Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

These are apparently going for around £240 per night.

Looks like a good way to sweat off ten to fifteen pounds over the course of the tournament.

The aroma coming out of a plastic tent by the end ought to be something special.

I know I’ll be disappointed in this but I would really like to see a widespread boycott of this WC by spectators.  Like the recent Winter Olympics in China, but more so.  If we want to reclaim these major international sporting events for fans (and I realize they were always props for politics) then we need to push back on the corruption and most egregious sports washing.

I’ve been in London all week and not one single person has mentioned the WC.  The rugby WC next year got mentioned.  I even had to check to see when games start because I’ve been ignoring it. 

There does seem to be a general lack of enthusiasm. I’m going to give it a miss. I imagine most people will probably watch a bit but the combination of obviously ridiculous corruption, human rights abuses and getting in the way of the Premier League season seems to be turning most people off.

I wouldn't mind one bit if 8 years ago they said: "World Cup is in Brazil, let's move it to a period when weather will be better for players, fans etc." It is the WORLD Cup, and should adapt to the world, not just northern hemisphere (let's be honest, mostly Europe). I have a problem with it being so openly bought and paid for, under false pretences ("we'll host it in the summer, AC in all the stadia blah blah blah. oh wait, you thought we were serious about that? no way, man! it would be gazillion degrees") by one of more despicable countries in the world when it comes to human rights record.

It is highly unlikely I would be able to avoid all of the World Cup but I definitely won't be planning my day around it. For example, I've planned a snowboarding trip in the middle of it, including traveling by car while my national team will be playing a group stage match.

I don't remember ever being this unenthusiastic about the World Cup. Hell, I'll watch Formula 1 on Sunday, not World Cup opening.

EDIT:
It's not that I'm boycotting it to make some sort of statement or anything like that. I just don't care about it enough to overlook all the inconvenience it caused.

I've decided long ago to boycott the thing.

Won't be too hard, as my immediate family is profoundly uninterested in football, and I myself find it impossible to muster any kind of enthusiasm for it. I have noticed, though, that my colleagues don't care much and will be watching, which I find a bit disappointing. I think that sending a message from supporters of football would be very important this time around.

Also, while I'm wishing for unicorns, I'd like to see FIFA removed and replaced.

Well the US finally qualified again, so I'm going to watch. Mostly will watch that group's games and maybe the likes of Germany-Spain. This is by far the shittiest time zone difference. Even Korea/Japan was better because it was essentially a day early. 

And there's crap like the above. I may watch when Qatar plays the Netherlands in the hopes of seeing a proper demolishing of a team has no business being at this tournament.

2 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I hope they bribe their way all the way to the title, so we can finally dismantle FIFA.

Edit: Mane ruled out for Qatar. He had to undergo surgery for his injury. Out for 3 months.

6 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

But I never seen less excitement for it, and the insanity that is hosting the tournament in Qatar is certainly a factor, though not the main one

Is the main reason that they didn't take Joelinton, so deep down they know its futile to dream? 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Re Ronaldo being a cunt, does anybody not want to see Argentina win the WC (after their team)? Just for the lols and how much it would piss of the slimy prick to be put in his place.  

I've supported Argentina the past 4 world cups but they always disappoint.

In 2014 I got caught wearing an Argentina shirt amongst a bunch of Brazilian fans. It wasn't pretty.

Archived