GoT never worked for me but this does.

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

We don't know when the prophecy was made, though. Maybe it was when Jahaerys was already king.

Nope, the prophecy triggered the marriage of Aerys and Rhaella at Jaehaerys' behest. It would have happened sometime in the 250s, possibly when Aerys and Rhaella were already teenagers since, apparently, both did have the notion they might be able to marry outside the family. Which would indicate that Jaehaerys II didn't receive the prophecy when his children were very young but somewhat later.

Another interesting thing we can draw from this thing is that the dwarf woman may have been as close or even closer to Jaehaerys II than she was to Jenny and Duncan. After all, she did make a prophecy to him, specifically, and he very much believed it.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Nope, the prophecy triggered the marriage of Aerys and Rhaella at Jaehaerys' behest. It would have happened sometime in the 250s, possibly when Aerys and Rhaella were already teenagers since, apparently, both did have the notion they might be able to marry outside the family. 

Right, I forgot that Rhaegar was born during the tragedy at Summerhall.

But still, I find this whole thing a bit strange; The wiki says that Rhaella was born between 245 and 247, so she was 14 at most when she gave birth to Rhaegar, and, I guess, around 13 when she married Aerys. And before that, she somehow had time for her romance with Bonifer Hasty, or whatever that was.

Am I missing something here?

27 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But still, I find this whole thing a bit strange; The wiki says that Rhaella was born between 245 and 247, so she was 14 at most when she gave birth to Rhaegar, and, I guess, around 13 when she married Aerys. And before that, she somehow had time for her romance with Bonifer Hasty, or whatever that was.

It's just GRRM being bad at math, as usual.

That's also why Viserys II went from being Aegon III's son to his brother, and even then had to become father at 13 to justify GRRM's timeline.

19 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

It's just GRRM being bad at math, as usual.

That's also why Viserys II went from being Aegon III's son to his brother, and even then had to become father at 13 to justify GRRM's timeline.

@Ran and Linda actually helped him out with that one. I don't know if they talked to him about the Rhaella stuff, though.

3 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Well, there was really no Bonifer Hasty romance. There was a man at a tourney or a couple of tourneys and a little princess who had admired him from afar. And, of course, there apparently was a creepy adult knight who most likely jerked of the mental image of a twelve-year-old Rhaella Targaryen like, you know, we can expect Sandor Clegane to do with Sansa.

As usual, George shot himself in the foot with the birth order there. If he really wants budding romance between the two, something that kind of justifies Bonifer's reaction after the announcement of the marriage - which was to swear to take no wife now that Princess Rhaella was no longer available -, then she should have been the elder sibling, 1-2 years older than Aerys. This wasn't a one-sided affair like Sansa's secret crush on Loras or Jeyne falling for Beric Dondarrion (or that servant girl from FaB who got obsessed over Viserys II because he apparently talked to her once in the hallway).

But then, of course, the only source for the birth order is the TWoIaF family tree which is full of errors and effectively preliminary and incomplete. So this could easily enough be changed. Especially since Jaehaerys II and Shaera seem to be rather old at the birth of Aerys II in 244 AC (he was born in 225 AC and married his sister Shaera, a year younger than he was, in 240 AC) George could easily make Rhaella a couple of years older than Aerys, which would make her an older teenager when she married her brother in the late 250s.

It is a pretty vexing tendency that most Targaryen women (or queens in general) are younger than their respective husbands. We have Rhaenys, Alysanne, Alyssa, Aemma, Alicent, Rhaenyra, Helaena, Jaehaera, Daenaera, Naerys, Daena, Betha, Shaera, Rhaella, and Cersei.

The rare exceptions are Visenya, Rhaena, Jocelyn Baratheon, Larra Rogare, Rhaena Targaryen as wife of Garmund Hightower, possibly Myriah Martell, and Elia Martell. That's it, unless I'm mistaken.

Often enough this birth order thing doesn't go all that well with the story.

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, there was really no Bonifer Hasty romance. There was a man at a tourney or a couple of tourneys and a little princess who had admired him from afar. And, of course, there apparently was a creepy adult knight who most likely jerked of the mental image of a twelve-year-old Rhaella Targaryen like, you know, we can expect Sandor Clegane to do with Sansa.

As usual, George shot himself in the foot with the birth order there. If he really wants budding romance between the two, something that kind of justifies Bonifer's reaction after the announcement of the marriage - which was to swear to take no wife now that Princess Rhaella was no longer available -, then she should have been the elder sibling, 1-2 years older than Aerys. This wasn't a one-sided affair like Sansa's secret crush on Loras or Jeyne falling for Beric Dondarrion (or that servant girl from FaB who got obsessed over Viserys II because he apparently talked to her once in the hallway).

But then, of course, the only source for the birth order is the TWoIaF family tree which is full of errors and effectively preliminary and incomplete. So this could easily enough be changed. Especially since Jaehaerys II and Shaera seem to be rather old at the birth of Aerys II in 244 AC (he was born in 225 AC and married his sister Shaera, a year younger than he was, in 240 AC) George could easily make Rhaella a couple of years older than Aerys, which would make her an older teenager when she married her brother in the late 250s.

It is a pretty vexing tendency that most Targaryen women (or queens in general) are younger than their respective husbands. We have Rhaenys, Alysanne, Alyssa, Aemma, Alicent, Rhaenyra, Helaena, Jaehaera, Daenaera, Naerys, Daena, Betha, Shaera, Rhaella, and Cersei.

The rare exceptions are Visenya, Rhaena, Jocelyn Baratheon, Larra Rogare, Rhaena Targaryen as wife of Garmund Hightower, possibly Myriah Martell, and Elia Martell. That's it, unless I'm mistaken.

Often enough this birth order thing doesn't go all that well with the story.

I'm surprised at George about that, especially since he's supposed to be so meticulous and criticizes that in other writers (ie Tolkien).

Archived