US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

Alas, finally some good news for Republicans.  Laxalt just overtook Cortez Masto in Nevada with 74% reporting.  Laxalt is also overperforming Trump in 2020 in both Clark and Washoe counties.  Moreover, there's been nothing reported at all in Lyon and Douglas counties - both red counties that Trump won by ~ ten thousand votes.  Sisolak is running even worse in the gubernatorial race. 

So, I'd say it's at least very likely the GOP takes Nevada.  Arizona's still lagging on reporting, but right now the most likely outcome is control of the Senate will come down to a Georgia runoff..again.

So right after I posted that Arizona did drop an update to get it up to 66% expected vote.  Kelly looks has a commanding lead and is outrunning Biden in virtually every county.  He's actually winning Pinal county at 47% reporting 51/46 when Trump ended up winning it 58/41.  He's looking good in Maricopa and even better in Pima - both of which have more outstanding votes than the smaller red counties.  

Meanwhile the gubernatorial race looks like a true tossup, which, ugh with that psycho.

Should be noted abortion initiatives were also a victory tonight - California, Michigan and Vermont enshrined abortion rights in their state constitutions (not too surprising).  But also a ballot measure to take away the constitutional right to abortion failed in Kentucky.  A similar odious measure in Montana looks almost certain to fail as well.

20 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Adding up the population of all the demographics that are majority D only comes out to less than half of the population of demographics that are majority R. No wonder there is so much concern about white replacement.

In very tight races where D wins, could the COVID-19 death rate differential be a factor?

19 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Any news about the Secretaries of State races?

Cisco Aguilar (D) is within ten thousand votes or about 1 percent to Jim Marchant in Nevada.  He's considerably closer than Sisolak and even Cortez Masto.  Adrian Fontes (D) is running about on par with Kelly in Arizona - exactly 6 points ahead and ~ 100 thousand vote lead.  In Michigan the Dem kicked shit out of the crazy, outperforming Whitmer.  In Wisconsin the Republican has about a 1300 vote lead (0.1%) with 93% reporting, but..Evers won anyway.

1 minute ago, cock_merchant said:

Libertarians really F'd us Republicans in Georgia and Pensslyvenia!

Libertarians didn't do anything to you in PA.  Fetterman will win with over 50 percent.

Self-interest alert, but Ralston thinks Cortez Masto still has a shot with outstanding mail ballots breaking for her 2 to 1.  Should be noted that's not how the late mail ballots broke down in 2020, at all.

I think the batshit wing of the Republican Party being much larger and more prominent than it should be f'd the Republican party. A moderately rational Republican party should have had an easy ride to a small Senate and large House majority this election.

1 hour ago, cock_merchant said:

Big L for MAGA, hopefully not an overall L for Republicans. Need to exorcise election deniers from the party. Candidate quality matters. 

I'm anything but sympathetic to Republicans, but your party has been taken over by literal snake oil salesmen. I can't think of a prominent Republican who isn't in national politics primarily for their own selfish, usually financial, benefit. Election denial is, for most of them, an important part of the grift. 

In other words, I'm not sure who is going to exorcise these people from the party. They're in firm control. Trump is the avatar of this wing of the party, and certainly not interested in doing that. De Santis is no better. 

I'm genuinely interested - who do you think can fix this?

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'm anything but sympathetic to Republicans, but your party has been taken over by literal snake oil salesmen. I can't think of a prominent Republican who isn't in national politics primarily for their own selfish, usually financial, benefit. Election denial is, for most of them, an important part of the grift. 

In other words, I'm not sure who is going to exorcise these people from the party. They're in firm control. Trump is the avatar of this wing of the party, and certainly not interested in doing that. De Santis is no better. 

I'm genuinely interested - who do you think can fix this?

Trump is officially a loser and failure. An Autopsy will show this. If he isn't removed, then the party will continue to fail and lose the younger generation.  

Desantis has turned Florida from a purple state to a red state. He is the future and has generally stayed away from the big lie.

2 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

Desantis has turned Florida from a purple state to a red state. He is the future and has generally stayed away from the big lie.

DeSantis is certainly more competent and controlled than Trump, but I find it very amusing that the GOP (or at least a lot of the GOP) is going to hang their hopes on him based on the results last night/this morning.  He's not going to have ANY financial advantage in a presidential contest, let alone an 11 to 1 one.  And Nancy Sinatra-boots is not going to play well in a lot of the country - particularly the midwest.  He may be a better option than Trump, but there's a significant possibility he's not.  There's also still the possibility he flails in the primaries and someone else emerges as the GOP nominee.

Archived