Trailer Thread - Movember Noirvember

TheLastWolf

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

This, alongside Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning, is the movie for which I am most psyched. This is such a wonderfully ridiculous and over the top series, and I love every moment of it. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

When are we going to get a Mission Impossible movie that's simply called Mission Impossible: Running 

I think it was about the 3rd Bourne movie that I wished for some clever video editor to patch together a bunch of scenes of Ethan Hunt sprinting, then Jason Bourne walking purposefully through a crowd, back and forth. 

Looks like he's welding his Monsters roots to the big-budget SF he's done since. Hope that pays off - Rogue One was good, but it was a bit emotionally cold, whereas Godzilla was just dull, so hopefully him bringing his own touch to this kind of scale brings back what made Monsters so great. 

22 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This actually looks really interesting.

I love his broad viewpoints and allowing the vistas and screen to just speak. Reminds me a lot of Villeneuve, though more of an action vibe. 

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I saw a talk once by (I think) the author of the book this is based on. Anyway, he was talking about what happened to the Osage county Native Americans and I literally had to turn it off. I was getting like, really, really angry hearing the story. What the US government, aligned with business interests, did to these people is beyond belief.

I might not actually watch this movie.

19 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

What the US government, aligned with business interests, did to these people is beyond belief.

I came here to post that trailer too.  These forces did a great deal of it, a very great deal of it, starting with their first step on land in this hemisphere, while also bringing with them enslavement of Africans. That those jerkwaddies in so many states that are run by the frakin' fascists are outlawing the teaching, speaking and reading of this is not a coincidence, is it? And thus one speculates it's not a coincidence either that Scorsese landed on this as his latest film project?

I read David Grann (2017) Killers of the Flower Moon.  The contemporary photo insertions to illustrate the bool -- the film has re-created all those scenes exactly, but, of course, color and movement, instead of the flat b&w static milieu.  Amazing.

Grann has the knack.  His book, The Lost City of Z, was also a good film in 2016.  And his latest, just out last month, The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder, is also to be a film

Full Circle is an upcoming American television miniseries written by Ed Solomon and directed by Steven Soderbergh for Max.

Cast

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

I came here to post that trailer too.  These forces did a great deal of it, a very great deal of it, starting with their first step on land in this hemisphere, while also bringing with them enslavement of Africans. That those jerkwaddies in so many states that are run by the frakin' fascists are outlawing the teaching, speaking and reading of this is not a coincidence, is it?

Yeah, this would be, “in addition to all that.” This, like the Greenville massacre, is an example of people of color actually integrating themselves into the existing, staggeringly racist system and being incredibly successful at it. And for their troubles, they got annihilated. As bad as people thought it was it was actually much, much worse.

On a more personal note, I lived in Oklahoma for a few years. I never heard of Greenville until years later and Osage county is even more obscure. Except unlike Greenville, the federal government’s involvement is crystal clear.

I might be thinking of a different author.

ETA “integrating themselves into” isn’t the correct phrase. “Inspite of” or, “parallel to” would be closer. Nonetheless, they played by the rules and the powers-that-be reminded them how evil they can be.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?