Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Tbf, while Saudi Arabia were very well organised defensively, Argentina did create enough chances to bag at least 2 goals. They were very wasteful in the attacking third today.

But also complacent in defense to allow those two goals.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But also complacent in defense to allow those two goals.

To be expected with Romero and Otamendi at CBs. Romero is no good outside a back three (and has been out injured so might not be fully match fit) and Otamendi has no pace.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

Why would United pay him to go away? What is their interest in backing down from a crybaby player throwing a tantrum?

Addition by subtraction is the idea here. If you believe in a positive work culture, you'd want to remove the negative element (as opposed to the much dumber approach Musk is taking with Twitter, for example, which is to remove people as a show of power).

I don't know about US labour laws, but in Eurocommie parts of the world, the company would not be able to restrict who you work for afterwards just like that. You would need to let them know you have been given an offer to work in the same space and they would still have to pay you a compensation if they didn't want you to accept the job. Once your contract is up, they have no hold over you. Of course, you wouldn't be allowed to just take the trade secrets with you and share them with the competitor.

Sadly it's a common practice here. Just as a funny example, I could not leave my job a few years ago and join their main competitor, but now the companies have merged (and yes, hospitals are companies at the end of the day) and a number of people have transferred over because they like the other side more. 

You can't have "shades of offside". It's either an offside or it's not. Sure, it's stupid to call offside after a situation that you can't catch without a 5 minute VAR analysis and seeing it from dozens of angles. The VAR rulings need to be further clarified and the whole "flow" must be improved but it will still come down to "is it offside or not?"

Football already has too much "wiggle room" it doesn't need more.

Again, we both like basketball. Traveling happens all the time. I only care if they call it when it's clear and obvious. 

I'm good with them taking away the goal for Tunisia a moment ago because you can see quickly on review that the player was offside, but I will always hate when a ref needs to squint at it to tell.

Sports should be about having fun at the end of the day and not a technocrats wet dream of enforcing the rules to annoying exact letter of the law.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

2025 + option for another year, no?

It's a one year extension with the option for a further year according to Ornstein, Pol Ballus and Sam Lee's article in The Athletic.

The deal will be structured as an initial one-year deal, with both club and manager holding an option for a further season. That means either party could choose to end it sooner if they wanted. The structure is the same as the contract he signed in November 2020.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Addition by subtraction is the idea here. If you believe in a positive work culture, you'd want to remove the negative element (as opposed to the much dumber approach Musk is taking with Twitter, for example, which is to remove people as a show of power).

How exactly would they maintain/establish positive work culture if they let this slide? What would stop every single player from throwing a tantrum likes this to have their contract terminated when they want to leave? How would they ever sell anyone? 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, we both like basketball. Traveling happens all the time. I only care if they call it when it's clear and obvious. 

That's what is done extremely well in ice hockey - IIHF keep close track on boxscores, refs' reports, players' injuries etc. and they analyse that data and release rule clarifications every year, with new version of the rules being released every four years, after the season in which Olympics are held. They keep track constantly and react when needed.

Btw, travelling is tolerated only in the NBA, not in Europe. ;) 

Well, in this case both CR7 and United want this cooperation to end. 

Problem for United they couldn't find a sucker to take him and his wages. And CR has an inflated sense of his current ability and thinks the top clubs are lining up to sign him (spoiler they are not). So if United could reach an agreement to pay off 30% of his wages for the termination of his contract, they'd save a rather big chunk of money and Ronaldo can go whereever he wants to go. He would still be a dominant player in a lesser league (A-league, or MLS, or J-League), for a lesser wage obviously.

Archived