Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's arse. And you are wrong. This rule improved the game.

Again, I am not against the rule philosophically, just don't be so harsh with it. A few years back I watched Harry Kane running entirely parallel with a defender and he won the ball and scored a great goal only for it to be waved off because his foot was slightly offside when the entry pass was made. 

Where is the fun in that?

So many Qatari supporters leaving after half time kind of says it all. 

There was such a gulf in technical skill between the two sides though, Equador had a great touch and could just evade everything Qatar threw at them, whereas Qatar really didn’t have the ability to get past their man. 

On top of that, Qatar just couldn’t handle the physicality and explosiveness of Equador….

On 11/18/2022 at 6:30 PM, Consigliere said:

The fact that he reached out to that rancid cunt Piers Morgan to do this interview should tell you everything about his intentions

The poor quality of this interview is just staggering. Morgan didn't ask a single tough question and spent 90 minutes agreeing with everything Cronaldo said and clutching his pearls.

I don't follow him enough to say whether he's a rancid cunt or not, but on this occasion he's proven himself to be a poor journalist and interviewer.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, Tywin et al. said:

And look, I get it, CR has done himself no favors and deserves this public dragging, but at the same time from a leadership perspective if you have a valuable employee and things aren't working out, just let them go and figure out how financially you don't have to eat everything they're contractually owed. It's best for everyone. Sometimes a break up is what's needed and just do it as cleanly as possible.

The difference between this employee and average employee being that this employer paid another employer tens of millions of euros/pounds/dollars for this employees services over a period of 2 years, as well as 500k/week for this particular employee.

Like every other employee, he also has some contractual obligations, not only rights. 

Why would an employer agree to a simple contract termination when they are the ones who would lose money in that case? Cronaldo would have to give something up as well.

I've heard Neil Warnock say on some podcast that if Cronaldo's contract is terminated because of the breach of contract on his side, United would still get to keep his registration meaning he wouldn't be able to sign for anyone without United's approval. Now, that seems harsh but it would also make sense in some strange way.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:20 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

They've hosted sporting events before without the outcry. Doha Open in January is one of the season openers in Tennis. That's been around for thirty years. They hosted the Handball WC a few years ago etc. None of those drew that much scrutiny. I really think they underestimated the backlash/increased scrutiny attached to it, when they decided to buy/host the event.

And none of those events have 1% of worldwide popularity that the World Cup does. Also, Doha Open and Handball WC are hosted pretty much the same as similar events around the world, without as much disruption to the sport as this World Cup.

16 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

At least Welcome to Wrexham is a good watch.

Also, I checked, and currently Wrexham sits top of the league.

It blew my mind to see how many supporters there are in in the stands for 5-tier league matches. While I do understand it's very likely that Wrexham has had a surge in popularity because of this takeover, the other teams still have a pretty good attendance at matches.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not saying get rid of the rule, just apply it when it's so obvious. And don't let defenders be cynical and play to get the call rather than defend the player and the ball.

You either apply the rule or you don't. Maybe the rule needs further clarification or it needs to be defined better or something like that, but not applying the rule is never the answer.

9 minutes ago, baxus said:

It blew my mind to see how many supporters there are in in the stands for 5-tier league matches. While I do understand it's very likely that Wrexham has had a surge in popularity because of this takeover, the other teams still have a pretty good attendance at matches.

The extra money generated by the crowds is nice, but I think having tiktok and Expedia as sponsors when everyone else has Terry's hairdressers, and Dave's plumbing merchant is a bit unfair. 

27 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The extra money generated by the crowds is nice, but I think having tiktok and Expedia as sponsors when everyone else has Terry's hairdressers, and Dave's plumbing merchant is a bit unfair. 

Coming from a supporter of Saudi FC. The irony.

41 minutes ago, baxus said:

And none of those events have 1% of worldwide popularity that the World Cup does. Also, Doha Open and Handball WC are hosted pretty much the same as similar events around the world, without as much disruption to the sport as this World Cup.

Yeah, but those events had 0 critical reporting. And 100 x 0 = 0. I assumen that was their expectation here, too. Given the amount of critical reporting wrt to Russia 2018, and (I presume) Argentina 1978 (before my time, literally), I don't think that expectation was unreasonable. Brazil 2014 with that stadium in the Amazon did get some flak, but not enough.

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

This is a very scientific opinion but I played Wrexham on FM23 to see what their team was like and I recognised a lot of players from previous editions, players I'd been bringing in for teams in League One or even the Championship.

Ollie Palmer is a classic targetman, one of the best in the lower leagues, certainly better than Conference level. Paul Mullin is crazy good for that level as a striker, Anthony Forde I remember as a winger I would always try and get and McFadzean is a wingback who got me to the Prem in the past. I feel like their scouting system is based on who is good in Football Manager and just buy them.

Their squad is HUGE for that level though. They are top of the Conference now in real life so I guess something is working.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well, Wrexham did have ... was it Ifor Williams? as a sponsor. Was a bit of fun with it at the start.

Archived