US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

To put this mid-term result in some recent context. Looking at the mid-terms for Clinton and Obama's first terms the Democrats got absolutely crushed in the House and spanked in the Senate (albeit they held on to their majorities in the senate). So this mid-term modest loss of seats (and probably majority in the House) sort of sets things up quite well for 2024, makes 2024 the Democrat's to lose, which of course they are very good at doing.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

To put this mid-term result in some recent context. Looking at the mid-terms for Clinton and Obama's first terms the Democrats got absolutely crushed in the House and spanked in the Senate (albeit they held on to their majorities in the senate). So this mid-term modest loss of seats (and probably majority in the House) sort of sets things up quite well for 2024, makes 2024 the Democrat's to lose, which of course they are very good at doing.

The obvious analogue for this midterm is 1998 - where Republican overreach and impeachment obsession led to a backlash resulting in the Senate staying the same and the Dems picking up 5 seats.  What that means for 2024 is the Dems should obviously be praying Trump wins the nomination.  If not, it's likely going to be considerably more dependent on traditional fundamentals that we have no idea about right now.  However, the backlash towards the MAGA crazies and anti-abortion efforts of the GOP could very well endure at least to some extent even without Trump.

On Nevada, Ralston just said Washoe county will have another dump later tonight...

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

...Ok, so Kornacki is saying now he's assuming the 26k was counting what was released last night and just now - just under 12 thousand - combined.  Leaving 56k votes from Clark.

Anyway, the just released votes saw 61/34 split to cut the lead to 12,671.  If all that is true, it's gonna be very, very close.

Yeah, this isn't 2020; it doesn't seem a sure thing at all anymore that CCM will get a lead. She certainly can, but it doesn't seem like Clark is going to be enough, going to depend on Washoe. If the remaining vote there is like the vote drop yesterday, she'll be fine. But if its not, or if the rural counties still have a bunch of votes left themselves...well, at least there's the Georgia run-off coming up.

Kelly in AZ seems fine though.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Kelly in AZ seems fine though.

Maricopa just dropped their new batch - 75k votes.  Looks like it will stretch Kelly's lead to about 114k and change.  That's a big enough lead to handle the remaining 290k.  I'm personally calling that one.

It's still kind of mind blowing, when you stop and consider it, that tripping on shrooms is now legal in Colorado. I'm not sure if I'll ever do it again, one time for example I nearly died because my friend driving a boat nearly crashed it because his hat blew away (he's a lawyer and in a government post, state will not be named), but I can't lie, one of the funniest times of my life. All of us day trippers got naked and stood on the bow of the boat waving to a tourist ship common on Lake Minnetonka. 

The evening ended with us having to row the boat back to the dock, a few miles away. It's good to be young and dumb! 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's still kind of mind blowing, when you stop and consider it, that tripping on shrooms is now legal in Colorado. I'm not sure if I'll ever do it again, one time for example I nearly died because my friend driving a boat nearly crashed it because his hat blew away (he's a lawyer and in a government post, state will not be named), but I can't lie, one of the funniest times of my life. All of us day trippers got naked and stood on the bow of the boat waving to a tourist ship common on Lake Minnetonka. 

The evening ended with us having to row the boat back to the dock, a few miles away. It's good to be young and dumb! 

Probably won't be quite as fun as that. My understanding is that the proposition decriminalizing them, but it doesn't legalize the production and sale of them except in the context of medical treatment. Now that could end up being like the old medical marijuana cards that were a joke to get, but supposedly you'll only be able the drugs at licensed "healing centers" where you will be required to take them on the premises.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Probably won't be quite as fun as that. My understanding is that the proposition decriminalizing them, but it doesn't legalize the production and sale of them except in the context of medical treatment. Now that could end up being like the old medical marijuana cards that were a joke to get, but supposedly you'll only be able the drugs at licensed "healing centers" where you will be required to take them on the premises.

How many people booming are strictly concerned with following the rules?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

How many people booming are strictly concerned with following the rules?

Sure. But if they didn't care about the rules, there was nothing stopping them before this prop either.

Same story in Oregon (“licensed healing centers”, administered by professional staff).  A lot of the rural counties opted out, but I think will eventually allow it for tax revenue (a la cannabis sales).  https://psychedelicalpha.com/data/oregon-psilocybin-tracker

Going to be more of a “controlled spa environment where you pay us $400 for a moderate mild high” experience, not a “eat this ziploc full of liberty caps, play some hackey sack until it peaks and stare at a tree while you telepathically commune with it, then look at yourself in the mirror, and throw up while freaking out about death” ride

Lost track of the article already, but some nitwit official or other Kentucky basically flat-out said the rejection of proposition 3 (the one that would have banned abortion) should not be considered as mattering in a judicial sense.

That said, another vanished article confirms Mindwalker's post about a conservative judge in Texas claiming Biden's student loan forgiveness package was unconstitutional. I recollect spirited debate in the comments section.

That said, maybe the student loan forgiveness thing could be folded into the lame duck congressional session, making more than a mere executive order? And maybe look into forgiving just the interest...

2 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

That said, maybe the student loan forgiveness thing could be folded into the lame duck congressional session, making more than a mere executive order? And maybe look into forgiving just the interest...

The reason Biden resorted to an EO was because there's no way to get that through Congress.

2 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Lost track of the article already, but some nitwit official or other Kentucky basically flat-out said the rejection of proposition 3 (the one that would have banned abortion) should not be considered as mattering in a judicial sense.

That said, another vanished article confirms Mindwalker's post about a conservative judge in Texas claiming Biden's student loan forgiveness package was unconstitutional. I recollect spirited debate in the comments section.

I guess politically it doesn't really matter what a judge says now. Biden got all the voter traction he could from it already. If it gets overturned and no one's loan gets a shave it'll just be a political football for a while where the Democrats say the right are a bunch of meanies to people struggling under the weight of their loans, and the Republicans will say the liberals don't give a shit about all the struggling people who paid off their loans already and the current generation are a bunch of whiners who don't know the meaning of hard work. And unless Biden (or whoever) specifically campaigns in 2024 on a promise to provide student loan forgiveness, and to reform the whole cost of university education thing the issue will disappear for another generation.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, C&P the specific Tweet, not the handle.

Yes, @Zorral, can you please edit that if you don't mind?  It's way too much.

Anyway, Aguilar has now taken the lead in the Nevada SoS race btw.  Personally calling that one as well.

[mod] Folks, embedding one tweet per post is fine, two or three at a push, ten... is right out. Makes threads unreadable on many devices. Don't do it.

Also, if you're going to embed tweets to discuss an individual tweet or illustrate a point that's OK but we're not looking for a Twitter digest.

Thanks. [/mod]

Archived