US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

So the Democrat wins governor in Pennsylvania but Oz might win the senate. Aren't the voters for both exactly the same? Who is ticking D for Gov and R for Senate? Or were some R's ticking Shapiro because they thought they were voting for Ben?

22 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So the Democrat wins governor in Pennsylvania but Oz might win the senate. Aren't the voters for both exactly the same? Who is ticking D for Gov and R for Senate? Or were some R's ticking Shapiro because they thought they were voting for Ben?

Voters sometimes split the ticket, especially for governors (which in general are more moderate races and have to do with the person) and senate. In fettermans case I think a lot of people knew who Oz was and were concerned about his post stroke behavior.

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You think I need to get a Florida is awful and DMC lives there joke in? 

You do! Because there's a very real chance that if dems ran less shitty and more impressive candidates at the top of the ticket in Florida they could have kept the house and expanded the senate, which would be an amazing result.

But Florida had to suck, and that's all dmc.

Not me grinning like an idiot watching Fetterman’s victory speech.

I think Warnock carries a run off vote. 

Amazing night, imo. Glad for all y’all.

As we wait on Arizona and Nevada, I think there are two important takeaways from tonight (well, three, but the third is simply DeSantis bought Florida).  First, the idea that ticket-splitting isn't a thing with extreme polarization is completely contradicted by the results.  Candidate quality still matters, and we saw this difference in virtually every swing state with both a Senate and gubernatorial race to some extent - Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, even Ohio, and of course New Hampshire.  You can throw Oregon in there too.

Second, 538 are currently patting themselves on the back saying the polls and their forecast worked, but that's really not the case.  Importantly, the polls - or at least final polling average - significantly underestimated Dems in many key races.  And particularly "lean" races.  Highlighted by New Hampshire, Colorado, and Washington, the victories are far greater than 538's polling average anticipated.  In terms of actual tossups, they were significantly off in Pennsylvania and even slightly underestimated the Dems in Wisconsin - in addition to being about 3 points off underestimating Evers in the gubernatorial race.

Moreover their "forecast" was clearly off.  They had Budd (82) having a better chance of winning than Hassan (72), when the latter won by twice the margin.  They had Oz with a 57% chance and Walker with a 63% chance.  They had Johnson with an 81% chance - which hasn't been called yet - compared to Bennett with a 91% chance, who was called the winner instantly and is currently leading by 12.

This demonstration isn't to shit on 538 (well, not too much), but to emphasize both the "experts" and the polls underestimated Dem performance.  Which highlights that the error of polling and conventional wisdom can still go both ways.  

Archived