US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

28 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Let's also hope Murkowski wins in Alaska eventually. Better to have a non-batsh*t Republican in power than not (plus some deals can probably be made with her).

Considering Murkowski barely lost the first round and the voters of the Dem candidate almost certainly preferred her to Tshibaka, I'd say her victory is all but certain.

30 minutes ago, outsourcing consent said:

all you liberals who have masked and vaxxed and done everything you can to eradicate covid… i think you all owe a certain novel coronavirus an apology today 

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What?

It's a metaphor, COVID (OG) is Trump, the vaccine is the American electorate, and as a result we have created the beta-variant DeSanstis

Several good outcomes on ballot initiatives in Arizona, most particularly the Dark Money Reporting Measure that finally got onto the ballot after several tries.

Arizona voters are united. At least when it comes to fat cats who try to buy our vote (msn.com)

One of the biggest issues here are out-of-state interests purchasing local politicians.  Not just your run-of-the-mill political power-grabbers, but specifically evil stuff such as:

Saudi Arabia has a huge alfalfa farm that basically steals water from the state and exports it to the Middle East, and Governor Ducey won't enforce state water regulations or state agriculture regulations on them.

Out-of-state investors have bought city council members in various cities, and as a result, we have numerous apartment blocks being built that violate the right-to-see-the-mountains laws and the zoning regulations.  This after the destruction of long-loved buildings and neighborhoods.

Real estate speculators have and are building tract housing in places like Goodyear without any water rights whatsoever.  Technically illegal, but again, Ducey has done nothing to stop it.  Buyers of homes in these areas are going to be stuck without any water services when the hammer drops, as has already happened to people who built between Scottsdale and Rio Verde without water rights.

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What?

Because COVID killed enough Republicans who didn't mask or vax, it made a difference at the polls, is the intended meaning, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: NYT election page now has the gap between Boebert and Frisch down to 73.

18 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Damn. Why can we never have nice things?!

On the bright side, the conservative sharks are circling around Trump, and it's glorious. Only Marge sticks to him. I bet she still thinks she's gonna be his VP.

Fetterman's victory party otoh trolled Oz:

So anyone wanna take a stab on how long McCarthy can last/stand it as Speaker of the nightmare group of evil petulant children (Damiens?)?  Boehner lasted 58 months, Ryan 38.  Don't wanna go geometric progression, but 18 months sounds like a fun over/under.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

So anyone wanna take a stab on how long McCarthy can last/stand it as Speaker of the nightmare group of evil petulant children (Damiens?)?  Boehner lasted 58 months, Ryan 38.  Don't wanna go geometric progression, but 18 months sounds like a fun over/under.

And if the GOP either somehow doesn't win the House, or only just barely, I wonder if the knives will come out for McCarthy and the hardcore MAGA crowd will try to elevate Scalise instead.

The update from Nevada is there were 57k votes in the Clark drop boxes, so the universe of votes outstanding in Nevada is approximately 145k, plus a few more mail bits tricking in and cured ballots over the next few days.  So something like 150k.  It will be hard for ccm to get back to the lead with that number.  Sisolak is almost assuredly sunk.

4 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

And if the GOP either somehow doesn't win the House, or only just barely, I wonder if the knives will come out for McCarthy and the hardcore MAGA crowd will try to elevate Scalise instead.

Hell on the Senate side too there were rumors Rick Scott would challenge McConnell even before last night's disappointment.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It will be hard for ccm to get back to the lead with that number.  Sisolak is almost assuredly sunk.

Particularly since, per Ralston, 57k of that is coming from Washoe where CCM is currently losing by 4% or about 5k votes.

However, I saw via a Nate Silver post that the NYT needle had CCM winning by 0.4%.  I don't pay for that shit - anyone know where the needle is at now?

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Because COVID killed enough Republicans who didn't mask or vax, it made a difference at the polls, is the intended meaning, if I'm not mistaken.

That’s a recount… at minimum.

31 minutes ago, DMC said:

Over/under nine months, give me the under.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Over/under nine months, give me the under.

That's a bold move, Cotton.

Anyway, maybe I'm just sleep deprived, but wasn't there supposed to be an update on the count for Clark this evening as well?  Still sitting at 80% percent.  I want my updates and I want it NOW!

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's a bold move, Cotton.

Anyway, maybe I'm just sleep deprived, but wasn't there supposed to be an update on the count for Clark this evening as well?  Still sitting at 80% percent.  I want my updates and I want it NOW!

Have you started to that thing where you’re in between awake/asleep and kind of hallucinate/dream while still being active?

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Have you started to that thing where you’re in between awake/asleep and kind of hallucinate/dream while still being active?

I wish!  That usually doesn't start for me til about 45-50 hours of sleeplessness.  And I did get an hour and a half late this morning.

Archived