Trailer Thread - Movember Noirvember

TheLastWolf

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You misunderstand -- speaking of licensing, not quality.

If I got free promotion, I wouldn't be looking the gift horse in the mouth. Best publicity is competency.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Though I also think that mashing up like that is just ... wrong ... for the context, for many reasons, which I won't go into here.

I say it's perfectly suitable, grand intimate epics both

But, my dear -- whether or not there's profit involved, permission from the copyright holder needs to be obtained to synch the copyright holder's music to images, and vice versa.  

https://www.safemusiclist.com/can-use-copyrighted-music-youtube/

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-use-copyrighted-music-for-my-non-profit-short-film

Or -- ask a copyright lawyer if you don't believe me.

This hold true for using images as well as much else.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's so funny that that's a Ben Wheatley film.

Jeez, I forgot he directed this. I remember reading he was doing it a while ago and was kinda baffled. I’ll check out the trailer now at least.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

NO effing way :lol: really?!?! 

FOLK HORROR SHARKS?! 

Is...Wheatley known for a particular film or set of films? Looking at his IMDB credits, nothing jumps out that's particularly familiar to me? What interesting context am I missing here?

Wheatley wrote/directed Kill List, which is an amazing folk horror movie and what he’s probably most known for. He also did A Field in England. Both are arthouse films and serious mind-fucks.  Him doing something like Meg 2 is just surprising.

Sightseers was also solid and Free Fire was fun too. But I couldn’t recommend Kill List enough. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Is...Wheatley known for a particular film or set of films? Looking at his IMDB credits, nothing jumps out that's particularly familiar to me? What interesting context am I missing here?

It's a little like if Nicolas Winding Refn or Ari Aster had directed a Fast and Furious film.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It's a little like if Nicolas Winding Refn or Ari Aster had directed a Fast and Furious film.

TBF, if Refn did a F&F movie, it'd no doubt be wonderfully weird and ambient. 

I can’t tell if Wheatley doing Meg 2 is an act of courageous creativity; wanting to actually make a good schlock monster movie, or just desperation from a director who stopped getting jobs because nobody watched his movies.

Maybe it’s a bit of both, but one of my favourite things is when crappy genre movies like this are made properly and taken sort of seriously! 

Meg 1 I found to be basically unwatchable, and so clearly created to serve a Chinese audience, which I’m sure is probably true of this too, but this has sparked my interest.

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I can’t tell if Wheatley doing Meg 2 is an act of courageous creativity; wanting to actually make a good schlock monster movie, or just desperation from a director who stopped getting jobs because nobody watched his movies.

Maybe it’s a bit of both, but one of my favourite things is when crappy genre movies like this are made properly and taken sort of seriously! 

Meg 1 I found to be basically unwatchable, and so clearly created to serve a Chinese audience, which I’m sure is probably true of this too, but this has sparked my interest.

I think it’s got to be the first one primarily as I was always under the impression he’s held in pretty good regard by filmgoers. Although there might be some validity to your theory considering I’ve not watched or been compelled to watch his last few years. Except just seen he did a horror a couple years back In the Earth - so I’ll check that out. 
I think it’s a great, kinda hilarious choice and I’ll definitely check it out. I’m not sure if it would have been made in desperation - Wheatley does have a good sense of humour as evidenced by Sightseers.

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

He has a pretty decent filmography. Kill List is incredible. Field in England. Both in the realm of ‘folk horror’ hence my comment. Sightseers is a dark comedy that’s hysterical but still shows that love of horror & rural locations. I haven’t seen his horror movie from a couple years ago ‘In the Earth’ but it sounds like it’s got that vibe as well. 

of course he’s done a bunch of other films too, in different genres, that I mostly haven’t seen. But especially because of his darker films, he is held in pretty good regard. 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

or just desperation from a director who stopped getting jobs because nobody watched his movies.

This seems unlikely, just on the basis that it never happened. He was hired for The Meg while still working on his last film and the last one had only just come out. He might be looking to get a profile boost to get more money to do whatever the hell he wants, that seems quite possible. But he was never in a spot where he wasn't working. 

He also directed a couple of episodes of Doctor Who back in 2014. He's clearly not above working on cheerily silly stuff.

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

TBF, if Refn did a F&F movie, it'd no doubt be wonderfully weird and ambient. 

Drive was actually meant to be a F&F style franchise-starter directed by Neil Marshall, before the producer who hired Gosling (who hired Refn) got his hands on it. So we've probably got quite a good insight already. 

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I took a look at Wheatley’s filmography. I have never seen a single one of his films.

I'll second that Kill List is really good. Probably better if you don't know much about what kinda movie it is going in. I haven't seen anything else he did though.

Edit: If I were an acclaimed serious director who didn't take himself too seriously, I'd jump at a chance to make B-movie with a huge budget. Might be a lot of fun. Even if the movie is trash, I don't think anyone will really blame Wheatly?

Edited by RumHam

Just now, SpaceChampion said:

I remember reading Richard Montañez's story some years back, and being amazed by his having had the gumption to come up with and pitch the idea while he was just a lowly worker at the plant. 

But... while he definitely rose from the ranks to become a marketing executive at Frito Lays, he appears to have vastly overstated his role in the origin of the "Flamin' Hot Cheetos" and its spin-offs.