US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

17 minutes ago, Gorn said:

It's supposed to be a solid blue state.

Not upstate, not in the west.  Drive through and see confederate flag after con flag, just for starters.  The Hudson Valley is fairly blue, due to gentrification, but still, like Long Island, there is a large contingent that not only resents those second home City folks, and those who have sold up and come from Florida and TX due to those states' politics (the TX billionaires tend to Maine, at least do those we know -- as much as ilks such as us can 'know' such people -- though they have other homes in others places as well)/

20 minutes ago, Gorn said:

What happened in the New York state? Florida got all the headlines, but Democratic congressional candidates seem to have had a pretty bad night there as well. It's supposed to be a solid blue state.

Combo of the Democratic gerrymander getting thrown out by the state courts (thanks Cuomo!) leading to a tougher map, and a general failure by the state Democratic party to mobilize turnout (even Schumer only won by 12% so far; even if the margin improves some it'll be his worst result since 1998). Also, Republican attack ads on crime seem to have been more effective there because they had something tangible to run against: New York did pass bail reform in 2020 and it has become deeply unpopular.

It really is bad though. The lost New York seats might very well be the difference between a Republican House majority and a Democratic one.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not upstate, not in the west.  Drive through and see confederate flag after con flag, just for starters.  The Hudson Valley is fairly blue, due to gentrification, but still, like Long Island, there is a large contingent that not only resents those second home City folks, and those who have sold up and come from Florida and TX due to those states' politics (the TX billionaires tend to Maine, at least do those we know -- as much as ilks such as us can 'know' such people -- though they have other homes in others places as well)/

and don’t forget Staten Island. another bastion of repubs

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It's dominated by prayer warriors and those ilks; that may be blue color but it sure is not 'lib'. 

Are you sure you aren't confusing Pueblo with Colorado Springs? Colorado Springs is where Focus on the Family is located. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing Pueblo with Colorado Springs?

I could be doing that. Though I was going by what my now deceased inlaws told me about the place when they moved there for a while -- before then going to AZ, because Pueblo didn't agree with them, due to the religious fanatics that made their work nearly impossible in the community, atheist scientists that they were.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@ThinkerX

What is the word on the Alaska House Race?

I'm not ThinkerX, but indications are that Peltola is going to win comfortably.  She's at 47% right now, and that is expected to at least hold, if not increase, with the remaining votes.  Then ranked choice will narrow it down to two candidates, and Palin is currently in second.  Last time Peltola won 29% of the votes from ranked choice, so if that holds she'll we well above 50%.  And it's possible she'll get 50% outright without ranked choice at all. 

Just checked in on the AZ races.

Space Kelly and Fontes still look good.

Hobbs 11k vote lead over Lake any good, or not enough?

The AG race down to around 4k votes for Mayes. That used to be more I think. :worried:

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

NPR has an expert from the University of Wisconsin named Dr. “Schropnoggle”.  I have to quote Chandler… is this man secretly a Fraggle?

"Expert" and "from UWI" never belong in the same sentence. 

Lol, the New Hampshire state house, despite it's enormous size, may be headed for a tie thanks to Democratic gains:

It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that the New Hampshire state senate also ends up as a tie, but it seems much less likely.

No idea what the state's tiebreaking procedures are, but the state doesn't have a Lt. Gov. position, so that's not the answer.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Just checked in on the AZ races.

Space Kelly and Fontes still look good.

Hobbs 11k vote lead over Lake any good, or not enough?

The AG race down to around 4k votes for Mayes. That used to be more I think. :worried:

Huge dump for Maricopa county will come only later today. Don’t know if that helps Hobbs. 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

He may be a better option than Trump, but there's a significant possibility he's not.  There's also still the possibility he flails in the primaries and someone else emerges as the GOP nominee.

Or he succeeds in the primaries. And Trump runs anyway because he’s a massive narcissist splitting the ticket.

AZ is still very much up in the air.  There isn't good information on where the remaining votes will be coming from, and there are a lot of votes remaining.  AZ often takes time to count.  Sinema was down for almost a week, but slowly inching closer with each set of votes.  IIRC she finally pulled ahead six days after the election.

But there are reasons to think that the remaining votes will be more Republican leaning than the ones already counted.  I'm not feeling good about the AG race.  Hobbs...I dunno.  We'll see. 

Guess who claims he'll be making perhaps "the most important speech in the history of the United States of America" in Florida on November 15.

Ck,

I have an exciting announcement that I can’t wait to share with you on November 15th.

I’m going to announce something HUGE at MAR-A-LAGO, and I want YOU to be there.

ENTER HERE >>

This announcement will perhaps be the most important speech given in the history of the United States of America. And YOU could be there with me, Ck.

All you have to do is contribute $5 or more, and you’ll automatically be entered to be the VERY FIRST PERSON to meet ME in Mar-a-Lago after my BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. This offer is exclusive to my most LOYAL supporters, like YOU, so DON’T share this with anyone else.

Please contribute $5 TODAY to be automatically entered to win a trip to join me in MAR-A-LAGO on November 15th. >>

https://image.email.donaldjtrump.com/lib/fe2d11727364047f731178/m/2/dec73ebf-594d-41bd-9d37-6cd6fa279cf0.png

CONTRIBUTE $20 >>

CONTRIBUTE $15 >>

CONTRIBUTE $10 >>

CONTRIBUTE $5 >>

CONTRIBUTE ANY AMOUNT >>

This will be the trip of a lifetime, Ck. You’ll never forget this. 

If you win, my team will cover your flight and hotel, AND you’ll get to bring a guest of your choice. We’ll even take a photo together to remember this day forever. My favorite part.

After I give my BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, I want to talk to YOU. Please don’t wait to enter.

Contribute ANY AMOUNT RIGHT NOW to win this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet your favorite President on what will be a HISTORIC DAY.

Thank you, 

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This piece reads like the opening of A.E. Homes's novel, The Unfolding, which also begins on an election night rethug celebration in a pricey EXCLUSIVE White resort complex in Arizona. Sarah Palin is invoked, as she is in other stories in this same paper as to 'what went wrong for us/them.' So are the luxury vehicles and the hierarchy of the parties within the party. As is the sheer ugly of These ilks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/09/arizona-maricopa-kari-lake-rage/

The weirdest element of the whole experience is that this was a Republican party, but not for the Republican Party, if I can say it that way.  It was the MAGA people and the Kelli Ward Crazies from the Arizona State Senate, and instead of the traditional Republican Party party (held at a country club, and according to my neighbor, very lightly attended last night), this Trumpist crowd were over at The Resort at McCormick Ranch.

Now don't get me wrong, The Resort is a nice place in a nice neighborhood, but it must have been a tight, sweaty squeeze for all those folks, as the conference accommodations are reasonably-sized and pleasant, but not enormous.  Or else that weren't actually that many people in attendance, which is my guess.

And why hold their own gig?  Probably because they are busy telling each other that the election process is rigged - the same election process run by normal Republicans who are not currently suffering from psychological issues.

At this point, these people may as well hive off into their own party, since they don't know or don't follow traditional Republican values like limited government, adherence to the Constitution, or financial prudence.  Also, I can't imagine anyone purposely playing Twisted Sister's music to a gathering of Republicans at the Camelback Country Club.

I particularly enjoyed hearing former AZ Party Chairman Robert Graham crapping on them in this article about the Trumpists restricting the media at the event:  The Arizona Republican Party is imposing strict rules on the media for its election night party (azmirror.com)

“I don’t get it. I don’t understand the fear,” former Arizona Republican Party Chairman Robert Graham told the Arizona Mirror. With rules limiting access so severely, Graham didn’t understand why the media would even want to attend the party’s election night event. 

“We weren’t afraid of anything. We trusted our candidates,” Graham said of his time as chairman during the 2014 and 2016 elections, adding that the party did media training with candidates. “We wanted people to see the diversity of our party.” 

“It’s a shame that money they are charging members of the media to attend their event is likely just going to pay for the litany of legal bills for all of the frivolous lawsuits Kelli Ward and the AZ GOP has brought forward,” the Arizona Democratic Party said in a statement to the Mirror. “The Arizona Democratic Party is proud to partner with a union hotel for our Election Night event, and provide at cost accommodations to members of the media to cover the celebration.”

...Graham agreed, adding that the party needed to focus on winning elections instead of making enemies of the media which should instead be an ally for carrying the party’s messages. 

“There’s no real logic to this. People are trying to out-hate the media, and you somehow prove you’re more conservative by hating the media more,” Graham said. “It’s really pathetic we’ve gotten to this place.”

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So with Johnson being called in WI   (:ack:) if I understand right, if NV and AZ hold for Democrats, it doesn't matter if GA goes to a runn off, but if there is a split put west, then everything hinges on GA again...?

Pretty much this.

My understanding is, that Kelly will win his race in AZ, but NV will flip.

Do it again Raph. 

5 hours ago, cock_merchant said:

Trump is officially a loser and failure. An Autopsy will show this. If he isn't removed, then the party will continue to fail and lose the younger generation.  

Desantis has turned Florida from a purple state to a red state. He is the future and has generally stayed away from the big lie.

Those arrested by his election integrity police (or whatever they’re called) may disagree. He may be a tad more subtle at times, that’s all. Imo.

I also think he is as bad as trump, even if slightly less… indigestible? I mean, I think he could be more dangerous b/c of that. Also, he doesn’t seem to have the same reach nationally? My impression only. Would he do well running against trump? The man has the charisma of overcooked Brussels sprouts… 

ETA: good news? Possible good news? This guy has a very good track record: 

Archived