for what Jaime did.

18 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

There is no Tywin arc for Jaime, as Genna said Tyrion is his father's son far more than Jaime who doesn't have his father's cunning, administrative and political intelligence or ambition, even less with his sense of honor (whenever he admits it or not) and closeness with the subordinates he truly cares for.

The text can not make it anymore plain. Jaime Lannister is becoming Tywin, not the Tywin in your head but Tywin in the terms Genna relates, and precisely those terms, GRRM takes pains having Genna articulate in detail and length what she means.

Silence followed his speech. Edmure sat in his bath. Pia clutched the clothing to her breasts. The singer tightened a string on his harp. Little Lew hollowed out a loaf of stale bread to make a trencher, pretending that he had not heard. With a trebuchet, Jaime thought. If his aunt had been there, would she still say Tyrion was Tywin's son?

"Long and bitter. A life without honor. Until his dying day, men will say he was afraid to fight."

Unjustly, Jaime thought. It was his child he feared for. He knew whose son I am, better than mine own aunt. "The choice was his. His uncle would have made us bleed."

The text is telling you it. Straight up. It's as direct, black and white as anything could be. I shouldn't need to explain this one any more, it's the whole point of the Riverlands Jaime journey. It's signalled in the first Feast Jaime chapter which GRRM signs off like this,

Cersei gave him a lingering look. "You know," she said, "for a moment you sounded quite like Father."

Again it's not subtle, GRRM is telling it plain - this is what we're doing now, Jaime's being Tywin, that's what these chapters here on are about.

23 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I always got the sense that it was Tyrion who was most like Tywin. Jaime thinks he's being like Tywin and acts how he believes Tywin would act but in the end it is Tyrion who is Tywin's son, not him.

Yeah, Jaime is too unambitious, concerned about honor, uninterested by ruling and soft to be like Tywin no matter how much he tries to deny it. 

Even at this worst before his character development Jaime could never come near to his father in terms of cruelty and violence, and even after his development he certainely won't learn how to rule like Tywin did or uses his pen as his weapon instead of the sword. 

There's nothing incredible the text and story made it clear many times that it's Tyrion who's more like his father than Jaime ever will be, and that Jaime is by far the least Tywin-like of his children, Tyrion having his father's cunning, intelligence and taste for politics while Cersei has his ambition, cruelty and hypocrisy.

Jaime's attempt to be like his father are as good as Tygett's efforts to get out of his eldest brother's shadow, since he will never have Tywin's ambition, cunning and ruthlessness.

Archived