Arya, the Darkheart

23 hours ago, Roswell said:

Jaquen got caught in King's Landing while looking for the cache of wildfire.

Evidence?

He was imprisoned before he could share the knowledge.  But what if he later shares that knowledge with his student, Arya Stark. 

She isn't his student though. She is a student of the same guild or whatever you want to call it that he is. There is zero chance that Jaqan gets info on a mission from the HoB&W & decides he should share it with Arya anyway. 

Arya would know where the jars are stored and she can very easily burn down the city.  Arya is angry enough to kill that many people. 

Oh? 

To all participants, I am grateful for your comments.  Just please keep the discussion and disagreement civil.

With that out of the way, let's talk. 

On 12/2/2022 at 4:56 AM, Craving Peaches said:

The Book Itself strongly suggests otherwise.

The books suggests Arya is getting worse.  What the old woman saw strongly suggests Arya will murder a lot of people.  The book does not suggests Arya will get well.  The book does not suggests Arya will stop murdering. 

Edited by H Wadsworth Longfellow

8 hours ago, H Wadsworth Longfellow said:

The books suggests Arya is getting worse.  What the old woman saw strongly suggests Arya will murder a lot of people.  The book does not suggests Arya will get well.  The book does not suggests Arya will stop murdering. 

The book does not suggest Arya will happily murder the whole of King's Landing. Sorry.

8 hours ago, H Wadsworth Longfellow said:

To all participants, I am grateful for your comments.  Just please keep the discussion and disagreement civil.

With that out of the way, let's talk. 

I assume you are referring to the Ghost of High Heart, who referred to Arya having a dark heart.  She also mentioned gorging on grief, which Arya certainly has.  

Her killings have mostly been necessary for her own well-being, and none were innocent bystanders.  Even Dareon had hurt people she cared about, and committed a capital offense in the process.  His arrogant and hedonistic attitude didn't help.  The insurance broker was on orders.  She was led to believe he was a fraudster and feared the consequences of not going along.

The book suggests that Arya's actions are largely the result of the environment she's been in lately.  When she is in a normal, safe, caring environment she does pretty well.  Unfortunately, right now, she's not.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, Craving Peaches said:

But they were not entirely of her own free will. She makes those choices after being reconditioned by a murder cult for a few months. She is ordered to kill the insurance man. And this all occurs after she is removed from her family and home, thrust into an unfamiliar environment, and desperate for somewhere to belong.

Arya's plight is the same as that of many children.  Orphaned by war.  Displaced by conflict.  Most do not turn to murdering.  She was not taken by force to the House of Black & White.  She made the decision to do that on her own because she wants to kill the rivals of House Stark.  Stabbing Dareon to death was her own idea.  Arya is guilty of multiple murders and needs to be treated like a serial killer. 

4 hours ago, The Gizzard of Oz said:

She made the decision to do that on her own because she wants to kill the rivals of House Stark.

No, she made the decision to go because she wanted something to try and make up for the loss of her family, and because she wanted to protect herself.

4 hours ago, The Gizzard of Oz said:

Arya is guilty of multiple murders and needs to be treated like a serial killer. 

There are numerous reasons why this is not the case, all of which you can read, as they have already been posted.

Her giving names to Jaqen indeed shows how darkened her heart is. A real Stark would’ve followed the Old Way. Thankfully she proves herself to be capable of being a true Stark by the execution of the deserting rapist Dareon so there’s yet hope for this poor child.

Edited by Corvo the Crow

54 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Unfortunately not because she doesn't look him in the eyes or hear his last words.

Still an improvement over paid assassination organizations. It's not doing much good she's a part of the said organization herself but at least she does this out of her own agenda.

11 hours ago, The Gizzard of Oz said:

Arya's plight is the same as that of many children.  Orphaned by war.  Displaced by conflict.  Most do not turn to murdering.  She was not taken by force to the House of Black & White.  She made the decision to do that on her own because she wants to kill the rivals of House Stark.  Stabbing Dareon to death was her own idea.  Arya is guilty of multiple murders and needs to be treated like a serial killer. 

I would be hard pressed to find a child that has much in common with Arya's plight. Most do not turn to murdering but most also did not have to witness their father be beheaded, did not have to endure traveling in wartime, being kidnapped, finding out her brother & mother were brutally murdered etc. 

She made the decision to go to the HoB&W because she had no where else to go. This was the only potentially safe place offered to her. She stays of her own accord. She killed Dareon on her own definitely but what are the "multiple murders" she is guilty of? That's the only one that can be laid at her feet alone & it is still not without reason. I'm not saying it was a good idea but in a series filled with murderous, twisted, inhumane, acts you believe it is Arya, the little girl just trying to survive, that should be treated like a serial killer? I'd maybe jump on board with her needing intense therapy, but a serial killer? Come now. Not yet anyway. 

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Her giving names to Jaqen indeed shows how darkened her heart is. A real Stark would’ve followed the Old Way. Thankfully she proves herself to be capable of being a true Stark by the execution of the deserting rapist Dareon so there’s yet hope for this poor child.

Why &/or how does this show how dark her heart is? She is a little girl. If she was physically capable of following the "Old Way" she probably wouldn't have ended up in the position she was in to begin with. I don't understand how using Jaqen's repayment to help her escape makes her dark or means she isn't capable of being a Stark? 

At any rate I hope for her own sake she does things differently than a "true" Stark as it hasn't turned out very well for the rest of them. 

Edited by Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Just now, Lyanna&lt;3Rhaegar said:

Why &/or how does this show how dark her heart is? She is a little girl. If she could was physically capable of following the "Old Way" she probably wouldn't have ended up in the position she was in to begin with. I don't understand how using Jaqen's repayment to help her escape makes her dark or means she isn't capable of being a Stark? 

At any rate I hope for her own sake she does things differently than a "true" Stark as it hasn't turned out very well for the rest of them. 

I agree. I'm just trolling.

37 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

When is the 'Daenerys, the Darkheart' thread coming? I'm waiting to hear all about how Daenerys bathes in the blood of virgins 

Thankfully, she hasn't yet acquired that taste

37 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

and feeds children to her dragons.

1. Unfortunately, can't say the same for this. By the time she comes to Westeros those dragons would have acquired an insatiable taste for human flesh and she'll feed them with the richest meat, lords and ladies of westeros.

29 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Unfortunately, can't say the same for this. By the time she comes to Westeros those dragons would have acquired an insatiable taste for human flesh and she'll feed them with the richest meat, lords and ladies of westeros.

Studies have shown the taste of human flesh is addictive. Drogon is already hooked. Now that Rhaegal and Viserion are loose it's only a matter of time.

5 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Studies have shown the taste of human flesh is addictive. Drogon is already hooked. Now that Rhaegal and Viserion are loose it's only a matter of time.

I wonder if Lord flesh tastes better to a dragon than commoner flesh, or is Dornish flesh hot with all the spices they consume. Do dragons have a prefference?

Just now, Corvo the Crow said:

I wonder if Lord flesh tastes better to a dragon than commoner flesh, or is Dornish flesh hot with all the spices they consume. Do dragons have a prefference?

Given the Nobles probably aren't starving and have a better diet I'd imagine the Dragons would have a preference for them. Dragons would probably like spicy food.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

When is the 'Daenerys, the Darkheart' thread coming? I'm waiting to hear all about how Daenerys bathes in the blood of virgins and feeds children to her dragons.

Oh there have been plenty of them. If you start one, people will chime right in.