Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

5 hours ago, baxus said:

Why would an employer agree to a simple contract termination when they are the ones who would lose money in that case? Cronaldo would have to give something up as well.

It's reasonable to ask for future monies back, but outside of that I', not really sure. And sometimes it's worth paying someone out to simply make them go away.

I've heard Neil Warnock say on some podcast that if Cronaldo's contract is terminated because of the breach of contract on his side, United would still get to keep his registration meaning he wouldn't be able to sign for anyone without United's approval. Now, that seems harsh but it would also make sense in some strange way.

It's harsh and unfair, but a lot of contracts work like this. I, for example, cannot quit my company and join an identical one that is the same space for I think like two years. It's total bullshit, but I don't plan on working in this field for much longer anyways. I might get fired soon too which will be fun as no one has shitcanned me before.

You either apply the rule or you don't. Maybe the rule needs further clarification or it needs to be defined better or something like that, but not applying the rule is never the answer.

Again, I'm not saying do away with the rule as that would be too unpopular, but can we not be so strict? You and I enjoy talking about basketball. Would the game be fun if the refs called everything specifically as written? No, of course not. So like I said before, if it's obvious and egregious, call it, but when you need to review if a player's foot is slightly ahead of another's you're taking all the fun and joy out of the sport.

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Football is so behind the times when it comes to head injuries.

Allowing that keeper to continue is a farce and so dangerous.

I saw the synopsis of a study a few years ago that concluded head injuries in international football are even more dangerous than American football, but because they happen less often the issue is allowed to slide. Some scenes seen on the pitch are quite scary.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Would be brilliant if the winning nation turned down the offer with a statement: We have standards.

As an American, this was my thought as well. The "prize" should be forcing the loser of the finals to take it.

Talk about incentive to win!

Meh, while I applaud the Iranian team's courage in their actions, I wouldnt be too harsh on the European teams and their backing down on the armband issue. The fault of course, lies entirely with FIFA and their inaction from September onwards until late last week, and their coddling of the host country (well, the reasons are numerous). Its a tough place for sportsmen to be in when politics interferes with their day job, and I'm sure the pressures are enormous As well as the fact that this is something they've been waiting for many years, with the threat of it being taken away (the potential censure could also include leaving the field of play, by the way(.

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Iranian team: refuse to sing their national anthem, in solidarity with protests back home, even though it stands a chance of seeing them arrested and worse when they return.

England team: oh no we might get a yellow card, no armbands for us!!!

There's been reports that it's not just yellow cards but also player bans and points deductions. And, tbf, it's not just the England team - all the teams that pledged to wear the one love armbands have since backed down.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

There's been reports that it's not just yellow cards but also player bans and points deductions. And, tbf, it's not just the England team - all the teams that pledged to wear the one love armbands have since backed down.

Yeah, but all those chickenshit teams should've stood up to FIFA on this one tbh. If FIFA went ahead with their threat, they'd turn this event into a total circus (even bigger one as is). The federations should've doubled down and threatened to withdraw from the tournament in return. FIFA would've folded like a pack of cards (to quote ETH). There's no way they'd risk England, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands leaving and the devaluation of their product. 

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

FIFA would've folded like a pack of cards (to quote ETH). There's no way they'd risk England, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands leaving and the devaluation of their product. 

If the major teams really stood up to FIFA they’d probably fold like a deck of cards, yes, that’s basically FIFA’s product walking out the door. If they actually had the guts to stand up to FIFA they’d have done it long before this though.

Finished watching the England game. Good start for them. All the attacking guys looked solid, with Saka and then Rashford as the highlights. But there are definite questions for the defense and Rice who played around with the ball a bit too much. There was some arrogance in the 2nd half because of the score.

OTOH, the ref was brain dead allowing the Iranian keeper to stay until he down again, not giving a clear penalty to England in the 1st half but then giving one to Iran for a similar infraction, just to reduce the deficit.

Archived