Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

Brazil just announced it's list:

Alisson (Liverpool) Ederson (Manchester City) Weverton (Palmeiras)

Daniel Alves (Pumas) Danilo (Juventus) Alex Telles (Sevilla) Alexsandro (Juventus)

Bremer (Juventus) Eder Militão (Real Madrid) Marquinhos (PSG) Thiago Silva (Chelsea)

Casemiro (Manchester United) Everton Ribeiro (Flamengo) Bruno Guimarães (Newcastle) Fabinho (Liverpool) Fred (Manchester United) Lucas Paquetá (West Ham)

Antony (Manchester United) Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal) Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal) Neymar (PSG) Pedro (Flamengo) Raphinha (Barcelona) Richarlison (Tottenham) Rodrygo (Real Madrid) Vinicius Júnior (Real Madrid)

Of course, the biggest stand out is 39 years old Daniel Alves, who in the last 3 years flopped at Barcelona, São Paulo and Pumas, is hated by the fans of the last two, and in the last two months hasn't played a single match, but was chosen out of "loyalty" and because he missed the last one because of injury. Reports in the Brazilian press indicate this was a point of contention between Tite and his assistants, who both went to watch him play in Mexico, and strongly recommended not to call him.

Similar "loyalty" player is Gabriel Jesus, who only scored once in the last 20 matches for Brazil, played 5 games without scoring in the last WC, the worst numbers of any Brazil number 9 ever, and is also in a goal drought in Arsenal.

Alex Telles is also somewhat surprising for anyone not following Brazil, but unfortunately Guilherme Arana, who was going to be Alexsandro's reserve, got injured by a criminal foul in a mostly meaningless game. Telles got the nod ahead of Renan Lodi, because the latter can't defend for shit and also ended missing a couple of call ups for refusing to vaccinate. I would like to see Caio Henrique from Monaco being tested there, but he wasn't.

The rest of list is mostly fine, but too many wingers and not enough midfielders, I think.

Jesus is quality though, especially if you've got enough goals from the wide forwards (he's got 5 assists), which Brazil do. He's a big reason Arsenal are top of the table :dunno:

I know he had that very damaging tournament with Brazil, but I think it's more than 'loyalty'

Just now, Raja said:

Jesus is quality though, especially if you've got enough goals from the wide forwards, which Brazil do. He's a big reason Arsenal are top of the table :dunno:

I know he had that very damaging tournament with Brazil, but I think it's more than 'loyalty'

I don't deny Jesus is playing well for Arsenal now, but I'm saying it wouldn't made a difference for him to be called. Daniel Alves is not playing at all but he's on the list.

Likewise, a year ago Vinicius Jr. was flying at Real Madrid and Phillipe Coutinho was a reserve at Barcelona, yet the former was called and latter not (though after a couple of players got injured and popular pressure was immense Tite called him). If Coutinho wasn't injured, it's almost certain he would have made the list, probably in Martinelli's place. Even helping Real Madrid to win the CL, it's very likely Vinicius Jr. will start the biggest games in the bench with Fred in his place. Which coach on Earth would make the same choice?

The issue with Tite is that, while he has many qualities as a coach, he's too conservative for the team he has (not unlike Southgate on that regard), and that he prioritizes his preferred tactics and what has worked in the past over current form. Some players that delivered for him in the start continued to do so, of course (like Alisson, Neymar, Casemiro, etc), but even the ones that stopped playing well for club and/or country remain being called almost forever, out of loyalty and/or fear of change.

Mind you, Brazil still has a big chance of winning- there's few squads in the same level, and many worst coaches in the WC.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Even helping Real Madrid to win the CL, it's very likely Vinicius Jr. will start the biggest games in the bench with Fred in his place. Which coach on Earth would make the same choice?

WTF. As if Fred and Vini play the same position. Fred will start because he's had a couple decent games alongside Casemiro for the NT (I'm no Brazil expert though), but this has nothing to do with Vini. If Vini doesn't start, it will be because he's in competition with Neymar for a spot, not Fred.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The issue with Tite is that, while he has many qualities as a coach, he's too conservative for the team he has (not unlike Southgate on that regard),

Just like Deschamps, and just like the Portugal NT coach. In fact, the conservatives coach might be the majority amongst the NT, probably because the federations won't pick adventurous ones, I guess?

1 minute ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

WTF. As if Fred and Vini play the same position. Fred will start because he's had a couple decent games alongside Casemiro for the NT (I'm no Brazil expert though), but this has nothing to do with Vini. If Vini doesn't start, it will be because he's in competition with Neymar for a spot, not Fred.

They don't play in the same position, but there's only one spot open- Paquetá and Neymar are guaranteed starters, and Tite prefers Raphinha in the right-wing (who has played well there, to be fair). The alternative is one that Tite already tested- playing Paquetá in center midfield alongside Casemiro rather than on the left-wing and put Vinicius Jr. there, but he's too conservative to play that way against the big teams, thought he might against Cameroon.

1 hour ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

That's like saying the reason Saka doesn't start much for England is he's in competition with Foden and Sterling and not Kyle Walker. Technically true, but if Southgate wasn't so conservative he'd find better ways to make use of England's embarrassment of attacking riches and not play 3-5-2 so often. 

I have zero experience in the field of football coaching. But in the unlikely event of Southgate dropping dead - along with every other suitable candidate to replace him - and me getting parachuted in to replace him, the first thing I would do is see if there are any English players currently playing in The Best Defence In The Premier League.

And I would take that guy to Qatar, whoever the fuck he was.

Ben White is thriving for Arsenal. Should he go to the World Cup?

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Agreed, Trippier, Pope and Burn should be in the squad.

It's difficult to argue with any of those names.

But in terms of versatility, none of those players are more flexible than White. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

20 fouls from Chelsea last week, Cucurella was on 4 fouls with no booking. This stuff happens every week.

I was watching, and found it sad to see that Saka was booked after Cucurella fouled him first without even a free kick. 

Was the third or so foul, so should have been a free kick and a Cucurella yellow - bad refereeing on that occasion.

Archived