US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I bet he threatens to run as 3rd candidate if he doesn't get the nomination. 

He could try, though last I saw 45 states have sore loser laws against it. There is a legal argument that those laws in most states don't apply to presidential candidates. But I imagine most Republican judges would rule against him to protect their nominee.

Seems moot though. I'll believe DeSantis can beat Trump when I see it. I think Trump is still heavily favored, even in a 1-on-1 matchup.

I wouldn't count on the Trump fever breaking among Trump voters. I get the idea that him being a huge f'ing loser might wake some of them up. I thought the same thing and repeatedly found out no, they love a big loser as long as they pretend the loss didn't happen. Maybe it'll break in 2028 or something, but it's impossible to predict and predictions that it's about to end usually end up being wrong.

And because it won't break he's probably going to win the primary. Especially if it's crowded. The main chance it won't go to a Trump win is if the party mavens actively force removals of candidates so that a united front can be brought against Trump.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’re seeing Establishment Republicans calling for the Losing Loser who Loses to step back… because he’s a loser.  It’s eating him up.

I do not see Trump leaving the Republican party just because a lot of "Establishment Republicans" as individuals  turn against him. These Establishment types would have to get a solid majority of the party apparatus to turn against him before he would leave, and his follwers have taken over the party apparatus in so many places I'm not sure that's really likely to happen. 

I'm not sure how crowded the field will be in 2024 with Trump running though.  Especially if desantis is also running, which I think he will.  I know politicians are often delusional, but you'd have to be a moron to think ted cruz or Kristi noem are gonna win the nom.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not sure how crowded the field will be in 2024 with Trump running though.  Especially if desantis is also running, which I think he will.  I know politicians are often delusional, but you'd have to be a moron to think ted cruz or Kristi noem are gonna win the nom.

Well, Chris Christie is running. So pretty delusional. But then there was plenty of delusional Democrats last time, too. The problem is Republican candidates already invested in their delusion.

15 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, Chris Christie is running. So pretty delusional. But then there was plenty of delusional Democrats last time, too. The problem is Republican candidates already invested in their delusion.

Christie is just a pain pig, not so much delusional as he almost assuredly gets his jollies from public humiliation. 

Oh please, let him announce on the 15th and not cave in to everyone begging him not to! I mean, it would be very uncharacteristic for him, but otoh he apparently wanted to announce before the midterms and was persuaded not to.

Despite several establishment Republicans and right-wing pundits basically calling for his head (and Murdoch has really sicced his rags on him), I don't see the base going for deSatan as long as Trump is running. All those pundits and politicians are testing the waters and they'd be happy to have a more reliable/ controllable fascist im power, but they'll happily support him to keep/ seize power.

And Garland will at best appoint a Special Master, which will delay prosecution until either a Republican is DOJ or nobody cares anymore anyway.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

DeSantis, Cruz, and Pence are locks.  I'd say Haley is too, but she does have quite the history of changing her mind.  One reason Trump wanted to announce so soon - other than because it's the only thing he likes doing - was to try to clear the field.  That probably wasn't going to work anyway, but certainly isn't after Tuesday. 

People like Youngkin and Noem may have been scared off before - especially considering they may be angling for VP - but I doubt it anymore.  ...Unless Trump does pick a VP early on.  It's always been a silly and presumptuous notion to do before you win the nomination, that's exactly the type of thing Trump would do and it ain't like it'd hurt him, so it'd probably be a good idea.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, can somebody already open a new thread, before I feel obliged to.

27 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ormond has (thankfully) opened up a new thread btw. 

When did you become thread nazi?

Many apologies for whatever it was I did or didn't do, commenting/posting.

Our providers at home and school have been having frequent, unpredictable outages here ever since the first one I noticed -- my fone, outside! -- mid-yesterday.  It just goes out from one nano second to another in the middle of anything one is doing. At first we all thought it was us, and went through all the steps one goes through.  But by this morning when the whole library system went down, we knew better.  Also each subsequent outage lasts longer than the previous one.  Argh.

Archived