US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

DeSantis is certainly more competent and controlled than Trump, but I find it very amusing that the GOP (or at least a lot of the GOP) is going to hang their hopes on him based on the results last night/this morning.  He's not going to have ANY financial advantage in a presidential contest, let alone an 11 to 1 one.  And Nancy Sinatra-boots is not going to play well in a lot of the country - particularly the midwest.  He may be a better option than Trump, but there's a significant possibility he's not.  There's also still the possibility he flails in the primaries and someone else emerges as the GOP nominee.

JEB!!! 

Gotta say, when I moved back down here I got a cable plan where I could choose 15 channels - which worked out really well in terms of what channels I actually watch.  However, the only one I axed that I do on occasion watch is FNC.  I think I chose SyFy over it, but man, regretting that the past 10 hours.  Really would like to drink their tears.

1 hour ago, cock_merchant said:

Big L for MAGA, hopefully not an overall L for Republicans. Need to exorcise election deniers from the party. Candidate quality matters. 

You think Republicans will exorcise the Trumpanistas from them?  Do you think they will walk away from that guaranteed block of votes?  I wish they would but they are to frightened of losing power or the Trumpanistas turning into a ten year seperate movement that splits off their votes.  The Republican party has its foot firmly in the Trumpanista bear trap.

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Boebert is still down 3500 votes with 10% remaining in CO-3. I'd say there are about 30000 votes outstanding, so she might still be able to pull it off.... but who knows.

It sounds like she has a decided advantage with the outstanding ballots.  Otherwise you gotta figure MSNBC and even CNN would be jumping all over it, and they weren't even in the wee hours when there was very little to talk about.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

It sounds like she has a decided advantage with the outstanding ballots.  Otherwise you gotta figure MSNBC and even CNN would be jumping all over it, and they weren't even in the wee hours when there was very little to talk about.

NYT is still stating “leaning toward Boebert.” So yes, she may be slated to pick up most of the remaining unreported votes.

52 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

Trump is officially a loser and failure. An Autopsy will show this. If he isn't removed, then the party will continue to fail and lose the younger generation.  

Desantis has turned Florida from a purple state to a red state. He is the future and has generally stayed away from the big lie.

DeSantis is an election denying fascist.

Democrats have taken control of the Michigan legislature, giving them the trifectia for the first time in 40 years. Redistricting is done by an independent commission, so I'm not sure if any mid-cycle gerrymandering is possible. But very good news for a host of other reasons.

It is also looking like Democrats may have taken the Pennsylvania House, though it's up to two races coming down to the wire and Democrats need to win one (they're up a couple dozen votes in one and down that amount in the other). They can't do too much without the state senate, but at least with the state house they can nullify the ISL nonsense for the state.

Democrats have retaken the Minnesota senate again to get back the trifecta there.

Democrats appear to have blocked Republicans from getting legislative super majorities in Wisconsin or North Carolina, so the governors' vetoes will continue to be vital. Though Republicans gained seats in NC and got real close (they also won control of the state Supreme Court).

Republicans got a legislative super majority in Ohio, so if DeWine is ever not quite crazy enough for them they can overrule him. They also won the state Supreme Court there.

Remains to be seen what happens in Nevada (though Dems likely held even if they end up losing the state wide races), Arizona (possible Dem pickups if the final results are good enough), and Alaska (always weird with its coalition politics).

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Democrats appear to have blocked Republicans from getting legislative super majorities in Wisconsin or North Carolina, so the governors' vetoes will continue to be vital.

Yeah they fell one seat short in the House in NC.  Looks like they just fell short in the Assembly in Wisconsin as well.  Phew.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I always thought Wisconsin was a fairly liberal State… is that simply my misapprehension?

Well, since 2010 and the subsequent redistricting they've had a stranglehold on the legislature via gerrymandering.  Even before then the GOP usually held the Assembly (lower house) dating back to the 94 realignment. 

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I always thought Wisconsin was a fairly liberal State… is that simply my misapprehension?

Milwaukee County is. But the border counties around it skew purple, if not outright Red.  Then there is Madison and a few other pockets of blue, Green Bay and Oshkosh, to some extent. But like Illinois, it's the heavily populated urban areas keeping the red from the country folk from flaring unfettered. The difference being, the major urban centers aren't as large as Chicago combined. 

Archived