Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

54 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Better to be up 1-0 than not of course, but I've seen USMNT do this in the past and then retreat into a shell in the second half, ultimately resulting in the inevitable counter-goal (IIRC they were up against Portugal in Brazil only for Ronaldo to equalize in the dying moments)

You called it correctly.

Just watched the US - Wales game. I would say it's been the most intense match so far, but I may be biased. Strong 1st half for the US, but as pointed upthread they turned into classic USA in the 2nd half. sigh 

Qatar has presented a trash team, and now they presented a trash referee. At least his poor decisions were balanced between both teams.

England will win the group, goal difference will likely be the separation factor for the runner up.

I only caught the second half of USA vs Wales, so I missed the bit where the US were good. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, Wales really do stir emotions with that underdog vibe, just the way they play showed so much energy and will and determination.

What they don't have is very much final 3rd skill though. Even with the US sitting back Wales really struggled to progress the ball, and though I'm happy to see them get a point it doesn't feel like they have the ability to create really good goal scoring chances. 

23 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but those events had 0 critical reporting.

FIFA World Cup is THE sporting event in the world. Summer Olympics are the only event that can even compare. The spotlight is on now, as it hasn't been for a simple ATP 250 tournament or a WC in a sport that would love having 3% of worldwide popularity of football.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's reasonable to ask for future monies back, but outside of that I', not really sure. And sometimes it's worth paying someone out to simply make them go away.

Why would United pay him to go away? What is their interest in backing down from a crybaby player throwing a tantrum?

It's harsh and unfair, but a lot of contracts work like this. I, for example, cannot quit my company and join an identical one that is the same space for I think like two years. It's total bullshit, but I don't plan on working in this field for much longer anyways. I might get fired soon too which will be fun as no one has shitcanned me before.

I don't know about US labour laws, but in Eurocommie parts of the world, the company would not be able to restrict who you work for afterwards just like that. You would need to let them know you have been given an offer to work in the same space and they would still have to pay you a compensation if they didn't want you to accept the job. Once your contract is up, they have no hold over you. Of course, you wouldn't be allowed to just take the trade secrets with you and share them with the competitor.

Again, I'm not saying do away with the rule as that would be too unpopular, but can we not be so strict? You and I enjoy talking about basketball. Would the game be fun if the refs called everything specifically as written? No, of course not. So like I said before, if it's obvious and egregious, call it, but when you need to review if a player's foot is slightly ahead of another's you're taking all the fun and joy out of the sport.

You can't have "shades of offside". It's either an offside or it's not. Sure, it's stupid to call offside after a situation that you can't catch without a 5 minute VAR analysis and seeing it from dozens of angles. The VAR rulings need to be further clarified and the whole "flow" must be improved but it will still come down to "is it offside or not?"

Football already has too much "wiggle room" it doesn't need more.

17 hours ago, Consigliere said:

They backed down because it was nothing more than virtue signalling in the first place are a bunch of bitches.

There, I fixed it.

Archived