Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

I don't drink beer at football anyway (not served in Norway, and frankly, what I've seen in other countries isn't exactely good beer). 

So I don't care about the beer ban. I do care about the corruption and the migrant workers and the general drawing-football-through-the-muck thing going on.

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's like Fyre Fest but at a scale and in heat that's gonna kill (even more) people.

I mean, I'm giving this one a miss, I'm definitely not arguing that this WC and the Brazil one are on an equal level.

I just don't care about the beer thing. 

Yeah those are the photos I'd seen as well. And yeah, I'm not personally bothered by the beer thing either other than it adding to my confusion on what the hell they're wanting to get out of this

2 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

And I'm not sure who we should have as God-Emperor - for now I see a three-way fight between you, Horse and BFC.

BFC can be Chief of Police of my new nation state. Horse on the other hand, some Indiana Jones type figure will find his mummified body a thousand years from now.

19 minutes ago, karaddin said:

my confusion on what the hell they're wanting to get out of this

If I had to take a wild guess, I think they were hoping for sportwashing, but as the tournament's got closer and it's become clear that isn't really happening, they've gone well fuck you then.

4 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

And I'm not sure who we should have as God-Emperor - for now I see a three-way fight between you, Horse and BFC.

I'd keep BFC to keep the peasents in line. As tywin, alas, I guess I'll keep him around as high priest.* There's a tool for every task, and there's a task every tool. 

*Fancy title for a mere stable hand. Somebody has to clean the holy stables afterall. If he behaves, I'll even let him use tools for that task. (I'm a too kind for my own good).

24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Oh, and Benzema has problems with his thigh. I know you all shed heavy tears for him. He might be out for the event, too.

It's funny because I was thinking France might break the champion's curse given their group and also how much power they were bringing in the attack + a solid defense.

6 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

in positive footie chat i watched the tv series 'welcome to wrexham' detailing rob mcelhenney and ryan reynolds buying and trying to rejuvenate wrexham football club. parts of it are cheesy goofy hollywood stuff but i was really moved by the chats w locals, supporters and players. 

I'm 2 episodes from the end.  After years under Ashley it's nice to see people running a club that have no connection but so much affection. 

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Newcastle fans have a baaaad history with horses. This could go very wrong. 

Horse made me high priest. That sounds like the single worst position you could give me, inviting corruption and evil.

He did it, not me, ain't my fault. 

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

The thing I find most confusing about it is... Why the fuck did Qatar want to host this?

It feels a bit like Elon Musk buying Twitter - people with too much money spend a fortune on buying something and then have no idea what to do with it when they get it.

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

The thing I find most confusing about it is... Why the fuck did Qatar want to host this? I assumed they were looking to put a smilie football face over their various "PR" issues, but a bunch of different things all in the last week make it look like spitting on the west is much more their intent than winning hearts and minds. The photos from the fan camp/village I saw tonight look like they're going to be killing people with heat stroke and dehydration.

Personally I think there are multiple legitimate reasons to be more bothered by this than if Brazil had banned beer, one of which is as simple as Football is huge in Brazil and the country would be one of the top associations with the world cup.

My guess is that they didn't expect the backlash to be as big. And while getting visibility is part of Qatar's strategy to avoid get swallowed by Saudi Arabia if it comes to it, I doubt they expected so much focus on the country's dark side.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's funny because I was thinking France might break the champion's curse given their group and also how much power they were bringing in the attack + a solid defense.

They still have quality players on the fringes, who didn't make it to the roster (M. Thuram, Diaby in the Bundesliga come to mind), and their attacking options on the team are also still very good. Mbappe, Griezmann, Giroud are not exactly poor players either. They have a ridiculously deep talent pool atm.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Horse made me high priest. That sounds like the single worst position you could give me, inviting corruption and evil.

He did it, not me, ain't my fault. 

You are aware, that in case of a poor harvest, when the discontent get beyond the point where BFC could beat them down, I need a plan B. Plan B involves humon sacrifice to appease the gods. Also, it's good to have a scapegoat to take the blame for the misrule. You are the deep state that prevents me (and everyone else, but mostly me) from being awesome. 

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

It feels a bit like Elon Musk buying Twitter - people with too much money spend a fortune on buying something and then have no idea what to do with it when they get it.

They've hosted sporting events before without the outcry. Doha Open in January is one of the season openers in Tennis. That's been around for thirty years. They hosted the Handball WC a few years ago etc. None of those drew that much scrutiny. I really think they underestimated the backlash/increased scrutiny attached to it, when they decided to buy/host the event.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

BFC can be Chief of Police of my new nation state. Horse on the other hand, some Indiana Jones type figure will find his mummified body a thousand years from now.

can i be deputy chief, you get almost the same money, but nobody calls for you to be sacked when one of your officers fucks up. 

Is there going to be a separate WC forum like there is for the Olympics?  Anyway, i'm hoping Qatar get humped about 5-0 today. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly what's astonishing are Infantino's comments. What fucking world is he living in?

A world in which the rich and powerful regularly get away with all sorts of heinous shit with little to no consequences.

This current outcry will die down soon enough and be completely forgotten when the domestic leagues start up again (so before the end of December).

Infantino will likely continue to be elected FIFA president for the next 15-20 years.

9 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You are aware, that in case of a poor harvest, when the discontent get beyond the point where BFC could beat them down, I need a plan B. Plan B involves humon sacrifice to appease the gods. Also, it's good to have a scapegoat to take the blame for the misrule. You are the deep state that prevents me (and everyone else, but mostly me) from being awesome.

I'll figure it out. Sometimes a Horse King slips and falls. The kingdom needs more glue everyday, after all.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

can i be deputy chief, you get almost the same money, but nobody calls for you to be sacked when one of your officers fucks up. 

Do as you please so long as you're loyal to your high priest. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

A world in which the rich and powerful regularly get away with all sorts of heinous shit with little to no consequences.

This current outcry will die down soon enough and be completely forgotten when the domestic leagues start up again (so before the end of December).

Infantino will likely continue to be elected FIFA president for the next 15-20 years.

Idk about that. Seems everyone can see that either the Qataris made him say that or he did it on his on, either way there's no ability to ever undo that calamity. It's literally one of the worst PR statements ever given regardless of the person or what they're commenting on. 

Archived