US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

There is a presser going on right now in Clark County regarding how many votes are left outstanding. I think other counties have chimed in as well (including Washoe), and it seems like more votes than expected are uncounted. This is good news for both candidates lol. Still, Catherine (as she calls herself in her emails to me) may yet make it.

Not sure why she is still asking me for money after the elections.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There is a presser going on right now in Clark County regarding how many votes are left outstanding. I think other counties have chimed in as well (including Washoe), and it seems like more votes than expected are uncounted. This is good news for both candidates lol. Still, Catherine (as she calls herself in her emails to me) may yet make it.

Not sure why she is still asking me for money after the elections.

I am enough of a junkie that I currently have a livestream of an empty podium up while I do other things. 

25 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Did she accept the results? I'm asking because she was such a troll ahead of the election.

I dont know if its officially called or conceded yet, but I agree she's shown fascists/propagandist tendencies and merits our scrutiny under the general banner of election deniers. These are the ones we need to fail the hardest.

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not the quite the AP, but the largest newspaper in Oregon is saying:

That's the second prediction I've gotten wrong, along with Evers.  Happy to be wrong for both of them!  Still perfect on the Senate though...

1 minute ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont know if its officially called or conceded yet, but I agree she's shown fascists/propagandist tendencies and merits our scrutiny under the general banner as a election denier. These are the ones we need to fail the hardest.

I don’t think it’s been called but Twitter is afire with magas screaming and demanding all sorts of different things, all totally batshit. Last I checked it was really tight but no idea how many votes are left to be counted. 

Boebert and Frisch is close too, he’s still in the lead. Would be great to get rid of her, she’s really… something. 

45 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

For instance, how/why are republicans so effective in convincing their voters that basic rights are wrong and something to be avoided like the plague.

Because this is the history of the US, even before it was the US: not just racism, but specifically hatred of Black; not just misogyny, but hatred of Woman; not just bigotry, but Born Again xtianity that includes both hatreds (this didn't begin in the 20th C -- read some of poet Emily Dickinson's accounts of what her girls' school did to her when she refused to be born again).  Anything that Black and Woman can participate in, kill it even if it kills me, White and Man.  And, of course, when it comes to Woman, that covers hatred of everything because, you know, male and female created he them.

17 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

AOC won  her race by 40+ points.

Again showing media, pollsters and politicians are woefully ignorant of swathes of latino voters -- Still, yes, STILL! thinking they are homogenous, meaning all Cuban, all Miami.

So there's ~28k mail ballots in Clark that they need to count.  Plus an unknown number of absentee ballots that people put in drop boxes on election day.  Jon doesn't seem alarmed by the mail number being low (it seemed low to me, so I guess the drop boxes are very popular?)

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Based on this presser sounds like 100k outstanding ballots is an unrealistically high estimate.

I dunno. The big question mark aren't the USPS ballots at all, but rather what was put in the drop-boxes on election day. The Vegas unions were encouraging workers to use the drop boxes, which is why there's been the thought that there might be tons of ballots left there.

And the fact that the county clerk didn't have a figure yet suggests that it must be a high number.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

The Vegas unions were encouraging workers to use the drop boxes, which is why there's been the thought that there might be tons of ballots left there.

There would indeed have to be tons based on the other figures - even if you assume the USPS rates remain constant through Saturday, which we really shouldn't (it's intuitive to assume the rate will decrease).

I mean, I thought the guy did well being as informative and clear as he possibly could be.  Anyway, feel like I should mention again that Ralston's estimate may very well be influenced by his own bias (he picked CCM to win).

King County (pop 2.3 million) had 150k mail dropoffs.  Clark County is only a tiny bit smaller (2.2 million) so the idea that they could have 70k+ seems realistic.  Mail ballots are more popular in Washington than Nevada, but all residents had a mail ballot sent to them in Nevada as well. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, we'll find out eventually. And if anyone knows the dimensions of the boxes used in the county clerk's office we could do some envelope math now:

I'm sure someone will try.  But doing the math the other way, if there are 250 ballots per box, that would be 75k ballots (which, when added with teh others he mentioned, would be over 100k in Clark).  Even assuming some of those boxes aren't full, 250 ballots per box doesn't sound like a very big number.  I would that the Over on that.   

Archived