Arya, the Darkheart

Quinn Howard talks about Arya's dark future in this video from youtube.  Quinn was kinder to Arya than I would have been.  Please watch the video and we can discuss Arya's future. 

Arya's first murders were committed for the purpose of self-preservation.  Later murders cannot be excused nor forgiven.  The murders of Dareon and the Old Insurance man were two of the most heinous crimes committed in all of the story.  Arya, like Jon, is fickle about justice.  There was no justice for Dareon.  Dareon was a victim of injustice from the very beginning and was sent to the wall at the whim of his lord.  The supposed unethical business practices of the Old Man had not and has not been established.  Arya killed him because the crime is her key to get into the school of murderers.  Church is a better description for the House of Black & White.  Cult is much better.  A cult of crackpots and evildoers who sacrifice people to the god of many faces. 

Catelyn is now Stoneheart.  A walking zombie without mercy or pity.  Jon will come back as the Coldheart, another zombie who will show no pity and no mercy to those who will stand between he and Arya.  Arya is Darkheart, which is a subtle difference.  Darkheart is worse.  Arya will show no mercy but dark also means evil.  Arya is insane to be sure.  But being insane does not mean she is without guilt. 

The Ghost of High Heart associates the tragic past of Summerhall to present day Arya Stark.  Wildfire was involved at Summerhall.  The woman saw an accurate vision of Arya's dark future.  Arya has a lot of blood on her hands.  She will soon be covered in many layers of blood.  Arya will commit a mass murder which will result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people.  I have seen posted predictions of her methodology of choice.  I do not think Arya will employ poison.  She is too small to attack a crowd directly.  Arya will use Wildfire to commit mass murder.  It is impossible for Arya to ever be normal again.  The future for her is very, very dark.  And she will become the darkest, most evil, of the main characters. 

No it's quite clearly a character arc concerning justice in which she learns how her murders were wrong and were not justice and grows and becomes better.

You people get such a hate on for characters that you go and make wild amounts of content about it when I can't even imagine you believe it yourselves, it's quite bewildering. I don't know, maybe this YouTuber makes money through the clicks but for the rest of you, what do for?

Arya is one of the more frightening people in song of ice and fire.  She is literally as volatile as wildfire.  She has the murderous skills of the faceless men, the fierceness and vengefulness of the wolf's blood, and top that with mental instability.  The faceless men will never be able to control her.  She will moonlight and murder more people.  Arya answers to nobody but herself and that is another danger.  She has lost her morality.  

8 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

No it's quite clearly a character arc concerning justice in which she learns how her murders were wrong and were not justice and grows and becomes better.

I agree. Arya will realise that what she did is wrong.

Deep down I think she may already know that. Her dismissal of Dareon over and over again as being a traitor to the Watch seems like an attempt to deny that killing him was wrong.

9 hours ago, Kierria said:

Arya is one of the more frightening people in song of ice and fire.  She is literally as volatile as wildfire.  She has the murderous skills of the faceless men, the fierceness and vengefulness of the wolf's blood, and top that with mental instability.  The faceless men will never be able to control her.  She will moonlight and murder more people.  Arya answers to nobody but herself and that is another danger.  She has lost her morality.  

The comparison to wildfire is accurate.  Add Arya's short fuse and bad temperament.  Traits which she shares with Jon Snow.  The techniques she learned from the FM give her the means to murder.  She now has the means and the motive to murder a lot of people with ease.    

14 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

That is incredibly unlikely. Did Arya go on a mad killing spree when she saw her father get beheaded? No.

Poor excuse.  She was powerless at that moment.  She is a seasoned killer now.  Her mind has snapped and she has killed plenty of people.  Harming and murdering people no longer bother Arya.  

18 minutes ago, Rondo said:

Her mind has snapped and she has killed plenty of people. 

Poor excuse. It goes against the very text. It is a fact that Arya's mind has not snapped. She is not insane. She does not meet the criteria. This is a matter of fact. Your dislike of the character has no bearing on it.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Poor excuse. It goes against the very text. It is a fact that Arya's mind has not snapped. She is not insane. She does not meet the criteria. This is a matter of fact. Your dislike of the character has no bearing on it.

Another desperate attempt to defend Arya.  The text depicts Arya is a mentally and emotionally damaged vigilante who has no idea of what justice even is.  

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/159610-aryas-mental-illness/#comment-8722853

Edited by Rondo

1 minute ago, Rondo said:

Another desperate attempt to defend Arya

It's not a desperate attempt. It is a medical fact that Arya does not meet the requirements for being insane.

2 minutes ago, Rondo said:

The text depicts Arya is a mentally and emotionally damaged vigilante who has no idea of what justice even is.  

That's not the same as her being insane, which is what you claimed before. Please remain consistent with your bias, at the very least.

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It's not a desperate attempt. It is a medical fact that Arya does not meet the requirements for being insane.

That's not the same as her being insane, which is what you claimed before. Please remain consistent with your bias, at the very least.

Arya is insane.  Yes, Arya is mentally and emotionally damaged.  She suffers from mental illness.

Arya is insane.

No she is not. It is a fact that she is not. There are criteria you have to meet to be insane. Arya does not meet them.

Yes, Arya is mentally and emotionally damaged.  She suffers from mental illness.

That is not the same as her being insane.

15 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

You people get such a hate on for characters that you go and make wild amounts of content about it when I can't even imagine you believe it yourselves, it's quite bewildering. I don't know, maybe this YouTuber makes money through the clicks but for the rest of you, what do for?

Arya’s crimes are not shoplifting and spraying obscene graffiti. It’s not training wheels for something better. Those acts will not turn her into a better person.  Arya kills people. Not once but many times. Her arc is slowly moving towards more murders. 

GRRM may be using the POV of Arya to suggest how she has gradually 'separated' from herself since Eddard's death, but I'm not sure whether this is insanity so much as a coping mechanism. The various names she adopts, while keeping 'Arya' at her heart. Her becoming 'no-one'. They are signs of trauma rather than mental illness.

And I think she even invents characters in a way. The little girl they name 'Weasel' who cries all the time and eventually runs off, her fate unknown:

The man with the torch searched around under the trees. "Are you the last? Baker boy said there was a girl."
"She ran off when she heard you coming," Lommy said. "You made a lot of noise." And Arya thought, Run, Weasel, run as far as you can, run and hide and never come back.

This is the beginning of Arya becoming a somewhat unreliable POV I feel, made more complex by her latent warging abilities which may enable her to experience events in a kind of 'out-of-body' sense. It's as though Arya is 'sending away' the part of her that is a crying little girl.