Trailer Thread - Movember Noirvember

TheLastWolf

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I saw a talk once by (I think) the author of the book this is based on. Anyway, he was talking about what happened to the Osage county Native Americans and I literally had to turn it off. I was getting like, really, really angry hearing the story. What the US government, aligned with business interests, did to these people is beyond belief.

I might not actually watch this movie.

It is not just history, either, it still happens to the Native Americans today.

Consider the Resolution Mine conflict here in the Copper State.  I don't know what McCain was thinking with his land swap deal, as tearing up the Tonto National Forest is a bad idea even if it wouldn't destroy a thousand years of Apache history.  Drive anywhere around Globe, Miami, Superior and see the destruction wrought by mining, or the coal pits up in the Navajo Nation and Hopi lands.  I guess in the latter case, at least the Nation got something out the deal.

In Arizona, a struggle over a sacred site of the Apache tribe | PBS News Weekend

The Gallows Pole is an upcoming three-part television series made for the BBC by Element Pictures, Big Arty Productions, and A24. It is a Shane Meadows adaptation of the novel of the same name by Benjamin Myers. 

According to Meadows, the series is a prequel to Myers's novel.

The series tells the fictionalised story of David Hartley and the Cragg Vale Coiners at the onset of the industrial revolution in 18th century Yorkshire. Hartley (Socha) assembles a gang of weavers and land-workers to embark upon a revolutionary criminal enterprise that will capsize the economy and become the biggest fraud in British history.

34 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm not the target audience as a middle aged bachelor, but there's a strong chance I see this movie in theaters under the influence of psychadelics or a very strong indica, and I will probably love it.

I think you might be part of the target audience. And this movie looks like an acid trip. 

That looks fucking awesome, and again very much reminds me of the Brady Bunch movie. Self-referential mocking is totally my bag. 

Also fucking love Margot Robbie. 

Takeshi Kitano returning to samurai films 20 years after Zatoichi!, with Kubi. Just read a very interesting review of it, from Cannes, which reveals that it supposes that that the Honnō-ji Incident (which ended with Oda Nobunaga committing seppuku) was motivated by revenge connected to the death of a vassal's male lover, and Nobunaga's own sexual relationships with members of his entourage. Costume design is by Kazuko Kurosawa, Akira Kurosawa's daughter. Kitano himself plays Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who'd stabilize Japan after Nobunaga's death until his own death led to Tokugawa becoming shogun.

Agreed Barbie looks very fun...

Just read a thoroughly spoilery review of Killers of the Flower Moon, and it sounds like Scorsese's best in a long time.  Sounds like De Niro's best in a VERY long time.  Pretty pumped.