Trailer Thread - Movember Noirvember

TheLastWolf

37 minutes ago, Ran said:

But... while he definitely rose from the ranks to become a marketing executive at Frito Lays, he appears to have vastly overstated his role in the origin of the "Flamin' Hot Cheetos" and its spin-offs. 

Oh yeah, that part is totally made up.  Apparently it was a fresh out of MBA school marketing team.

Mostly caught up with the 6th season. The show has been uneven and has its go-to tropes, but I have to say this is a pretty outstanding trailer that's made me excited. It makes it look like a pretty epic season.

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Mostly caught up with the 6th season. The show has been uneven and has its go-to tropes, but I have to say this is a pretty outstanding trailer that's made me excited. It makes it look like a pretty epic season.

I'm amazed that this series is still going on. It started in 2014, which for some reasons seems such a long time ago. Anyways, it is indeed a good trailer. I gave up after season one as I was too frustrated with the shabby storytelling

Spoiler

In particular, I remembered losing my shit after they used a herd of cows to bust the Scottish guy out of prison

The fact that it kept on going for so long does make me want to ask, did it improve beyond its first season?

Spoiler

And I remembered thinking then you knew nothing

Spoiler

about those Highland coos (or cattle of any kind, for that matter), and I still think that. Ha!

It was and remains an astonishing feat of television.  Though I quit watching it, just like I quit the books, due to not being able to handle the unrelenting sequences of violence and horrors, which get worse and worse as the seasons and books go on.

And the later books, her treatment of the War of Independence and the South leaves much to be desired, constrained as she had gotten by her world and character building in the previous books.  She jumped the shark with the Caribbean installment -- for whatever reasons, Gabaldon didn't understand at all what was going on there, either with the ruling class or the enslaved -- and so did the television show. 

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The fact that it kept on going for so long does make me want to ask, did it improve beyond its first season?

I think most would say the first season is the best season, and it sort of progressively got worse. I felt like season 4 and 5 was definitely a rough patch for the show, but this past season has been more interesting as it builds up towards the Revolutionary War. The Boston Tea Party happens (off-screen) by the mid point of this season, and Jaime was (nearly) selected as a representative to the First Continental Congress.

I vaguely recall the cattle thing, and it just felt like a standard historical adventure trope and didn't really bother me.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I think most would say the first season is the best season, and it sort of progressively got worse. I felt like season 4 and 5 was definitely a rough patch for the show, but this past season has been more interesting as it builds up towards the Revolutionary War. The Boston Tea Party happens (off-screen) by the mid point of this season, and Jaime was (nearly) selected as a representative to the First Continental Congress.

I vaguely recall the cattle thing, and it just felt like a standard historical adventure trope and didn't really bother me.

That first line tells me everything I need to know. For a minute I was thinking it might have Breaking Bad style improved over the seasons, turning it into something I should give another chance. If that's not the case, I'll steer clear.

Not sure what triggered me about the 

Spoiler

cows. It's been such a long time. Something about getting them up in a mountainous fortress without them being detected I guess.  I think it was just the straw that broke the camel's back, as I recall that for every good scene delving into Highland life (e.g. the women working together to work the wool), there was too much bullshit like the cows.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:39 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'm curious to see how this does when it comes out. I stuck with the parent show far longer than most people I know, and even I haven't bothered to finish it yet. I can't imagine this is going to be very popular, and they probably had to pay Morgan a lot for it. 

On 5/12/2023 at 6:35 PM, RumHam said:

I'm curious to see how this does when it comes out. I stuck with the parent show far longer than most people I know, and even I haven't bothered to finish it yet. I can't imagine this is going to be very popular, and they probably had to pay Morgan a lot for it. 

I stuck it out to the end...and one of the things that I was most incredulous about was that Maggie just didn't straight up kill Negan.  They really bent over backwards to avoid having that happen...and now they're in a new show together?!?!  It just does not make sense.