US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

Lost in the woods, man. 

We’re in the slow burn phase and I napped a lot today because of last night, so for shits and giggles tuned into a bit of Tucker and Hannity tonight. Very different temperaments but they’re on muffled attack. Showing more conviction than I’ve seen from any member of the GOP yet. Had a feel like will to power sophistry, but maybe that has to be a steady state to sell the lies.

But whatever, this is just such a monumental win. It would be nice if the people around Biden weren’t trying to glom on to all of it. There’s certainly things Dem states can be grateful to the Fed machine for, but there are state swings like MI that deserve way more credit to Whitmer and her team on the ground. Stuff like that.

High ranking talking heads messaging unity, while sidelong mentioning the veto pen lol

Crazy shit, and quite possibly the best outcome possible, even with a few things yet in the air. If it had turned out even better for the Democrats, there’s risk there that instead of sullen and lost, the Republicans and their MAGA feelers would’ve been angry and firing off cases to friendly courts already.

It’s almost perfect.

28 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The right's solution to losing (or doing worse than expected) in elections is often voter suppression. In the US it started way back when they decided to hold federal elections on a week day.

While the reasons elections are held on Tuesday are archaic - and like many stupid things in this country due to accommodating religion and farmers - no, it had nothing to do with voter suppression.  It was actually to provide for a travel day, which one could argue is the opposite:

Still, some days of the week were better than others. Two days were definitely out of the question. Most Americans were devout Christians and thus set aside Sunday as a day of rest and worship. Wednesday in many areas was a market day, when farmers sold their crops in town. In addition, a travel day was sometimes required. In rural areas, the nearest polling place might have been several miles away, and, in an era before automobiles, getting there could take a while. If people couldn’t use Sunday or Wednesday as their travel day, then that meant election day couldn’t be on Monday or Thursday, either. And so Tuesday was perceived as the best option.

31 minutes ago, JGP said:

so for shits and giggles tuned into a bit of Tucker and Hannity tonight.

Heh, I just finished looking up clips of FNC to enjoy their whining and crying - Marc Theissen definitely got in the spirit of joining Team DeSanctimonious - and finished with Hannity's (I'm assuming) opening segment.  One thing he honed in on that I can't help but agree with is how ridiculous it is both Arizona and Nevada - and California - take so fucking long counting results. 

I say this every two years, but I guess each state needs to blow a presidential election and change the course of history to figure out how to count ballots quickly, because Florida is now the gold standard in reporting results as fast as possible despite being the third largest state in the country.  New York often sucks at this too btw, albeit they seem much improved this cycle.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

While the reasons elections are held on Tuesday are archaic - and like many stupid things in this country due to accommodating religion and farmers - no, it had nothing to do with voter suppression.  It was actually to provide for a travel day, which one could argue is the opposite:

Isn't it time that with such a high population that the US added at least a second day of voting?

19 hours ago, DMC said:

There's interestingly been a lot of deadlocked legislatures over the last 55 years.  It's pretty fun reading all the different methods of resolving the issue, but I don't see New Hampshire's method mentioned there and can't find anything on a quick search - even though their Senate was tied in 1978. 

I'm still not sure about the state senate, but apparently the way the New Hampshire House functions (even outside of ties) is that whichever party has more members show up on a given legislative day has the majority that day. So when it's tied/close you'll end up with stuff like both parties passing their own budgets, on whichever day they have the majority, and the senate picks the one that their party passed (and likely has to pass unamended; because there's no guarantee when their party will have the majority again.

It looks like the NH House will actually have a 202-198 R majority, so technically this never has to happen. But absences in the NH House are extremely common.

Looks like Republicans will keep the state senate, have 4 out of 5 executive council seats, and of course Sununu won. So Republicans will still run the state government; they just might have a lot of delays passing things in the House.

While I understand from a numbers point of view there is lots of good news from Tuesday (my home state keeps going bluer, and Polis has accomplished a lot of good, for example), but if the Repubs still take the House and the Senate (I know unlikely, but it's still undecided), does it matter if it was a wave or a trickle? 

I look at losing the House and holding the Senate--in this modern era of Trumpism--a failure. The fact exit polls show how many Americans think Republicans would be better for inflation and the economy is truly upsetting.

The Trumpanistas are out in force on Twitter screaming about how “unfair” it is to blame him for the loss of his crazy candidates.  How he’s really still the bestest ever.  

In other words the kool-aid drinkers are ready to chug.  Will DeSantis challenge the cult?  Does DeSantis stand back in the hope of winning the cult to his banner?

42 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm still not sure about the state senate, but apparently the way the New Hampshire House functions (even outside of ties) is that whichever party has more members show up on a given legislative day has the majority that day. So when it's tied/close you'll end up with stuff like both parties passing their own budgets, on whichever day they have the majority, and the senate picks the one that their party passed (and likely has to pass unamended; because there's no guarantee when their party will have the majority again.

That's the most New Hampshire procedure I've ever heard.  It'd be like like the VT state legislature overriding a veto by everyone taking a shot of maple syrup.  

Interesting. The HFC wants a rule change, assuming Republicans do get the House majority, that I'd fully support:

Not only do I think it'd be a good government idea to break the centralized control of the house, but in this case it'd also be good politics. Republicans would have to take a ton of insane votes that the HFC forces and will make good fodder for 2024 attack ads. And it opens the slim possibility of Democrats being able to cut deals for modest stuff. If something is acceptable enough to pass the senate filibuster, it's not impossible that there'd be 22 House Republicans on board as well. (I'm specifically thinking of debt ceiling-related legislation).

Personally, I would find it endlessly funny if the House majority came down to Colorado's 3rd district, and Boebert losing it, her seat and the majority. I know it's extremely unlikely esp. After the GOP pick ups in NY (3rd , 4th, 17th, 19th and possibly 22nd).

53 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Personally, I would find it endlessly funny if the House majority came down to Colorado's 3rd district, and Boebert losing it, her seat and the majority. I know it's extremely unlikely esp. After the GOP pick ups in NY (3rd , 4th, 17th, 19th and possibly 22nd).

Does anyone know the latest on House control? I know there's an extremely narrow pathway for Dems, but not finding a good resource that is up-to-date and gives the latest info. NYTimes website useless.  

6 hours ago, DMC said:

the reasons elections are held on Tuesday are archaic

People forget how -- shall we say lively? -- things got on election day in the 19th and first decades of the the 20th Centuries. Serious drunkeness and demos of other lively behaviors, which would have interfered with Sunday Sabbath.

The media today all screaming about what a mess the reich is -- they collectively need bitch slapping. As the thousands of responses to Dana Millbank's piece today shows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/09/media-blew-red-wave-predictions-wrong/

Archived