US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Welcome to America!  And it's effectively not any different than if they won the House by such a margin.  The GOP is still gonna confront them on the budget and debt ceiling regardless - before the next Congress starts, even.

What you say may be true from a 2024-perspective, but from a governance perspective keeping the House would be far more preferable. McConnell has shown a willingness the past two years to cut modest deals when enough of his caucus is on board. There have been no deals with McCarthy, and there certainly won't be with a McCarthy entirely beholden to the HFC to keep his gavel.

Also, dealing with endless bogus oversight hearings will be a drain on administrative resources. Maybe not a huge deal, but not nothing.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Happy to say that the Worker's Rights Amendment has passed in Illinois.

I'm not seeing that.  My understanding is that it needs 60% to be enacted since it's a constitutional amendment.  I'm seeing it at 58.5% with 90% reporting. 

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Who the f is lenny dykstra?

A famous baseball player who is a notoriously awful human being. 

Give me your top five footballers who fit that bill, and I will fight you if you list Maradona. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

McConnell has shown a willingness the past two years to cut modest deals when enough of his caucus is on board.

McConnell ain't cutting no deals once the presidential cycle starts - which is pretty much exactly when the next Congress starts.  He cut deals to try and win the Senate last night.  As for the GOP House "oversight," the potential political backlash/benefit far outweighs the hassle.  As Ty intimated - as did Biden in his presser frankly - bring it on.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not gonna watch it. 

To each their own. I still enjoy watching your countrymen, a sliver of my own ancestry, beat the shit out the Brazilians in 2014. 

The matches then weren't built on any less corruption and a lot of people died in the process too. Now there's just no looking away from the obvious. 

World Cup USA 2026! Totally not evil!!!

4 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

After that whole Stock Picking Savant phase he went through and the shape he was in the most surprising thing here is that he's not dead or in jail.  

I'm just going to assume this is true, because you could literally write anything about this guy, say it happened, and how could I disagree, sans one thing (learn something Horsey):

Let's also hope Murkowski wins in Alaska eventually. Better to have a non-batsh*t Republican in power than not (plus some deals can probably be made with her).

Speaking of gridlock, Graham was talking about some bill (tech regulation) that he was co-sponsoring with Warren and was interested in doing something in the energy sector....so, hopefully there are still a few things that can be done in the next 2 years.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

To each their own. I still enjoy watching your countrymen, a sliver of my own ancestry, beat the shit out the Brazilians in 2014. 

The matches then weren't built on any less corruption and a lot of people died in the process too. Now there's just no looking away from the obvious. 

World Cup USA 2026! Totally not evil!!!

Well, to invoke Oscar Wilde*, moral like art means drawing a line somewhere.

And that's world cup has apparently crossed it. 

*I know this quote might be misattributed to Wilde and infact be made by Chesterton. 

I just love how -- NOT! -- every daymed pundit and media blabber mouth who have been blabbering for weeks now how the Dems will be unforgettably beaten the shyte out of them by redwave are now telling us why that didn't happen.  I HATE THE MEDIA.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

I HATE THE MEDIA.

same here. I’m beginning to think that MSM is just as bad as social media. maybe they don’t sell misinformation but they thrive on negativity and doomsday reporting. 

Archived